Graybeard Outdoors banner

JES rebore

9K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  336ER 
#1 ·
Considering having a .300BO Handi barrel rebored to .357Max. Has anyone done so using JES? If so, does their price include the extractor work or is that extra?

#3 ·
Yes, he did one for me. I had him chamber it to .357 mag and later rechambered to .357 max. I shot it as a .357 mag and it was very accurate. Having him rechamber to max would likely be fine. I wanted to use the forum reamer for cutting the throat and lead but his reamer is probably just as good. I went with 3 groove rifling and a 1:14 twist.

The extractor was close to working as is. Mine had a flat surface where the extractor contacted the case body during feeding so I put a small radius on the flat edge with a dremel stone and it worked perfect. It took only a small amount of material removal to make it feed without dragging.

Ask JES to remark the barrel for you or get with Dinny to see if you can use his etching machine. I can post a picture of what the finished etch from his template looks like if you're interested.

#9 ·
NeckisRedman: This is true for all the rebore projects. You have to do it because it's what you want not because of the resale value.

I have three maxi's and would not ever sell the .357 BO JES for less than $550. It's even better than my Encore MGM maxi. Much lighter and handier. Probably equal in the accuracy department but it is basically a shorter barrelled superlight. If you're ever in the area stop by and I'll let you check her out.:tango_face_grin:

#10 ·
NeckisRedman: This is true for all the rebore projects. You have to do it because it's what you want not because of the resale value.

I have three maxi's and would not ever sell the .357 BO JES for less than $550. It's even better than my Encore MGM maxi. Much lighter and handier. Probably equal in the accuracy department but it is basically a shorter barrelled superlight. If you're ever in the area stop by and I'll let you check her out.:tango_face_grin:
So Dave did you say 550 would own it?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
That is the most Handi rifle ever built !

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I agree with Lt.Dave with one caveat. I have a 9mm stub job that is just as short, light, and handy. And it shoots .359 125 gr cast lights out. Could do heavier I'm sure but it likes them big or it keyholes and shotgun patterns. I really should try loading some 158 gr for it.

#23 ·
It’s a toss up $ and Cents wise. It’s 250 ish for the re bore. You get a 16” threaded 357 Maxi barrel. To buy a already chambered Maxi or a mag and re chamber then shorten to 16” then thread. Costs are really gonna be quite similar in the end.

As stated it’s up to you. If it makes you happy, it’s worth it.

CW

#24 ·
This is my problem with a rebore something I would like to have. donner barrel around $300.00 $20 dollars to ship then rebore 250 but Jes does not do that cal. so I have to go to another shop and the job is $350 plus shipping they don't have the chamber reamer so ad another $60 dollars then ad 4 to 6 month wait time. So I am left with a choice try and do a stub barrel forget the whole thing or add a couple hundred and buy a used Ruger number one in the cal. that I wont or just forget the whole thing because it is not what I wont. I am leaning at just for getting the whole project. Then there is always the problem when you get the rebore will it be a good shooter.

Deaconllb

#25 ·
Deacon,

I really think the best deal for custom calibers is to go with an MGM Encore barrel. The resale is fairly good for up to the price you paid for the barrel and there is good demand for them if you decide to sell.

You never get back to break even on a rebore unless you buy the donor barrel for a low initial cost.

Just my $.02

Dave

#26 ·
Well Dave if you don't own a Encore and you are looking for a rebore for a TCR rifle barrel not much use in buying a MGM. I know the guys at MGM or at least the ones that set up at the big gun shows and MGM used to do the TCR barrels back when they were Virgin Valley but no more. I even tried to get them to do a stub no way. I may have thrown you off by posting on this subject sorry. I think the real reason that no one wonts to do a rebarrel on the TCR is that it is almost impossible to get the old barrel out of the mono block as they are pressed in and then either pinned with 2 pins or spot welded.

Deaconllb

#28 ·
Smart!

#33 ·
The one I finally got to the point of almost having him do the job wanted the whole gun needed to make sure it would fire and all, now I hear his business is listed for sale, glad I never went that route.

deaconllb

#38 ·
He does fine work with quick turn around.
CW

#41 ·
I love the 600's. The Mohawks did not have vent ribs, so you must have an older one. I've also got an October 1964 model in 35 rem. Quite rare as they only made 3028 of them in that caliber. The ribs can be removed but dont remember if they are screwed on. I know they are plastic which was a tragic mistake on Remington's part i feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.