Handi 300 BLK Action opened at the shot. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Handi 300 BLK Action opened at the shot.

Hello all: I have had this Handi rifle for a number of years now. My 9 year old son & I may be doing a mentored deer hunt this season. The Handi in 300 BLK looked to be a good option with the youth stock due to fit and weight. Well I was attempting to work down a good plinking load for him to get comfortable with.

While working down this load I Had the action open at the shot. Bullet stayed in the barrel due to the brass being ejected at the shot. caught the brass low in the eye brow and messed up my eye in a substantial fashion. Ended up with a few stitches an eye that was so swollen that I could not open at all for 3 days and a trauma induced Cataract. just thankful to still have sight in this eye.

Needless to say I have no desire to allow my son to shoot this rifle going forward. Glad I was the one experience this unfortunate event as opposed to my son.

Still I hope to attain a better understanding of the Handi rifle, as well as how this rifle should handle a over pressure load. I am questioning if I had a secondary explosion perhaps causing my unfortunate experience. Wish to evaluate this rifle for faults or failure and I suppose I am seeking a bit of guidance here as well. Certainly do not want to pass this rifle on to someone else to experience a similar issue in the future.

Thank you for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:01 PM

Some powders aren't made to be loaded light. I'd say the bullet not exiting caused a pressure spike forced to the rear. As you found out the painful way it can be as bad as over loaded loads.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:04 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. More experts will be along to help you with this situation. If you elect to still part with it, I would be more than happy to take a chance on the rifle. You are welcome to PM me to negotiate a deal on it.
Thanks
Stew

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 PM

See if you might have two bullets stuck in the bore. Was this your first shot or second or third?

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:02 AM

Gun Cabinet

We need more info about the load. If the rifle never opened upon firing before this was a one-off based on something other than barrel to latch fitment. I suspect you were working with subsonics where the first rule is to start high and work your way down. That's the reverse of what we've been taught with supersonic loading and where some may experience problems. You say twice that you were working a load down so maybe you started too low.

DON'T PART WITH IT! You need to find out what has happened and determine if it's still safe to shoot. I recommend sending it to an authorized service center or test firing it several times with a 50ft string until you feel confident you have solved the problem and test firing shows it's safe to fire. Then and only them would I recommend sending Stew a PM asking $450 for the rifle. He knows they're rare and worth alot more than what they sold for in the past.

Do you reside in South Dakota?

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem

Last edited by dinny; 11-07-2019 at 12:10 AM.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:17 AM

Another thing to think about is how well the barrel is matched to the receiver. If the lockup is a bit too tight, the receiver's barrel catch will barely catch the barrel lug. I've seen this multiple times in barrels and receivers I have mated. If it's barely catching, it might appear to be locked up, but in fact it is not fully locked. That could cause it to pop open when fired. It's easy enough to fix with some light stoning on the rear of the lug. The thumb plunger for the barrel release needs to pop back up when the barrel closes and locks. If it doesn't, you're not really locked up.

And if you don't want it, I've been looking for a 300 BLK Barrel for awhile, so I'd buy the barrel or entire gun from you.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Gun Cabinet

Allow me excuse myself. I was half asleep when I posted last night. Welcome to GBO and I'm glad your injury wasn't any worse than it is. Like you I have a young son and would have been sick to my stomach if it would have happened to him.

You've come to the right place for all things Handi. Our membership consists of a number of people who are knowledgeable and caring and a few who forgot how to send certain things via PM.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

A few replies before I am off to work. Excuse me if I do not catch you all right now. Yes I am from South Dakota for starters

There was only one bullet in the barrel

Load data not to be reproduced for obvious reasons was slightly less than half a charge(7.5 GR) of Vitivori n120 pushing a 125 gr Hornady SP lit with a WW small rifle primer.

I have been experiencing difficulty getting the action to close. I was contemplating head space as the Issue. No such difficulty closing the action was apparent on the shot that did the damage to self.

Off to work! more later.

Thanks for all the input again!
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 AM

My guess is maybe you didn't have it closed all the way or the latch is faulty. id say the bullet stuck in the barrel and the case flew out not because of detonation or a squib load but because the pressure of the burning gases is the same everywhere and the case has less friction holding it in then the bullet. Especially since you said you've had problems closing the action id about bet it never closed properly. Not handy but the first shotgun I ever had was a single shot savage and after some years it didn't latch properly and would open when it was fired and eject the shell out and it didn't have an ejector. But with the lighter pressures of a shotgun it just kind of popped out and fell on the ground. After a year or so of that dad sent it in to savage and they replaced the latch and it never did it again. Told dad it slowed me down for a second shot

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:41 AM

Take a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and make sure locking shelf is clean, both receiver side and barrel.

If your going to play with cat sneeze loads I strongly recomend getting yourself a stash of Red Dot.

3 to 6 grains will give you good accuracy, very light recoil, moderate speed, which along with a nice big chunk of lead is more than enough to give a deer a bad hair day.

I've had a few actions pop on firing, but never stuck a round in the barrel or got brass in the head.

Best of luck to you and heal fast.
Just N of you in Fargo ND

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page