Rifles for this upcoming deer season - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zeak

My rifle will be a Remington 7600 or aTika 270wsm for rifle season and a HR musy for muzzle. Our deer population has exploded the last 2 years. I think I could kill deer out the front door of the farm house if I want. When we sit out in the evening,they are within 100' of the house,and not even scared,they fun to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:14 PM

Gun Cabinet

I may stick a 7mm08 Barrel on my TCR 87 or a 25-06 and then I may just grab my contender G2 with the custom stock set and 7x30 waters barrel and go for it or might get the 93 mouser in 7x57 who knows to many to choose from most never get to hunt, one year I hunted with a different one every day for the whole rifle and special Doe season

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:40 PM

HELLO GUYS!!

I also am gonna be keeping with the 35 caliber affections!

I have a new to me Savage 24 357 Max/20ga.

A brand new Ruger American in 350 Legend.

I also finally have a Winchester M70 chambered in 358 Norma Magnum!!

Ill be taking the NM & probably the Legend North to VT with me. I need to work up loads for both.

I have a good vermin load all set!

I pull factory FMJ ammo. Toss the bullet in the trash! I dump and save the powder. Then trim the case to 1.705”. Charge the case with 21.5g of factory powder. Then I take Hornady FTX 140g bullets lube and run them thru a Lee push thru .356 die. Then load them long and taper crimp. Velocity is 2350 fps and accuracy is SUB MOA!!! BUT, this bullet is soft. It might be OK on deer from a 6-8” Revolver and 1350 fps. At 2300... will likely be a grenade.

Id really, like to use a cast bullet here. This caliber was well I was SUPER EXCITED. Then learned of the debacle Winchester created and SWORE OFF/AWAY FROM IT. But then I began looking at it from a cast bullet stand point and all of a sudden most of my issues where removed. I have a couple good cast bullet options, just need to get moving with my testing.

I sized down some Hornady 158 XTP-FP TO 356 too and they did shoot pretty well. Id have zero issues loading these to 2k.
I might use the same 230 from the Maxi. OR maybe the 180 RD bullet.

In the Big NM, I haven't given it much thought yet but probably just use a accuracy load with a Norma or Speer 250g bullet. I hunt allot of clear cuts and bears are much more common. This caliber has more HP than is needed for anything but the largest animals we have on the continent.

The Savage 24 has been getting shot regularly and IM LOVIN IT!! Its close to good with my new cast NOE 360-232 mold. Im really really liking this bullet. It has allot “out front” so even tho its 230g it dosent really take up more space in the case then a 180 XTP seated to the top cannelure.

From the longer 24” barrel velocity is also up a bit. Im still working up loads. But I have broken into 1800 FPE and just under 1” groups @ 50 yards. I have four more loads ready for this weekend.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:49 AM

My Handi 35 Remington and .50 Sidekick got to dance last year, so they will be sitting out this season.

I will be packing an AR in 6.5 Grendel and will carry the newly smokeless-converted CVA Scout V2 .45 for my muzzleloader option. If I get around to hunting the late doe season then I will call up my .358 WSSM Savage from the dugout as that hunting will probably be on public land.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post

The Savage 24 has been getting shot regularly and IM LOVIN IT!! Its close to good with my new cast NOE 360-232 mold. Im really really liking this bullet. It has allot “out front” so even tho its 230g it dosent really take up more space in the case then a 180 XTP seated to the top cannelure.

From the longer 24” barrel velocity is also up a bit. Im still working up loads. But I have broken into 1800 FPE and just under 1” groups @ 50 yards. I have four more loads ready for this weekend.

CW

I have some 230 WFN GC that I got in a trade with Brian F (before the site change, he changed his name to something else after the switch) that shoot pretty darn good in the .35 Remington. I was kinda surprised at the damage done to a large doe by those things. I like the looks of the poly-coated even better! Almost looks like polished granite to me.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:28 PM

I call that color GRANITE!!

Its a real attractive bullet. I picked up the mold short time back.

Just tonight I sized some down to 356 & loaded dummies in the 350 legend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	269C7812-6F34-48D6-AE3E-B58274016FF0_1566516485898.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	233434  

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 PM

At Law said: Just another reason I'm glad to live in the South!

Yep, me too. Can't remember the last time I went hunting on our property in northern Georgia and didn't see deer. Our whitetails are smallish, but, in addition to 12 a year (two antlered, one with a at least four points on one side; 10 antlerless) we can apply for any number of quota hunts. Had to imagine having to draw or pay for deer tags. Plus, once you hit 65, a lifetime residence license is free.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -- Benjamin Franklin
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:23 PM

Getting a 257 Weatherby dialed in. The Marlin 1895 might get to rest after bear season this year.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Gun Cabinet

.45 "Hodgepodge Rifle" flintlock!

~WH~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	233460  

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:24 PM

Guess that I will join the fray...LOL I plan on My 45/70 H&R with Williams Peep sight installed.
Have a pretty good 350 gr. cast load worked up for it at about 1500 fps. Not blazing fast, but very accurate. For a back up, I just fitted a 44 mag barrel to my extra frame. Gotta work up a load for it real soon. Just plan on using Handi's this year. But the Rem 700 30/06 could be called upon iffin I need it.

Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page