Handi barrels done 3 ways - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Default Handi barrels done 3 ways

I have been working on 3 separate Handi Rifle barrels off and on for the last several years. Each uses a totally different approach. Maybe posting about them will shame me into finishing them!

First up, 25-20 Winchester. This is being built on a 20ga stub using a take off Winchester lever action barrel. Pretty straightforward stub job. The barrel will be turned down in the lathe to fit into the reamed out stub. If all works right, I will set the depth so that no chamber reaming is necessary. The barrel will be glued into the stub.

[IMG][/IMG]

"And the government promised me a posse, which I figure will be long on promise and short on posse." - Rooster Cogburn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Next up, I want one of the royalty of medium bore Handi's, a 356 Winchester. I have extra 357 barrels, so one of them is getting reamed to 358 Winchester, and I will turn a rim recess into the chamber on the lathe. The difficulty I ran into is that the reamer I bought does not have an interchangeable pilot and the pilot does not reach the barrel lands. I am going to have to machine a bit of the chamber out prior to starting the reaming process. I have made a fixture for the lathe to square up the barrel in the lathe, and have done quite a bit of work on getting the tail stock lined up with the head stock so that the chamber will wind up straight.

[IMG][/IMG]

"And the government promised me a posse, which I figure will be long on promise and short on posse." - Rooster Cogburn
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Last up, and most ambitious, a 45 Colt, .410, 450 Mongo. This is being built on a fully home made 1020 steel stub. The stub is built and ready for the barrel. I just machined a forearm lug, and need to make a fixture to align and hold the lug for soldering. I just found out that the barrel has a bit of a bend in it, so I need to deal with that prior to mounting it in the stub. There is not a ton of work needed to finish these, so hopefully I will be able to post progress reports before too long!

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Following!! I love posts like these...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I got the Mongo barrel straightened and mounted to the stub. I found a way of locking the forearm lug to the barrel for soldering, and it seems well attached. Next up, machining a slot in the barrel for the extractor.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 PM

Sound like fun I am following

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:04 AM

Very interesting!

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV, 25-06 UH, 30-30, 7-08, 223, 308 Survivor
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 AM
WLB

Nice work.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Reading every line with avid interest and anticipation.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

My scheme to get this project going again is apparently working. This morning I machined the extractor slot and fit the extractor to the barrel. Next up for this barrel will be a proof load, but I need to find a few pieces of 444 Marlin brass. My plan is to proof test with a 444 Marlin level load, and if all is fine, limit the Mongo to fairly hot 45 Colt level loads.

I still need to find some sights and mount them, I'm open to suggestions. I would prefer to stay with open sights on this. I wouldn't mind going with standard H&R sights, but they are kind of pricey by the time you buy all the parts. Maybe some muzzleloader sights? I will also need to blue or parkerize it. I haven't decided on that.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Next up I think will be starting the lathe work on the 356 Win barrel......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in