Any ideas on the cause? Solved! - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Here is what was going on. First shot was where I wanted it and following shot would be 2.5-3" high. Allow the barrel to completely cool and it would return to its cold bore zero.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to the knowledgeable folks here at GBO and a thin steel washer from Rural King, there is no longer any vertical stringing!

Many thanks for the direction and suggestions!!

Case closed!

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I will hear some grief on this, but try it with the fore stock off. Let it lay on a sandbag,(NOT on the barrel stud nut) and recoil naurally against your shoulder.

Most NEF/H&R want to be held down, but if it throws the first shot into the group all you will have to do is rebed the fore stock.

That is the reason I made a Curly Maple fore stock, lead shot weighted, and Acra glased, for my Pardner II 12 Ga full rifled. World of difference with three overlapping holes @ 50 yds using a peep sight.

Hope it solves the problem.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Grouped all the same elevation without the forend on it.

Didn't bed it, but used a steel washer to float what I could of the barrel.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahunter View Post
It was all in the forend. Shot without it Saturday with the front bag under the hinge as usual and all shot were together instead of first shot being 2" lower than the rest.

Now I have been going through old threads about forend fitting (neoprene o-rings, plastic washers, bedding the whole forend, bedding the rear of the forend and then the front end with upward pressure,...) trying to weigh my options. Will start with the neoprene o-ring first and report back when I get a chance to test it again. It is supposed to rain for a week straight here, so it may be some time before I get back to the range again.
Glad you got it figured out.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Gotta love consistency!

Pic is first two out of the 35 Rem today to set zero for the upcoming deer season.

Just have standard duplex crosshairs, so I centered up my group and brought it down a 1/2" for an even 2" high at 100 yards.

Also on the target was my first shot with the Hornet to get it tuned in for final zero at 1" high at 100 yards.

Thanks again for helping me figure out it was the forend causing my issue!

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:38 PM

Gun Cabinet

It's a shooter! I probably should have kept those bullets for myself, lol.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinny View Post
It's a shooter! I probably should have kept those bullets for myself, lol.

Thanks, Dinny

This Handi sure does eat 'em! Since the FTX has almost a twin profile of those custom swaged HPs, I hope that it groups just as well when I run out of the HPs.

I have a feeling that you may have had those custom cannelured for the 1.8" case for use in Indiana as well, because the 1.795" trimmed cases hit the center of the cannelure.

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Gun Cabinet

I'd venture to guess I have no clue why I cannelured them where I did. Sometimes I walk away from the bench just to return a few weeks later and say, "What was I thinking?" Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page