760 Remington 243
H&R Model 158 30-30

Ohio:
AR15 450 Bushmaster
Savage Model 11 35-35
Not the cool new 350 bolt build?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewmagoo View Post
Not the cool new 350 bolt build?

That's the Savage Model 11 35-35. Figured it needed a name. 35 caliber bullet over 35 grains of powder, 35-35.
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
That's the Savage Model 11 35-35. Figured it needed a name. 35 caliber bullet over 35 grains of powder, 35-35.
Ok Brian you got me. I was curious how you were going to label it to OH dnr.

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewmagoo View Post
Ok Brian you got me. I was curious how you were going to label it to OH dnr.

Barrel maker marked the barrel .357AR 1.8. Its a straight wall case with a .358 diameter bullet. That's pretty much all the ODNR needs to know.
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:05 PM

My 257 Roberts pushing 120 gr. Speer Grand Slams to an easy 2650 fps out of an old Tanger M77 Ruger is first up, next up is a M7 Remington in 7-08. Those for deer. For feral hogs I have sighted in a Marlin 444 with the Leverrevolution 265 gr. Rubber tips and it is a tackdriver. going to have to mount a light on the scope because it bucks too much to shoot rested on my left thumb as I hold a spotlight. These are tentative decisions subject to change.

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahunter View Post
My Handi 35 Remington and .50 Sidekick got to dance last year, so they will be sitting out this season.

I will be packing an AR in 6.5 Grendel and will carry the newly smokeless-converted CVA Scout V2 .45 for my muzzleloader option. If I get around to hunting the late doe season then I will call up my .358 WSSM Savage from the dugout as that hunting will probably be on public land.
Slight change of plans...turns out I don't really care for the AR as a deer hunting rifle. Shoots really good, just not my cup of tea. Prefer single shots or bolt guns. Got the upper for sale and am ordering a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel. Will be using it for deer season if I can get it in plenty of time and my current handloads shoot good out of it.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:52 PM

Hope its as good for you it has been for me.

I had my howa out today after refitting the boyds stock. I like the Rugers allot but there lack of a locking bolt pushed me to the Howa.

I shot three differnet loads today using 123SST & 120G Sierras. Everything shot right at to just under MOA. The third bullet is my load from last year. A Speer Gold Dot 120. THAT load shot under 1/2 MOA again today.

Real happy with this lil Grendel

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:53 AM

If I go it will depend on where I go. The entire state is overrun with deer. If I go to my friends ranch it will probably be the 45-70 Siamese Mauser, 300gr Barnes Originals at 2400fps. I haven't worked up loads for the Buffalo Classic as the throat is too short for the bullets I want to use. If walking is required I will be using the Ted Williams model 100 30-30 with the Williams peep sight. I think I will take the Blackhawk 44 Spl with the Keith loads for any wayward hogs. The 450 Bushmaster AR just doesn't seem fair. Do you think the 30-30 will still kill a deer? I hate tracking. Got some of the loads with the 170gr partitions.
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:02 AM

A couple years ago, I decided that with approaching age, I would cut down my gun collection, so I passed 3 rifles each to my 3 grandsons.. I did save my CVA .44 mag though..along with several rimfires.

Deer population here in NY State is way up and I have my old timer's license..got 2 trnsferable antlerless permits, and black bears are increased to the point where they are visiting the surrounding villages and hamlets.

Deer in NY are on the large side, compared to some states.. I don't need the meat, but I know some folks who could use some.

Then, this year, I started to get the itch back, and with 4WD I can get closer to my hunting spots. One day, I happened by the gun dept at a Walmart..thinking Marlin 336 lever...but right beside it was a stubby Ruger.

Hmmm..450 bushmaster.. OK, it reached out and caught me !

I was a bit concerned with recoil on my old shoulder, but at sighting in, it wasn't too bad..maybe between a 20ga & 12ga single with slugs.

But that muzzle brake.. I'll definitely need ear protection.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:29 AM

The plan at the moment: Ruger 77/44 or TCR 87/12 ga slug barrel at home. Tikka T3 30-06 or Ruger No. 1 7 x 57 up north.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page