Handi 44mag bullet choice? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Default Handi 44mag bullet choice?

I have a Handi rifle in 44mag and need a bullet choice ASAP. Gun season opens week after Thanksgiving and apparently my XTP bullets are bad for whitetail from a rifle due to fragmentation. I am currently looking at .430 Winchester JSP and Hi tek coated lead but not sure how a coated lead bullet will perform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 AM

I used Speer Deep Curl 240gr soft points (not hollow points) in my muzzle loader. Velocity is around 1800fps and the front quartering shot I took on a deer last year the bullet travel about 24” and didn’t come apart. The year before my son shot a deer broadside and the bullet exited with about a quarter size hole. My shot was 10 yards and my son’s was about 40 yards.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:07 AM

I've shot lots of deer with the Hornady 240 gr XTP. They all performed perfectly and all exited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I have access to lots of degradation tags where I live plus have hunted deer in Northern Missouri for years. I have filled 50 of those degradation tags in the last 10 years using Hornady XTP bullets. Either in in a CVA Scout 44 mag, Marlin 1894 44 mag but most with a CVA muzzleloader using XTPs in a sabot. Regardless of the gun used they are all running 18-2000 fps. I have never lost a deer shot with an XTP. I killed a 12 point bruiser in Missouri at 85 yards with the 1894. The XTP hit him in the high lung area where I measured him to be 18 inches thick. He had a quarter sized entry wound and a 2 inch exit wound. His get away attempt lasted for 25 short yards.

I don't know who says that they are too frangible but I disagree wholeheartedly. I will only take a broadside shot and that plays into my success. I will turn down a Texas heart shot(up the butt) every time.

If you shoot them like they should be shot in a broadside boiler room only proposition then the XTP is perfect!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis223 View Post
I have a Handi rifle in 44mag and need a bullet choice ASAP. Gun season opens week after Thanksgiving and apparently my XTP bullets are bad for whitetail from a rifle due to fragmentation. I am currently looking at .430 Winchester JSP and Hi tek coated lead but not sure how a coated lead bullet will perform.

I too have killed a truck load of deer with the 240 grain XTP in a muzzleloader and a couple .44 mag rifles. Don't know where you got your information on the XTP, but I disagree.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:33 PM

I used XTP 240 gr in both NEF and CVA rifles, and they did the job well. Before that also used 240 gr JSPs in both WW and Rem..and they worked well also.

In my experience, within it's range, the .44 mag is very capable deer round using almost any reasonable load.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 11-19-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Used a lot of 240 grain XTP bullets, in a Handi rifle, as well as a Marlin. They always worked well. That's what I shoot from my muzzle loader also.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:07 PM

I had used the 240 XTP to good effect, but preferred the Gold Dot/Deep Curl in 270 grain. I had the XTP's shed a jacket or two, but the chunk of lead kept on trucking. The 270 grain Deep Curl is in a world of its own for penetration no matter what reasonable angle you are inserting the lead. I would recommend anything but a Texas heart shot, but the Deep Curl might handle that just as well.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:34 PM

If you have any intrest in shooting factory ammo,give the Atomic 240 grain HP a try...killed a 350 pound boar hog last year with a severely quartering away shot at 40 yards... Bullet entered just in front of the left ham and came to rest aginst the right jaw bone... 4 feet or so of penetration through a big,tough animal... Not sure what bullet Atomic loads in thier factory rounds,but it really preformed...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:42 PM

A 310 grain cast Lee bullet will take anything smaller than a T-Rex......

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page