Should I be upset? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Default Should I be upset?

Bought a barrel off an auction site. The barrel was described as like new with little or no handling marks. The seller did state that it was bought second hand but he had never shot it. The price was fair.

The first thing I noticed when unboxing was that the rifle had been fitted to another receiver, the filing was obvious. This I considered as severe handling marks. The barrel locks up to my receiver extremely loose with lots of up and down and side to side movement. I can fit the barrel, but it’s going to take building up the lug quite a bit. Otherwise the the barrel looks good.

If I had known my receiver was the third receiver this barrel was fitted to, I might have still bought it, just would not have paid as much for it.

Should I be upset, or should I just shut up, fit the barrel, and move on?

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 PM

I have a couple of matching receivers and barrels ( same numbers engraved on the barrel as the stamped numbers on the receiver ) that have handling marks from fitting the barrel to the receiver. Do you have other receivers to check it on? Is it a rare caliber?

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede View Post
I have a couple of matching receivers and barrels ( same numbers engraved on the barrel as the stamped numbers on the receiver ) that have handling marks from fitting the barrel to the receiver. Do you have other receivers to check it on? Is it a rare caliber?
Itís actually a a Sportster and the new barrel is 17 HMR. I only have the one Sportster receiver. I do however have SB1 and SB2 receivers I can lock it up on several and see how it does.

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Most frames it will not even lock up on. I locks up loose on a few and locks up perfectly on my Versa Pack frame.

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:55 PM

I understand your disappointment, but I'd just write it off as something that sometimes happens when buying sight unseen. Seller may or may not have had any intention to mislead you. If he doesn't have any experience with H&R's he may not have noticed the filing marks, and if he did he may not have thought them unusual. I suppose it's possible the marks were made at the factory - after all H&R did go thru a period of disgruntled and/or new employees when Remington moved production!

Do you have to keep it or is there an inspection period where you can send it back for refund?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I understand your disappointment, but I'd just write it off as something that sometimes happens when buying sight unseen. Seller may or may not have had any intention to mislead you. If he doesn't have any experience with H&R's he may not have noticed the filing marks, and if he did he may not have thought them unusual. I suppose it's possible the marks were made at the factory - after all H&R did go thru a period of disgruntled and/or new employees when Remington moved production!

Do you have to keep it or is there an inspection period where you can send it back for refund?
The seller says no returns. The site itself has a guarantee. They will make a determination if the item was described correctly or not. If they say not described correctly my money is refunded.

I am going to go ahead and fit the barrel. It locks up tight on a .006 feeler gauge. Just have to decide if to use shims or have my brother well and treat it for me.

The seller stated to me that he had a gunsmith fit the barrel to his frame, then put it away and never shot it due to a broken firing pin. I should have asked for a picture of the breech end. He provided pictures of the rest of the barrel.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	796C4A35-0701-40CD-84B8-80563DE79B47.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	229526  

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 PM

anytime you are buying something on the internet it is a crapshoot. I try to ask a lot of questions about things I might be concerned about. Sellers usually embellish condition so just be ready. Fortunately with barrels they can be altered to work. I just bought 2 rifle barrels on GBO and they were pretty much as advertised. One locks up on one of my receivers the other does not so it will require some work but I was aware that it might be that way. A brand new barrel might not work on one of your receivers so it really doesn't matter that it has been fitted to another receiver. I just bought 2 12 ga. model 88s on mi. armslist (2 different sellers) both advertised as light rust but lock up tight with no sideplay. Both were covered with rust and had lots of sideplay. I got a good price on both and have them looking really good, the stocks and receivers were worth what I paid for them. I shimmed both and adjusted the forearm and they are rock solid. I just enjoy doing it.

mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg916 View Post
Itís actually a a Sportster and the new barrel is 17 HMR. I only have the one Sportster receiver. I do however have SB1 and SB2 receivers I can lock it up on several and see how it does.

If it locks up on one of your SB2 frames, you could have it reamed to .17 Hornady Hornet...

Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page