For the 350 Legend fans - Page 12 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 06:26 PM

The .357 Max is a great round but with the .350 Legendís arrival, it has taken itís final breath....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.357 Mag Shorty
.444 Marlin
45-70 Smokeless MZ
.50 Huntsman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2tri24 View Post
The .357 Max is a great round but with the .350 Legendís arrival, it has taken itís final breath....

With gun/ reloading nuts? No way Jose.
The Maximum is too good to die and I dont even have one. New cartridges are not always successful but we'll see. I'm thankful our legal cartridges for deer are .25ACP to .700 Nitro and everything in between

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #113 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:14 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2tri24 View Post
That's a bold statement, but time will tell.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:11 PM

As far as the general shooting world was concerned, the Max was as good as dead shortly after Ruger over reacted, recalled and destroyed as many of their guns as they could get their hands on.

Back when TC was pushing handguns, they still sold a bunch even after Ruger was out of the picture and Dan Wesson revolver sales dropped off.

Over time, break open rifle guys found the round to be an easy upgrade to their 357 magnums.

There are enough guns out there that Starline is not going to stop making brass.

For break open guns, the rim makes the max easier to extract. Other reasons to choose the max include using 38/357 carbide sizing dies, the 0.357" bore and the headspacing on the rim.

My bet is that the max will continue to be a slow seller (as it has been) for both new barrels and for 357 mag upgrades.

The only game changer that would ever get the max more mainstream would be a factory offering of a lever gun. This is not likely as there is no reliable source of factory ammo.

Last edited by P Flados; 12-28-2019 at 11:15 PM.
post #115 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
As far as the general shooting world was concerned, the Max was as good as dead shortly after Ruger over reacted, recalled and destroyed as many of their guns as they could get their hands on.

Back when TC was pushing handguns, they still sold a bunch even after Ruger was out of the picture and Dan Wesson revolver sales dropped off.

Over time, break open rifle guys found the round to be an easy upgrade to their 357 magnums.

There are enough guns out there that Starline is not going to stop making brass.

For break open guns, the rim makes the max easier to extract. Other reasons to choose the max include using 38/357 carbide sizing dies, the 0.357" bore and the headspacing on the rim.

My bet is that the max will continue to be a slow seller (as it has been) for both new barrels and for 357 mag upgrades.

The only game changer that would ever get the max more mainstream would be a factory offering of a lever gun. This is not likely as there is no reliable source of factory ammo.

I agree..the Max was destroyed by the rumors and Rugerís response to them. With commercial support availability it has been treading water only by hand loaders seeking an edge to straight wall regulations...
Now with this roundís virtually identical performance and inexpensive commercial ammo, we must accept only a few of the most stubborn will resist the lateral slide to the .350L in order to save money, provide more flexibility in regards to platforms and ammo availability...
The likelihood of seeing a Levergun in .350 Legend this year from Henry or Marlin is much more likely( and certainly in the works for both already) than the .357 Max due to the fact no commercial ammo has been offered in years...
I loved the Max and will keep mine for itís flexibility shooting .38spl,357 Mag and Max in a single shot for the kids, but unfortunately the .350 Legend is going to fill the void that was left when mfgís turned their back on the Max years ago....

.357 Mag Shorty
.444 Marlin
45-70 Smokeless MZ
.50 Huntsman
post #116 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 05:46 PM

I sure hope the Maxi dont die. I like the versatility of multi caliber in ammo from mild to wild. Not quite seen that with the legend. If you buy factory ammo then legend may be your ticket, but ppl like Dinny, CW longshot etc have fine tuned the maxi to a perfection. Every powder, primer and brass is readily available. Every bullet except 180SSPs are as well. Plus the plethora of cast loads. So I dont see the maxi dying to purists, but the legend has killed sales in the straight walled states. Then again the new broom always sweeps thr floor...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
post #117 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 06:03 PM

The .357 Max can't die as long as brass is available. It won't match the numbers of the .350 Legend since there are no factory rifles or ammo for the Max. Just stock up on brass and you'll be good.

It does appear, however, that the .357 Max can be rechambered to .350 Legend. The only difference would be the groove diameter of the .357 being a little larger than the Legend's .355 groove. If you can get a .350 Legend reamer with a .358 throat then you can use any bullet you want with the .350 Legend. Anybody else see a benefit to doing this? Maybe a custom reamer could be made.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #118 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
The .357 Max can't die as long as brass is available. It won't match the numbers of the .350 Legend since there are no factory rifles or ammo for the Max. Just stock up on brass and you'll be good.

It does appear, however, that the .357 Max can be rechambered to .350 Legend. The only difference would be the groove diameter of the .357 being a little larger than the Legend's .355 groove. If you can get a .350 Legend reamer with a .358 throat then you can use any bullet you want with the .350 Legend. Anybody else see a benefit to doing this? Maybe a custom reamer could be made.
Now that sounds like a winner too, David. Maybe someone will chime in. Now I know there was a reputable gunsmith that had a 350L handi on gunbroker that started life as a 223 24in barrel. But at the price you could buy a bolt Ruger American.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
post #119 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:26 PM

If a max is a good shooter, I would he hard pressed to recommend conversion to 350L. About the only reason that would make sense is for someone that will only use factory ammo.

If a barrel will not shoot due to a bad chamber, running a 350L reamer in it would probably clean up the throat (the usual problem area on a TC barrel). A better performing solution in a break open would be to find a reamer solution to go to a non-tapered (or very minimal taper) and deep version of the 357AR set up to use near full length Starline 223 basic brass.

It really does not cause Starline much pain to keep Max brass available. Many of us have really stocked up on brass. Also, Max brass will last a long long long time with reasonable loads. I am still using some that I bought on the same order with my brand new Dan Wesson 357 max.
post #120 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:31 PM

I'm thinking that this needs doing. May call a few reamer manufacturers tomorrow and see if they would do a .358 Legend reamer for me.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page