A stub experiment - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
WLB

Default A stub experiment

I recently acquired a couple of very nice .357 barrels that measure .800 OD. I thought this would make a nice, light 357 Mag rifle without a lot of time consuming lathe work (one .030 pass on an 18 inch blank takes 25 minutes).

The stubs I made require a barrel at least .875 OD to thread so a threaded connection was out. The ID of the non threaded part of the stub is .815. .015 clearance is not ideal but I thought I'd try a glued in barrel. There is very little force trying to push the barrel out of the stub so I bead blasted the barrel and stub and glued the two together with JB Weld. After drying for two days, I fit the stub to an SB2 receiver and chambered it.

Yesterday I got a chance to test it. My son and I put 50 rounds through it with no signs of the joint loosening. A tree had fallen on our 100 yard target board and destroyed it so we could only test at 50. Accuracy was better than I expected with 5 shot groups ranging from 5/8th inch to 1 3/4. 5 of the groups were between 3/4 and 1 1/8.

You might notice from the picture, I only used one scope ring to hold the scope. Two wouldn't fit with that scope and scope mount without slotting the mount. Another reason I was surprised at the accuracy.

I'm not sure how a glued in barrel would work with a bottle neck cartridge or with anything hot enough to require an SB2 receiver but it seemed to hold just fine for 357 Mag at least. Time and more rounds will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-900F.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	232024  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:09 PM

it looks like your scope is ahead of the hammer? what eye relief/what scope are ya using? i had a heck of a time finding a true 6" eye relief, and would like to find one with more than 2.5x

Mike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
WLB

treeslayer, the end of the scope is even with the end of the hammer spur. Eye relief looks to be about 3 inches. It is a no name 4X that I had laying around, likely bought years ago in a 3 for $25 deal. Even more reason for me to be surprised at the groups we got. Thats all I could find to put together for testing. Been making too many barrels and running out of scopes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 PM

So your not using a donor barrel for your stub but fabricating it? Is that right WLB?
From the picture it looks like you do very good work!

Kirk

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV, 25-06 UH, 30-30, 7-08, 223, 308 Survivor
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
WLB

Thanks Kirk. That is correct, I made the stubs. They were made in two pieces and TIG welded together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-898F (2).JPG
Views:	15
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	232026  

Name:	MVC-897F (3).JPG
Views:	15
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	232028  

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 PM

Very nice WLB!!!!!!!!!! I always enjoy when you post your projects. Thanks for sharing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
WLB

Thanks Bryan.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Very very nice work!

What would something like that cost?

I'd be interested in one like that in .32 H&R Mag/.32sw long.

As to your one ring solution, well if it works it ain't broke. At least not yet.
But I think I'd find some more rails with more slots. Gives you more options.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
WLB

Thanks Ghosth. I made a 32 Mag using a blank meant for 7.62 by 39 but the twist rate is a little fast for lighter bullets and lead and it took all day to get the 1.25 OD blanks down to size.

The one ring solution was to put something on the barrel "right this minute" that I could aim with. I could have milled an additional slot but didn't want to bother. Since it worked so well and likely won't get any rough use I'll just leave it as is until there is a problem. The test was to see if a barrel with that small amount of glue area would hold, the accuracy was a pleasant surprise.

Cost to make one would vary with the price and diameter of the barrel blank.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

Very neat! You might put the barrel in the freezer for a couple of days and see if the joint holds. If it does you're golden. You'll never get it hot enough for JBW to fail unless you lay it in a fire!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page