Graybeard Outdoors banner

Handi 300 BLK Action opened at the shot.

4K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  Jdcujo 
#1 ·
Hello all: I have had this Handi rifle for a number of years now. My 9 year old son & I may be doing a mentored deer hunt this season. The Handi in 300 BLK looked to be a good option with the youth stock due to fit and weight. Well I was attempting to work down a good plinking load for him to get comfortable with.

While working down this load I Had the action open at the shot. Bullet stayed in the barrel due to the brass being ejected at the shot. caught the brass low in the eye brow and messed up my eye in a substantial fashion. Ended up with a few stitches an eye that was so swollen that I could not open at all for 3 days and a trauma induced Cataract. just thankful to still have sight in this eye.

Needless to say I have no desire to allow my son to shoot this rifle going forward. Glad I was the one experience this unfortunate event as opposed to my son.

Still I hope to attain a better understanding of the Handi rifle, as well as how this rifle should handle a over pressure load. I am questioning if I had a secondary explosion perhaps causing my unfortunate experience. Wish to evaluate this rifle for faults or failure and I suppose I am seeking a bit of guidance here as well. Certainly do not want to pass this rifle on to someone else to experience a similar issue in the future.

Thank you for your input.

See less See more
#28 ·
We have not really worked with this Handi rifle very much. All loads were hand loads. Was also working with a CZ 527 also in 300 blackout. Was striving for subsonic loads for a quiet loads just for practice. My intent was to have him shoot only the subsonic loads until we are actually deer hunting. Of course Ill sight in the rifle for the supersonic loads. The Supersonic load I have settled on are Nosler BT over win 296 at roughly 2200 FPS.

For the subsonic load I was trying 125 gr SST one a book load compressed trail boss. Inconsistent velocity with a stuck bullet in the barrel had me kicking the trail boss load. While the HEAVILY DISCOURAGED N120 loads had been shooting well with acceptable accuracy recoil like a 22 hornet yet quieter. Suspect if we had went with Unique or Red dot loads I would have been happy.

The CZ 527 with the adjustable Boyds At One stock is working OK. Truth be told still a little long and heavier than I would prefer. I Have a number of extra cz 527 stocks that could be modified for length of pull, though the comb height will likely prove more difficult to get correct.

The Handi youth stock was clearly a better fit. Though I am unclear that I will find a path to trusting this or any other Handi going forward. I have been out shooting the CZ 527 again and that was a bit of a hurdle to get past in terms of not being gun-shy with any gun. The loads I was shooting in the CZ 527 were supersonic 125 gr NBT's over ww 296 & 100 gr SJ over trail boss.

The NBT is shooting well in terms of accuracy. The NBT are mild enough for recoil in my eyes though for him they may be a bit more than we would care for for target work.

#29 ·
LIGHT bullet subs are quite problematic. You dont hear people doing that. Probably good reason...

Trail Boss SHOULD NOT be compressed. But I find beat loads are 96%~100% density. Its also not a good choice for what your attempting. TB is a bulky powder thats NOT low pressure. Its simply designed for low velocity in mine specifically in voluminous cases.

IMHO cast is a much better choice for ya with subs. First of all, jacketed is NOT AT ALL FRIENDLY to under 1000fps. Second (and your gonna see this first hand) Jacketed bullets can be a mother fudger to get unstuck. While lead, is no big deal.

Do you cast? If ya like Ill happily donate some for ya to try!

Sierra 130 or 135g Varmint HP are a fragile bullet. Ill bet reliably expansion can be had down around 1500. While most rifle bullets cease to expand below 1800. Guys over on the Black out Forum dislike this bullet and have had many blowups using it. But thats at top velocities. Might be a useful bullet for you. Its a good shooter for me. Also Sierra 125 HP is fragile at 2200 MVel. So might able be useful slower... I have ahot a few deer with the 125 HP

CW

#31 ·
Not to belabor my offer. But my cast are all powder coated. So in effect jacketed and will NOT FOUL or lead ever. They have been pushed to 2000fps with zero fouling and a excellent option thats just becoming realized with shooters. Federal released its Synetc line earlier this year. CCI has had there PC 22’s out for a while now as well.

Properly applied IT DOES NOT COME OFF!

Finger Nail Hand Metal
Purple Magenta

#32 ·
H&R performed a number of tests at the factory in an attempt to replicate this type of happening, they fired a large number of single shot shotguns and rifles in a fixture that supported the butt stock in the rear and under the frame in front. The barrels were free to open with the firearm in the fixture.

The barrel catches were removed from the frame and a piece of Scotch tape was used, if needed, to hold the barrel in place for remote firing using a string. A number of these test firings were filmed fairly close to the firearm to get a better idea of what happens when fired. All models at that time had ejectors in the barrels. Not one of the tests that were performed blew the cartridge out of the barrel when fired. All testing was done using factory new ammo.

The fired cases looked normal with no distortions or set back primers. This reinforced the original contention that the barrel could not open with it under the cartridge back pressure. One test involved a 270 Win which was shoulder fired while standing, the 270 rifle with no barrel catch and filming in the process. The rifle never opened when fired until the shooter allowed it to open, he fired several shots.

Tim

#33 ·
I was thinking about this yesterday as I was testing some 32 H&R heavy bullet subsonic loads. If the pressure was not great enough to push the bullet out of the barrel, how was it great enough to unlatch the barrel and blow the case out?
I've had bullets stuck in the barrel before and what tipped me off was the lack of typical recoil and low sound. I've also had the barrel unlatched in my H&R 308 heavy barrel by some really hot C.A.V.I.M. surplus ammo. The case stayed in the barrel and the action opened by about a quarter inch. That same ammo locked a Remington 700 up so tight that I thought I would break the handle off getting it open with a piece of wood and a hammer.

