I struck gold! - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
With the price these single shot rifles now it sure seems like there made of gold. Some of these barrels are going for amazing amounts on e-bay. 350.00 + shipping for a 30-30 barrel. Incredible.
At the rate these guns are being disassembled and sold off as barrels, stock sets, receivers, and parts, the problem is only going to get worse. The pool of factory assembled complete guns available on the secondary market shrinks every time this occurs and the price is driven upward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:45 PM

team 101,that may be true...however,most folks that have been bitten by the Handi gun bug already own several receivers,and the barrel buying option is generally more appealing the the purchase of a complete firearm,exspecially one that requires shipping...because then you must add in additional fees for the FFL holder to receive/transfer as well as the federal background check...I know myself,I currently have 20+ frames and at least 30 barrels,and finding a frame that a particular barrel will.lock up.on usually is not an issue...
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:50 AM

I have to agree with tender.

Made a big difference once I got more than 5 receivers. Any barrel I tried would lock up on one of them, often 2 or 3.

I have also bought complete guns however because by the time you add up barrel + Receiver + stock set it seemed I had quite a bit invested.

If I can buy the whole gun for just a little more than just the barrel I will.

But I have also paid 400$ for a .45 colt unfired barrel. And in my opinion, I stole it. And it was worth every penny.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 PM

I guess I'm a minority, but I prefer buying a complete factory fitted gun and not a barrel that I hope fits my receiver.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:00 PM

About 7 years ago a fellow moderator at PAFOA scored a Buff Classic Carbine in a bulk gun estate auction. He had won it in his bid for about 5 guns, however the BCC didn't do anything for him. And he knew I'm an H&R collector. So he offered his to me for $200. 98% condition BCC for $200 - yeah, I jumped into my pants and boots, then drove the 20 some-odd miles to meet him in a grocery store parking lot.

A year later he won another estate auction bid that had some Savage pistols, and a nice H&R Self-Loading .32ACP. And again, he offered it up to me. He knew I was going to take it anyway and was already one the way to my local FFL to do our state transfer of a handgun.

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I guess a lot of this handi rifle stuff is just in the eye of the beholder. When I was a kid I hunted everything with a single shot. I had an Ivers Johnson 20 gauge and a Remington 514 22. I even killed deer and fox with those two guns. When I graduated high school I left them on grandpa's gun rack on the farm figuring that I would pick them up on my next trip to see him. My sticky fingered uncle took both of them and I never got them back.

I got married shortly after high school and went to work on a dairy farm. We had a baby a year later and whether I wanted to or not I had to be responsible(and I was most of the time). I killed all of my pheasants in the 70's over a German Shorthair who was son to PJ Wildfire. He made the hunt...neither my dog nor the pheasants cared that I was killing them with a topper 158 12 gauge. This past pheasant season I started carrying my old Topper again towards the end of the year. I actually killed my limit of three birds with that old gun the last Saturday of the season. Even I had a big smile at the end of that day.

I guess when you become an old guy things sort of come full circle. I have been all over the lower 48 and hunted everything that there is to hunt and often with some high dollar guns. These days I am kind of back to where I started. Sitting in a squirrel woods with my 514 or following my 2 year old shorthair where ever his nose leads us with that old Topper in hand.

I bought one of the ATI 450 Bushmasters and a Ruger American 450 Bushmaster but my son has one and my grandson the other. The 45 Colt Classic Carbine is just me getting back to my roots in the deer woods. I retire for good in a year and my retirement plan revolves around a whole lot of keeping it simple! I have killed a whole lot of game in my life and I don't plan to let up when I retire. I will just have more time to do it and I am going to do it the way that I want to do it.

This has nothing to do with the 45 Colt so I guess that I am hijacking my own thread but last year I was invited to hunt pheasants on Brownells Big Springs pheasant preserve. I met my son there with his high falootin cliental for the hunt. My son is a good boy and includes his old man in on everything. Well the cliental all showed up in new trucks and when they got out of the trucks they looked like they had just stopped a Cabela's and maxed out their credit cards on new duds. Here I am in my ratty old brush pants and orange vest full of briar holes. They all got their guns out and put them on the gun cases on top of the hood of my sons truck. One young lad had a Perazzi over and under. He also had a boot licker dog that was 4 years old that spent more time point his own a$$ than he did looking for birds. This young mucky muck made a rye comment about ole "Thumper"....my Topper 158. My son read my thoughts and told the young guy that the old Topper had killed more pheasants than the Perazzi would in it's life time. My son told me to shoot the first couple of birds before the snot nosed kid with the fancy gun got his to his shoulder....and I did. I have always let guests shoot the birds and am content to just watch my dog work. But then I never hunted with anyone like this arrogant snot nosed kid before. I had no sympathy for him when those brand splinter new hunting boots started wearing blisters on his feet two hours into the hunt......I guess that makes me a hard a$$.........or just an old man that likes to keep it simple!
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I had ... a Remington 514 22. ... sitting in a squirrel woods with my 514
That was my first rifle also! Got it in the early 50's and still have it! It taught me how to get close to squirrels for head shots with 22 shorts

Quote:
I killed all of my pheasants in the 70's over a German Shorthair
I had a German Wirehair in the 70's. He was trained on Sharptails by John Rex Gates but pheasants were in short supply in Alabama and Georgia!

Quote:
I guess that makes me a hard a$$...
Naw. I understand you completely! It must be an "Old Man" thing. Even though I'd bet you're a good bit younger than I am! BTW, I envy you your son.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the 45 Colt
True dat... Let's get back on topic.

I have a 45 Colt B.C. Carbine my own self. I've never even fired it, but I will! ... Soon! (I hope)
I bought it on clearance from one of the bigger suppliers... Paid $199.99 + shipping I think

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
That was my first rifle also! Got it in the early 50's and still have it! It taught me how to get close to squirrels for head shots with 22 shorts

I had a German Wirehair in the 70's. He was trained on Sharptails by John Rex Gates but pheasants were in short supply in Alabama and Georgia!

Naw. I understand you completely! It must be an "Old Man" thing. Even though I'd bet you're a good bit younger than I am! BTW, I envy you your son.

True dat... Let's get back on topic.

I have a 45 Colt B.C. Carbine my own self. I've never even fired it, but I will! ... Soon! (I hope)
I bought it on clearance from one of the bigger suppliers... Paid $199.99 + shipping I think
You want to make 33% money on your 45 carbine? I'll fetch ya $300 for it and I'm starting low. Ha!

I just hope my wife doesn't read this thread....she thinks all of my gun purchases are Rabbi deals. You guys could make me look bad. I never ever care what anyone thinks about me but my wife.....cuz she don't fight fair! Her silent treatment is worse than any a$$ whooping I ever got even when I was outnumbered!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
You want to make 33% money on your 45 carbine? I'll fetch ya $300 for it and I'm starting low. Ha!
I'm afraid you just gonna haveta wait 'till I ... uh ... expire. I plan to have all my H&R's offered here first.

Now I might part with my murder-sickle. Poor thing ain't been rid in a while now! This pic is 12 years old!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knoxville2006-014.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	228024  

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 AM

How about this one- "honey, we know our paper currency isn't backed by anything, if I can turn our dollars into something tangible you will have more should our good Lords call me home before you".
Anything to help, friend.

The young snot nose presented you with a teachable moment and you did something great to
bring him back to humility and contrition, it was a holy thing you did for him! Lets hope he didn't squander it.
blessings

Come quickly, Lord Jesus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page