11.5x74R Range Report - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Some of you may remember a string on the 11.5x74R wildcat cartridge for use in the H&R .410/.45LC Survivor. Anyone familiar with that rifle knows that they are not accurate with any .45 Colt ammo, especially with lead bullets. I will admit that I got substantially better results with all copper bullets.

I read about a creative solution for the accuracy problem, caused by the extra long chamber, and decided to try it myself. I am forever greatful for all the help and expert advice I got on this forum, especially from Lt. Dave, Quickdtoo, and Dinny. Without them I could not have done the project.

Important note: I purchased and installed the barrel on an SB2 frame. Don’t try it on the original Survivor SB1 low pressure frame (receiver). It could fail catastrophically

I expanded Norma brand 9.3x74R cases and loaded them with 17 grains of Trail Boss powder and seated a 250 Gr. LRNFP bullet to fire form the cases. They fire formed beautifully and the next range trips went well, but I was using a red dot and wanted to put on a scope.

I had a long, difficult time getting it to work, but it was not the rifle, cartridge, or the reloading process that caused most of my grief. It was the scope mount installed by an apprentice gunsmith that had holes drilled out of line, stripped threads, and improperly spaced holes. I ended up going to another gunsmith to get it corrected. I suspect that contributed to the .45 Colt accuracy problems.

After moving from San Diego to western Washington, I finally got it to the range today. I used the same 250 grain LRNFP bullets over 17 grains of Trail Boss. They chronograph at 1400 FPS. I shot two sighting groups at 25 yards, moving the point of impact after the first group. Both groups were very good. I then put up a new target at 50 yards and fired two more 3 shot groups to get it sighted in at 3” above center. One group was about 3/4” center to center and the other was 7/8”. I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!

Last edited by DawnGazer; 09-18-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Grammar, sentence structure, and spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:48 PM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Would you post pics of your finished cartridge with a 410 shell beside it

Thank you
Sunny
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

OOOPS! I misspoke. The 3/4” and 7/8” groups were at 25 yards. The 50 yard groups were both 1.5”. The ammo/rifle combination is consistent, fairly accurate, and very satisfactory in my estimation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

I would love to post pictures, but I have never been able to figure out how. I am a bit challenged with that stuff. I could email some pictures to someone that can post them in the string, if there was such a volunteer.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:38 PM

Cool. Never heard of the 11.5x74R before. I'm experimenting with 444 brass now. My Magtech brass .410 shells also use 17 gr of trailboss but I found 300 gr XTPs to be the most accurate. Going to try some other powders and all copper bullets next in the blown out 444 cases. I am happy with the brass .410 cases though. Here's a picture of my trial loads:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45-410 Trial Loads.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	940.4 KB
ID:	234220  

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Lt. Dave, we posted back and forth about this cartridge and about the copper bullets.

Truthfully, the .444 Marlin is likely just fine. I want to shoot the .300 grain bullets too, but I have another 700 of the 250 grain bullets left. Oh, well it is my own doing.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:25 AM

I'm going to try CFE-BLK powder next. Hodgdon has data for the 460 SW for this powder that shows a good amount of case fill with moderate pressure.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnGazer View Post
I would love to post pictures, but I have never been able to figure out how. I am a bit challenged with that stuff. I could email some pictures to someone that can post them in the string, if there was such a volunteer.
PM sent.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I sent two pictures to Tim. One shows the 11.5x74R (.452x74R) vs. .410 and .45 Colt. The other is the 50 yard target. The target picture shows that I should always measure rather than guesstimating. I was off by 1/4 on my claimed group size. I am duely red faced.

My next range trip, probably next week, will be to compare the accuracy of the wildcat 11.5x74R to the .45 Colt with the all my hand load with the copper Lehigh Defense bullet. Then I will see if it was worth all the expense and trouble.

Note: I do not claim title to inventing this wildcat. I am not that creative, but I can recognize a good thing when I set it. Kudos to the original inventor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3585.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	234246  

Name:	IMG_3581.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	234248  

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I didn't get the pics yet, checked junk too.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in