My favorite Handi Rifle - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Default My favorite Handi Rifle

It’s the 30-30 Winchester. If the proverbial question was asked " you could only have one" my choice would be the 30-30. I load it from plinking with light ‘gallery’ loads using pistol powder and cast bullets to 180 grain Big game loads. My favorite bullets by far though are the Hornady spire points . 110, 150, and 180 grains. Favorite powder is RL7 for the lighter bullets and IMR3031 for the heavier bullets

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Gun Cabinet

I know it's trite, but my favorite is the one I'm thinking about at any particular time!

I've got a bunch of 'em and even though some may have a problem, I love them all equally. From the 17 Hornet to the 50-140 Sharps, they're my babies!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Well there is a really tight pack at the front, who's in the lead tends to swap back and forth between my .357mag and the .444marlin.

The rest of the pack is really tight behind them, with 2 exceptions.

7.62x39 which I think just needs shooting, breaking in. .300BO which does ok with cast but just won't seem to quite stack them up like the others do.

.45 colt, pair of .44mags, 9mm, .30-30 all seem to regularly put 5 into a 1.5 inch circle at 100, or smaller. Better shooter could probably get better out of them. I know part of the reason the .357mag and .444 run first is they are both sporting 4x12 variable power scopes. Most of the pack are setup with Red Dots. So if I leveled the playing field who knows who'd win.

Little .223rem is designated small game and varmint killer with a couple of nice quiet Red Dot loads and cast boolits.
Just as accurate as any .22lr ever thought of being with more punch and just about as quiet. Yes it could shoot factory loads and run with the pack. But it makes such a good .22lr replacement that it seems to have "hung up" in that niche.

I've yet to have a bad one.

And I have a special place in my heart for the dueling .44mags. Like a pair of twin brothers always trying to outdo the other.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 AM

I only own a couple Handi-rifles, both on SB2 frames. My first (also a .30-30) is also my favorite. I bought it nearly 25 years ago when my son was a toddler and mounted a cheap Bushnell Sportview scope which has performed like a champ. My son (and other kids) would eventually use the rifle on their first deer hunts (after I ordered a youth buttstock). In the meantime, I sometimes used the rifle in a blind, where it's "handiness" really shined. I took a nice six point whitetail with handloads using the old Nosler 150 Ballistic Tips and I shot other deer with factory 170 Corelocts. Worked great. But learned this gun typically puts three shots into about an inch (benched @ 100 yards) using cheap, Remington 150 gr. Corelocts which is basically what I have fed the rifle over time. My son and at least one other kid have used this as their first deer hunting tool. The rifle has proven a completely dependable venison-getter. If I were forced to get rid of all other center-fire rifles for deer hunting, I could happily hunt this Handi and not feel deprived.

PC
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:57 AM
WLB

I hope I never have to deal with "if you could only have just one." It makes my brain hurt to think too much about that but I would really hate to lose my 308 bull barrel. It has produced many sub MOA groups with 168 gr Sierra Match bullets. It started out as a Survivor but I changed the stock to a late model plastic MonteCarlo.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:59 PM

Gun Cabinet

I would say my 303 Britt is my favorite. But at the same time if I think about maybe thinning the heard I can't decide which one or ones to part with.

303 Britt is my favorite Handi!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikehorn View Post
I would say my 303 Britt is my favorite. But at the same time if I think about maybe thinning the heard I can't decide which one or ones to part with.

Now that's a cool conversion!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Well for a long time it was a dead heat between my .357mag using .360dw brass, and the .444marlin handi rifles.

Then the .45 colt came along and it was a 3 way tie. Then I had a .30-30 20 ga combo walk in my door, and then a pair of .44mag handi's.

Choose between them? HOW?

They all do the job. Put the bullet where I tell it to go at 100 yards.
That is not to say I don't have favorites. Last year when I went traveling south for most of the winter the .30-30 combo was the one that came with. Along with a long rifled adapter for the 20 ga which would let me also shoot .45acp. That is a tough package to top.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM

I've weeded down to the three best factory calibers.... 45/70, 30/30, and 357.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Well... My pat answer is the Maxi and surely its a favorite. But I have a MachII ill always own as well as a very soft spot for my Trotter 32/20...

Nope I cannot choose just one.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page