#34 ·
Most of my research would indicate this just could not have happened. Especially in light of the testing Tim shares above it would seem this is very unlikely at best. Only thing in my case it did.

Have not dug into this much yet only thing that stands out is I had a bit of a history of having the breach closing difficult on some loads. I have played with this locking up with no shell in the chamber since and no difficulty is recognized. Will be experimenting with som dummy loads in the not to distant future.

Tim You and others here are a wealth of knowledge.

Off to see a oral surgeon this morning for a consult on my recovery due to the fractured bone structure. Expect all to be fine still worth getting a little better insight here as well.

#35 ·
My best guess is there was either a minor secondary detonation caused by the reduced load if not all the powder ignited when the primer set it off, or there was a hangfire due to the reduced load, but this scenario only works if the barrel wasn't completely locked, which it may have been from prior statement, and the gun was rested on the frame instead of the forend so the barrel could fall open on it's own.

Praying for your complete recovery after all of this. :tango_face_wink:

Tim

#36 ·
I have been getting a number of PM's with folks showing interest in the 300 BLK. At this time I have no interest in moving this rifle out of the stables. Thank you for the interest though Just not ready to move this one down the road & May or may not reach that point some time soon.

DR visit went fine. When asked about the numbness or nerve damage I experienced he said yes I had 3 nerves that are in that very small area take a direct impact. It may be as long as four months before I experience recovery with those nerves. There is always the possibility I may never experience a full recovery with those nerves.

With the big picture I am very happy to have my sight back in that eye even if it is compromised with the Cataract. Good to know the Cataract may be corrected with surgery. Looking forward to having that surgery behind me in a few weeks or so.

#48 · (Edited)
I have been getting a number of PM's with folks showing interest in the 300 BLK. At this time I have no interest in moving this rifle out of the stables.
I'm not surprised. Sharks were stirring as soon as the first drop of blood hit the water. Literally!

Hold onto that bugger. It will be difficult to replace and there are only a few other single shot 300 BLKs made. I like the fact they don't need gas pressure to cycle the action. I shoot cast in mine for the added insurance.

I'm relieved knowing you're well enough to shoot a bow where keen eye sight is critical.

Thanks, Dinny

Attachments

#37 ·
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!

Yea nerves heal real slow and often not the way they where... I can tell stories like some here. Pain associated with and to that healing is also bothersome at times. Phantom pains, twinges... hope these things are not in your future.

Take your time on the barrel. Its not going anywhere. Of coarse Id not (Dont think you will) shoot it till ya figure out whats happened. Its likly not the barrel itself more its lockup with that receiver. Unfortunately we cannot be much better than speculation as we cannot see what you see.

If your able, when your ready, short outside britely lit videos on what you see might shed better light.

#40 ·
Any chance this was an SEE event? Slower powders can at times be touchy about light loads.

But I have yet to find a rile or pistol cartridge that won't give good accuracy with 3 -5 grains of Red Dot.
Very thrifty on the wallet, easy on the ears and shoulders.

I don't know if you ever will know all the answers.

#41 ·
While you are motivated to solve this problem you might take a black marker and color the locking shelf on the barrel. Then assemble the rifle and snap it shut multiple times until the latch has worn off a pattern on the shelf. It should show at least 1/16th inch of engagement. Since the factory had the advantage of looking through the witness hole during assembly its hard to believe that it wouldn't have that much engagement but things do happen. As others have pointed out, the release lever should have some play when it is properly latched but in fitting some stubs I have had some play in the lever but not enough latch engagement. Another test I do when fitting a barrel is to put the receiver on my leg while sitting and with the barrel in one hand and the buttstock in the other sharply push down on both to see if the latch will hold. As I get close to a good fit I've had some that seem latched but will pop open if sharply stressed.

If you do that test, let us know what the pattern looks like or better yet take a picture.

#43 ·
Around 2005 I bought a new .223 H&R Varminter. It was a little nebulous about opening and closing. Never opened upon firing though.

It was either at GBO or Marlin Talk that some guys said the first thing to do with a new Handi is to take it down and renove the cheek stock; and flush the crap out of the receiver from all directions.

I did this and with solvents and compressed air. In the course of a half hour I must have flushed out 2 teaspoons+ of shavings, grindings, grit and sludge from the factory!

Opening and closing became more certain and smooth.
...TM7

#50 ·
Congrats on the nice buck and all the great memories you made on that hunt. i deer hunt only because I get to go with my two sons, otherwise I'd be content to shoot paper and coyotes. Take care, John.

#52 ·
It all depends on the day of the week, who's the shark...
IMO the guy was frustrated with the rifle and honestly said he thought he'd part with it due to the problem. I do and did suggest he keep it but if he was dead set on parting with it, please let me know. I don't hide behind PMs to approach purchases I just put it out there. Anyways not the only one made, production numbers were high for the time frame, but the G2 Traditions makes a fine example of a 300BLK and the new price is cheaper than most handis in same caliber. Heck Dinny you must agree you have a traditions as a 357maxi as your primary instead of a rebuilt handi.
You guys blame the new technology as the blame of lack of users I blame it on the 24hr campfire mentality that has taken this from the family forum to a krass area.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#53 ·
Glad to hear it wasn't worse and hope it has healed up good by now.
Think I saw on one of these threads someone had a similar issue ( rifle opening up during the shot or prior) with a 500 . Someone suggested make sure the latch is dry, no oil.
Really sucks h&r closed ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.