Forum newbie having issues posting... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Forum newbie having issues posting...

I'm not new to forums but I cannot figure this one out: thus far, my posts to the H&R ML forum don't seem to be going anywhere and an attempt to PM a mod doesn't show as sent in my outbox (the save to sent option is checked in my preferences). If this makes it through, can anyone offer any suggestions as to what may be happening? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Um, nevermind, I guess. I reposted it after this one made it through and it seems to be OK.

Last edited by Joe Bleaux; 01-15-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Problem seems to have resolved itself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, at least I can see this one...weird. Again, any suggestions, and again, thanks in advance!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 AM

Joe, welcome to GBO. Lots of knowledge on all things Handi, enjoy yourself here. Take care, John.

P.S. Judging by the spelling of your last name would you be in/from Louisiana by any chance?

It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!
NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmeister View Post
Joe, welcome to GBO. Lots of knowledge on all things Handi, enjoy yourself here. Take care, John.

P.S. Judging by the spelling of your last name would you be in/from Louisiana by any chance?
You guess correctly - New Orleans/MS Gulf Coast and thanks for the welcome. As those familiar with the area know, H&Rs became very popular down here due to the rather, um, interesting "muzzleloader" hunting laws, which allowed H&R/NEF guns (only) chambered in metallic cartridge calibers over .35 to be used during "muzzleloader"/"blackpowder" season. What made it "interesting" is that there were already lots of older H&R shotguns and Toppers around here, but the law only allowed .35 caliber or larger, so you could hunt deer legally with a low-power .38 Spl in a .357 mag or a low-power .44 Spl in a .44 mag, but using a .30-30, .243 or .30/06, which are all more appropriate for the smaller southern LA/MS deer, was a no-no. 1000s upon 1000s of .35 Whelens, 45/70s, .444s, etc. were sold down here. Now that they have done away with that on private land (it is still required on public land last I checked - I don't hunt public land), there is a dearth of 45/70s, .444s, and .35 Whelens (and even .357s, .44s and .500 S&Ws) down here, plus, lots of folks, myself included, ordered 1-2 extra barrels back when they were readily available cheap from the factory. Most of the unwanted guns have been soaked up, but 2-3 years ago, you could pick up Handis all day long for $100-150 and barrels for $50 or less. I now have at least a barrel just about every metallic/shotgun chambering, including my grandfather's old Toppers, but recently picked up a 12 ga. ML barrel and am dipping my toe into the ML world, which led me to post rather than continue to lurk here on GBO.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:32 PM

Welcome Joe. There was quite a lot of discussion here when Louisiana's new "Primitive" season aired. You can probably search it here and find the threads. I shoot a stainless .50 cal. Huntsman. It has taken more deer than any other Handi I own. The reason is simple. The other Handis share the rifle season. The Huntsman has a season all to itself. The separate season in itself is a joke. The huntsman will kill anything within 2-300 yards just as a center fire rifle will.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family: .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one Superlight .243, standard .243, .30-30, 16.5 inch .30-40, .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55. 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page