For the 350 Legend fans - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
This is not a 350 Legend Ray. This is just a longer version of the 357AR. 2600+fps is the load posted in the thread.

OK, I get it now
Thx

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ol BW

Quote:

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't have anywhere near the experience or intelligence to build something like this. I was confident enough with the advice I was given to proceed.
Don't sell yourself short, brother! You're just talented enough to do the work and wise enough to do your research to get it right!

BW

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 AM

Hey bud, I think you did an awesome build and kudos to the members who were generous enough to provide you the info to help you be successful and safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
**Just to clear things up, this is not a 350 Legend, just a longer version of the 357AR**

I've been following the 350 Legend thread and thought you guys might find this interesting.

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't have anywhere near the experience or intelligence to build something like this. I was confident enough with the advice I was given to proceed. If you want to try it, do so at your own risk.

Here's a longer version of Molemans 357AR. A gentleman in Michigan has a similar round and was kind enough to share his AA1680 load data with me. So not my idea and I'm not taking any credit for it, but I do think its pretty cool. I ordered this barrel in October before the 350 Legend was announced. The 350 Legend is definitely a cheaper way to go, but this is the first Savage I ever messed with and it was a lot of fun putting it together. Had pretty good success with the first load I tried and will likely just stick with that load. You guys with years of reloading experience could probably get more out of it than me. I wanted a 357 Max bolt gun and with the Starline 223 basic brass, I got a little more. I've only shot it about 100 rounds at 50 yards, but I think it shows potential.

Starline 223 basic brass trimmed to 1.79"
Speer 180g HCFN #2435
Remington 7-1/2 primer
AA1680 powder ( I stopped at 35 grains with no signs of pressure and easy extraction. Load at your own risk)
2.50" COL put the bullet about .012" off the lands in my barrel
After the first firing, I resize in 357 Max dies and trim the brass to 1.782"

The gentleman that shared the 1680 load data with me is getting 2600fps + over his chrono. I do not have a chrono, but I believe this to be accurate data. Gun is a Savage Model 11 (223 bolt face) with a 22" Mcgowen barrel. Feeds flawlessly from the Savage 223 blind mag with a minor modification to the mag block.

Very nice!!

This is what the Legend should have been.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. About anybody can screw a barrel on a Savage, the load data was the challenging part for me. I'm new to reloading and venturing into unchartered waters honestly scares the heck out of me. I was fortunate enough to get starting load data from the gentleman in Michigan and lucky the gun shot well with the first combination I tried. I'm content with that 180 grain bullet going 2600 fps.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 PM

A well built 180 @ 2600 should be capable of killing any deer alive out to a couple hundred yards or so...and looking at your group on that target leads me to believe that you shouldn't have any trouble placing the bullets where you want them...great looking set-up ...
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender1975 View Post
A well built 180 @ 2600 should be capable of killing any deer alive out to a couple hundred yards or so...and looking at your group on that target leads me to believe that you shouldn't have any trouble placing the bullets where you want them...great looking set-up ...
Thanks. I've had good luck with the 180g Speer in the 35 Remington and the 357AR. This ones a little fast for the Hornady 180g SSP's I think.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM

That configuration just makes sense. 5.56/.223 brass- .358" bullets. Pretty cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:40 AM

I made the leap...

My Ruger American should be in my hands next week.
Cw

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 PM

How long till an H&R is available in 350?

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page