Front sight - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Default Front sight

My latest Handi rifle had a bent front sight. I'd try straightening it but I'm afraid of snapping the screw. Any one know of a source for a replacement front sight than doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:19 PM

I bought one from Brownell's, for my 45 70. Works very well. Had to get a taller sight due to putting a WGRS peep on it. If you need a regular sight Ill send ya the one i took off. Let me know...Bobby

Draw a fine bead on em Son!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanx, I'll check there. I'm also using a peep so I need the tall front sight. The rifle came with a tall front sight but I'm not sure if it got bent here or if it came that way. If it wasn't so thick, I'd try bending it back...

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Remove the sight and straighten it, be sure to heat the screw a bit with a soldering iron to soften the thread locker so you don't strip the socket head screw out which they're good at!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Gun Cabinet

Low, medium, high. The choice is yours, if needed. Just PM me your address.

Thanks, Dinny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190506_190218_1557183751403.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	230110  

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanx Dinny, I'll shoot you a PM. I have a 220 watt soldering gun that I'm sure will get it hot enough to melt the loctite...

Tony
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I got and installed the sight Dinny so graciously sent me and what do you know but it's still canted to the left. It turns out that the front sight hole is drilled slightly off. I assume the previous owner never noticed since he scoped the rifle rather than used it with a peep like I'm doing.

I tried cutting a strip of card stock from a cartridge box and put it under the down hill side of the sight and that made it straight but it also gave a gap on the other side. I'm thinking of filing down the under side of sight to cant it back the other way and use a strip of brass from a cartridge case on the other side. This way I bring up a little on one side and down a little on the other.

What do you guys think?

Tony
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Default Front sight problem solved.

I went ahead with my plans to file down the one side of the front sight and shim the other. I think I did a pretty good job taking about .010" off the high side. I made a shim from a cracked .22 Hornet case and put it under the low side and now the sight sticks straight up like it should.

The Hornet case was a bit short so there's a gap at the back of the sight. I might go back later and make a longer shim from some other old cartridge case but it's good enough for now...

Tony
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:48 PM

Tony,
I tell you beside the o ring hack for a handi, the best friend for fitting things is HVAC aluminum tape. (Thanks Tim) it's so easy to cut and layer and it's sticky on one side. You may surprised what it can do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

I'll look into getting some of that aluminum tape. I scrapped the brass shim in favor of a plastic one but I think that HVAC tape would be easier to work with. I'll like to shim it a little more but I was having problems keeping the shim from falling out...

If I'm not happy with the results, I'll have it drilled for a Remington front sight ramp since I have one I took off my .243...

The hole for the front sight leans to the left so you can figure out the joke I was going to make about it.

Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page