How did everyone's Handi deer season go? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Spike Buck on 3rd day. So far 5 deer with 6 shots with my Wifes 243 Handi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshunter1 View Post
Spike Buck on 3rd day. So far 5 deer with 6 shots with my Wifes 243 Handi.
That's what I like to hear. My favorite caliber and probably most finicky handi. Pet load or factory ammo?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Only carried my 158 30-30 one day this season. Saw a couple small doe, but I just cant bring myself to shoot those little ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:07 PM

I got My deer, but the Handi part of it was a failure. Last spring I found a good load for My 444 Marlin, and sighted it in from My deer stand. My deer came in this fall, I waited for the shot I wanted, squeezed the shot off, and when I recovered from the recoil, the deer was not there. I waited, then went to look. No deer, no blood, no hair, nothing. Searching, searching, searching, ah, a bullet hole in the base of a white pine tree. I found a straight branch, stuck it in the hole, and it pointed back to My deer stand. Back in the stand, looking through the scope at the hole, it was obvious I shot over the deer. How can this be. The next day, I was taking a hard look at the rifle. Something is moving. The Tupperware stock was loose on the receiver. When I set the forearm on the rest, with the loose stock, it canted the barrel up causing Me to shoot high. D*#m.

I have a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate stock for the rifle. I knew some of these are lined up parallel with the bore, and some come canted down, which bothers Me. But I thought maybe I'll get the straight one, so I ordered it. Nope. I ended up with the one that cants down. I didn't like the way it shot, and it bothered Me so bad I took it off. In the meantime, the Tupperware stock narrowed down in width so much I couldn't get a thin wall socket in to install the bolt. I had to heat it up with boiling water to force the bolt and socket in and get it as tight as I could. Load developement and sightin must have loosened it up. Maybe the heat had something to do with it ?

I made a Thumbhole stock for a TC Contender, and I may have to consider making one for this Handi.

I was relegated to later get My deer with My 260 Remington. Booring :-((

Jim
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
I got My deer, but the Handi part of it was a failure. Last spring I found a good load for My 444 Marlin, and sighted it in from My deer stand. My deer came in this fall, I waited for the shot I wanted, squeezed the shot off, and when I recovered from the recoil, the deer was not there. I waited, then went to look. No deer, no blood, no hair, nothing. Searching, searching, searching, ah, a bullet hole in the base of a white pine tree. I found a straight branch, stuck it in the hole, and it pointed back to My deer stand. Back in the stand, looking through the scope at the hole, it was obvious I shot over the deer. How can this be. The next day, I was taking a hard look at the rifle. Something is moving. The Tupperware stock was loose on the receiver. When I set the forearm on the rest, with the loose stock, it canted the barrel up causing Me to shoot high. D*#m.

I have a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate stock for the rifle. I knew some of these are lined up parallel with the bore, and some come canted down, which bothers Me. But I thought maybe I'll get the straight one, so I ordered it. Nope. I ended up with the one that cants down. I didn't like the way it shot, and it bothered Me so bad I took it off. In the meantime, the Tupperware stock narrowed down in width so much I couldn't get a thin wall socket in to install the bolt. I had to heat it up with boiling water to force the bolt and socket in and get it as tight as I could. Load developement and sightin must have loosened it up. Maybe the heat had something to do with it ?

I made a Thumbhole stock for a TC Contender, and I may have to consider making one for this Handi.

I was relegated to later get My deer with My 260 Remington. Booring :-((
FW, ugh what a misfortune. I have always been skeptical to the famous loose butt stock until I hear stories like these. Some of the Tupperware stocks are thinned wall, and I feel the boiling water probably didnt help much on forming shape. I'm not a big fan on the synthetics even though I have my fair share or them, but I have been using a lock washer on my butt stock bolt and it seems to have helped. The positive thing you have 2 of my bucket list calibers there. A 444 Handi and a 260 Remmy bolt. Feel free to pm me your 444 load for when I accumulate one to try.

Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
Only carried my 158 30-30 one day this season. Saw a couple small doe, but I just cant bring myself to shoot those little ones.

I prefer not to shoot the little ones but it happens they sure are tender and tasty. I somehow way misjudged one on Saturday. Thought sure it was an average size 100 lb doe, turned out to be about 60 lbs. Frankengun dropped her at 153 yards. Iím new to the 30/30 cartridge but Iím impressed with the accuracy, light recoil, and quiet sound. Forgot my ear plugs but it didnít ring my ears like my Ď06 would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357 Mag camo syn stock, 30/30 cinnamon lam checkered straight grip stock, 20 ga USH camo syn stock, 20 ga Topper Jr 490 cut to 21.5" and Rem Chokes, 357 Rem Max nickel Topper 88 .410 stock.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Gun Cabinet

Ohio has a bonus 2 day gun season going on right now Dec. 21-22 and I hunted yesterday with my homemade handi 38-55 carbine and didn't see any deer. This evening the gun will be a Win. 1885 in 45-70. I change guns everytime out as I have many not blooded yet.

jedman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	238492  

Still kickin

Last edited by jedman; 12-22-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added pic of handi carbine
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedman View Post
Ohio has a bonus 2 day gun season going on right now Dec. 21-22 and I hunted yesterday with my homemade handi 38-55 carbine and didn't see any deer. This evening the gun will be a Win. 1885 in 45-70. I change guns everytime out as I have many not blooded yet.

jedman
Jedman,
That is a really nice rifle pictured.

Stew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page