H&r 223 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Default H&r 223

Hey guys, new to your forum, I already had two in 357 and 17HMR. At a gun show Saturday I picked up a like new 223. I took it to the range today to sight it in and shot 20 rounds or so of 62 grain green tips. The majority keyholed at 35 yards. My first thought was bad rifling so I bought some 55 grain FMJ and they shot fine. It is a 22” barrel with ejector and I assume it’s a 1:12 twist that doesn’t like heavier bullets. Any thoughts, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C0D91DA-9D37-4919-A5E7-6DC4D4D88FBD_1548213623978.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	582.7 KB
ID:	225694  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Larger, longer bullets are often found printing keyholes where a shorter, lighter bullet performs well. Can happen in a lot of calibers.

Either the rifling twist is not fast enough to stabilize them, or they need to be pushed faster/harder. Increase the RPM's.

Myself I prefer the slower twist rifling and cast bullets, slowed down to 13-1600 fps.

Your on the right track.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosth View Post
Larger, longer bullets are often found printing keyholes where a shorter, lighter bullet performs well. Can happen in a lot of calibers.

Either the rifling twist is not fast enough to stabilize them, or they need to be pushed faster/harder. Increase the RPM's.

Myself I prefer the slower twist rifling and cast bullets, slowed down to 13-1600 fps.

Your on the right track.
Yup, Darrell its the length of the bullet not its weight.

1:12 is gonna pretty much limit you to the length of a 55G even then some of those may not do great. Also there are some slightly heavier built to work with the slower twist of the older barrels.

I picked up a Savage 24P a couple months back and find exactly the same deal... My preferred 62G don't even hit the paper... all the time. But 40/50/53G shoot near MOA. I tried some 63G that are supposed to work and found, oblong holes, meaning that aint stabilizing well enough.

I don't know the twists and dates they changed and where offered. But IINM they are 1:9 on the last produced rifles.

Try some 55 or lighter. Hornady offers a 50G Vmax that a shooter in some rifles. Or hand load them if your able.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I’ve never ran into that before, my ARs are 7,8 and 9 twist. I’m glad it likes 55g, I have plenty of that. With guns you learn something new all the time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Just purchased a 223 barrel myself, 22" 1:12 twist. Cut the barrel to 18". Defiantly 55 g for this one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:18 PM

Mine likes 40gr. Nosler lead free
On top of TAC

Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 AM

I have been trying 40's and 50's and even some of Landowners Bator lead! They are all really shooting well!

This one only has a red dot, but I'm real happy with the accuracy!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 AM

I had no problem getting the bator cast bullet to shoot well in my .223. Worked up a couple of lower power red dot loads, one with gas check and one without. Both were good enough, accurate enough, quiet enough that I pretty much retired my old Ruger 10/22. At the time .22lr was costing a dime ea, if you could find them.

I could easily reload .223 for less than that, with better performance and more punch so it was a simple decision for me.

3-5 grains of Red Dot below a 55 gr cast bullet makes a very nice quiet shooting load. All would easily do minute of squirrel head at least as far as .22lr would reach.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in