Found a 22 Hornet finally (Updated with pic Post #17!) - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Default Found a 22 Hornet finally (Updated with pic Post #17!)

Just picked it up. "Like new condition" CBA prefix.

Either it was never shot or it has been thoroughly cleaned because the bore is spotless. Zero blemishes outside. Came with a BSA Huntsman? 3-9x40 with Blizzard caps and 100 rounds of ammo.

Got it for $250!

Been looking for a bolt action or Handi in 22 Hornet for some time.

Only issue is that the 100 rounds will have to be pulled. They are reloads that I have no knowledge of their pedigree except that the action will not easily close on them. Brass will need resized and fresh h110 applied under the 40 grain vmax bullets.

Pretty happy with today's find!!

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Ya done good!!! You're wise pulling the ammo.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family: .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one Superlight .243, standard .243, .30-30, 16.5 inch .30-40, .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55. 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:44 PM

Excellent. I have 2 Hornet Handi's and their a blast to shoot. I'd probably have to try those reloads though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Where are the pictures? I have three Handi Hornets now and picked up a Stevens 322A bolt action at the last gun show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020191.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	230526  

Name:	IMG_20141226_092803_180.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	230528  

Name:	P1020182.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	679.6 KB
ID:	230530  

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemi View Post
Ya done good!!! You're wise pulling the ammo.

Pete

Mama didn't raise any dummies!

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede View Post
Where are the pictures? I have three Handi Hornets now and picked up a Stevens 322A bolt action at the last gun show.

Nice Hornet nest!

My uncle has a Savage 340 in 22 Hornet that is a hoot to shoot and groups 1/2 inch at 100 yards with my reloads.

My CBA Hornet is a run of the mill black plastic Monte Carlo stocked Handi. May have it dipped if it shoots tight groups.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede View Post
curious, which one is most accurate, or which one do you like best? i know trick question lol

Mike
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
Excellent. I have 2 Hornet Handi's and their a blast to shoot. I'd probably have to try those reloads though

Randomly grabbed 4 rounds out of one of the boxes and pulled the bullets to check the quality of the reloads. Glad I didn't shoot them!!

Powder seems to be h110 and they weighed anywhere between 11.9 and 12.2 grains. My latest Hornady manual gives 11.8 as the max load they tested. Not saying that the load is over max for this particular rifle, but just glad I didn't fire any especially considering the next point.

All 4 pieces of brass (mix of RP and Win Super X) were well over max length for brass (and probably why I was having such a hard time closing the action).

When I re-sized and trimmed the brass, they all chambered right up and the action closed without any resistance.

He said that he did not reload, so whoever he got those from needs some reloading lessons!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahunter View Post
Randomly grabbed 4 rounds out of one of the boxes and pulled the bullets to check the quality of the reloads. Glad I didn't shoot them!!

Powder seems to be h110 and they weighed anywhere between 11.9 and 12.2 grains. My latest Hornady manual gives 11.8 as the max load they tested. Not saying that the load is over max for this particular rifle, but just glad I didn't fire any especially considering the next point.

All 4 pieces of brass (mix of RP and Win Super X) were well over max length for brass (and probably why I was having such a hard time closing the action).

When I re-sized and trimmed the brass, they all chambered right up and the action closed without any resistance.

He said that he did not reload, so whoever he got those from needs some reloading lessons!
I'm glad you checked my friend. Given the rest of the details, I would have done the same. I'll remember this should I ever be in this situation.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:07 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahunter View Post
Nice Hornet nest!

My uncle has a Savage 340 in 22 Hornet that is a hoot to shoot and groups 1/2 inch at 100 yards with my reloads.

My CBA Hornet is a run of the mill black plastic Monte Carlo stocked Handi. May have it dipped if it shoots tight groups.
One of my favorite stories to tell......several years ago after the USBR rimfire shoot was over they back up the targets to 100 meters and the centerfires went at it. A farm kid from Keswick, Iowa showed up that day with a Savage 340 in 22 Hornet. You can imagine the reception he got from the stuffed shirts shooting the 40xs and custom guns. At the end of the day the kid had us onlookers grinning from ear to ear. He had the top score out of 14 guys shooting that day.

I have never seen a Savage 340 in 22 Hornet or 222 that would not shoot way better than their price tag. I still have my Dad's 340 in 222 and load it down with Blue Dot and shoot squirrels with it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page