K Hornet bullet seating trouble and solution maybe - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Default K Hornet bullet seating trouble and solution maybe

I've been having trouble with cases and bullet seating. I resize the cases with a Lee collet neck sizing die. As the die came from the factory there was not enough neck tension on a loaded round and just handling the loaded rounds, bullets would push down into the case. I reduced the diameter of the mandrel in the die to increase neck tension. The problem I had then was when trying to seat a bullet many of the cases would collapse at the shoulder rather than accept the bullet.

So I got a new mandrel from Lee. Next I tried annealing cases. The result was similar to the collapsing shoulder...many of the cases will buckle and bend right at the shoulder resulting in so much run out the rounds won't chamber.

My current solution-please don't laugh- is using the factory size mandrel, un-annealed cases and applying super glue inside the case neck before bullet seating. It works well but it's difficult and time consuming. I've been thinking that if the case (and the neck especially) could be supported as if in the chamber while the bullet was seated the problems could be solved. A little research reveals something called a chamber-type seating die does just that. Also revealed is the fact that nobody makes one for the K-Hornet.

I have found that there are Wilson chamber type seating die blanks available for about 43 bucks. This would actually be cheaper for me than making one from scratch, not to mention less work.

I also need to re barrel this rifle. I think I'm going to get my barrel blank and get it all turned and fitted, get my die blank, and when all is ready rent the reamer and do the barrel and the die together.

I'm also thinking if anyone here wants a custom chamber type seating die chambered in 22 K-Hornet with the Graybeard reamer, if they want to cover the cost of the die blank and the shipping costs involved, I'd be happy to do the work because many folks here have done similar nice things for me in the past.

These dies are not intended to work in a conventional reloading press. They're used in an arbor press or I suppose you could use a mall plastic mallet. I won't be finishing the outside of the dies, no knurling or polish or anything like that. The outside will remain just as it comes from Wilson.

If anyone's interested let me know. I'm not sure how soon all this will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:50 AM

I use a carbide counter sink cutter to chamfer cases. I've never collapsed a .22 K-Hornet case. You could also switch to boat tail bullets but there aren't many in the weight range that is good for the Hornet.

Tony
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I do chamfer case mouths with an RCBS tool. Today I got some new Winchester brass, I think every case I've had trouble with was Hornady IIRC. Most of my brass on hand is Hornady. I don't really recall trouble with W-W or RP, both of which make up a smaller portion of my brass supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Default k-hornet chamber seater

I would be interested in a chamber type seater and very willing to cover your costs plus some. If you decide to do some please let me know. I have looked for one for a 22 k hornet and come up empty also.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:22 PM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

With my RCBS neck only die, I neck size with out the expander then use a Lyman M die to expand cases that I have annealed, Cases that have not been annealed I use the RCBS neck die with the expander and then the M die. hope this helps
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:59 PM

I haven't had to for the Hornet but for other cases sometimes I just touch them lightly with a Lee universal expander die. Give it just enough flair so that there's nothing for the bullet to catch on but afterwards I have to give the round a light crimp to remove the flair...

Tony
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 PM
dcw

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbiker View Post
I haven't had to for the Hornet but for other cases sometimes I just touch them lightly with a Lee universal expander die. Give it just enough flair so that there's nothing for the bullet to catch on but afterwards I have to give the round a light crimp to remove the flair...

Tony
this^^^

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Geezer nailed it IMO, is exactly what I do.

Takes more flare for cast than it does jacketed.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichi View Post
I would be interested in a chamber type seater and very willing to cover your costs plus some. If you decide to do some please let me know. I have looked for one for a 22 k hornet and come up empty also.
OK will do. Lots of irons in the fire right now.

Thanks to those who commented on the Lee expander. I'll look into that.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM

The Lyman M Die is worth its weight to solve these issues a d a REQUIREMENT for cast. As too tight a next and a soft bullet can actually be resized BY the action of seating the bullet. Resulting in inaccuracy and leading.

The K Hornet case is far more durable. I havent had this issue but my first thought was too soft brass and annealing would only serve to exacerbate that issue.

I really think your on to the problem and feel the issue is the die itself. I use a Redding set in my K and have had zero issues. I have the die set to partially size. Cannot call it true neck sizing but its close. My K is a re chambered Handi.

Being the K has a few variances depending on whos reamer you use different cases really need to be fire formed from your rifle.

But If you would like, I can send you some of my own K cases and see what that gets you.

CW

EDIT; Super gluing bullets in to establish neck tension, I do not feel is your best idea...

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page