Recommended .223 Barrel for Coyote - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Recommended .223 Barrel for Coyote

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I'm seeking opinions/suggestions on what would be the best .223 Handi barrel for coyotes in middle Tennessee. I mention middle Tennessee because, more than likely, I would not be making long shots like someone out west. Generally, our fields are smaller, and our woods are mostly brushy with undergrowth, not so much open like woods with mature hardwoods. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Sidewinder_; 01-18-2020 at 05:47 PM. Reason: I reload, so would be interested in "extractor" barrels only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 05:51 PM

I like the 20 inch Superlight, mainly because I like light and Handi. Here on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the terrain is much as you describe with five or so months of snow added in. I use a 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner, usually set at 3 or 4 power, sighted at 200 yards.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family: .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one Superlight .243, standard .243, .30-30, 16.5 inch .30-40, .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55. 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=petemi;2056000988]I like the 20 inch Superlight, mainly because I like light and Handi. Here on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the terrain is much as you describe with five or so months of snow added in. I use a 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner, usually set at 3 or 4 power, sighted at 200 yards.

Pete, thanks for the recommendation. I'm relatively new to the Handis, even though I own a few. I don't know how to differentiate between the different barrel configurations, such a Ultra Lite, Super lite etc. How can I recognize a SuperLight barrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Superlight barrels are 20" and slim down a lot just past the chamber swell much the same as vintage Topper rifle barrels, they don't start fat and taper slowly to the muzzle like 22" barrels do.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barrel Difference Superlight-Standard.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	240082  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barrel Difference Superlight-Standard2.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	240084  

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:25 AM

I also recommend shorter. But like a heavier contour handis are Light and I like a bit of muzzle Forward weight in them.

If shorter is appealing a few minutes with a hack saw, a Flat file and a carriage bolt with valve grinding compound will have a barrel pruned to any legal Length you desire.

If your not dead set on the 223, there are a couple Other calibers that might make a search easier and faster.
I have a good shooting 22 Hornet I love mine and shot it enough to warrant the Improved conversion. This was done for brass life more then power improvement.
The 300 Black out is another good round with supers. Don’t sell the lil 300 short most that do only look at it as a QCB hand Gun round for use with a suppressor and subs. It can do ALLOT more!

Big of these can excel under the conditions your suggesting.

Good luck with your search!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:47 PM

I have a standard 223 barrel that I had shortened to 16 1/2". It is more accurate and easier to use in the woods than before. Longer barrels are nice at the range, this one is for ease of packing when looking for critters.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
Superlight barrels are 20" and slim down a lot just past the chamber swell much the same as vintage Topper rifle barrels, they don't start fat and taper slowly to the muzzle like 22" barrels do.

Tim
Thanks for your reply and the pics. The comparison is easy to see in the pics. I guess I was hoping for a "sticky" that covered all of the barrels, with information (if available) that would allow accurate identification in the field.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmoose View Post
I have a standard 223 barrel that I had shortened to 16 1/2". It is more accurate and easier to use in the woods than before. Longer barrels are nice at the range, this one is for ease of packing when looking for critters.
FM

Thanks for your reply. I think I may have a "Super 16" barrel for my TCs, but was looking for a .223 barrel that would fit one of my Handi rifles, with extractor, that would be the best coyote barrel.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
I also recommend shorter. But like a heavier contour handis are Light and I like a bit of muzzle Forward weight in them.

If shorter is appealing a few minutes with a hack saw, a Flat file and a carriage bolt with valve grinding compound will have a barrel pruned to any legal Length you desire.

If your not dead set on the 223, there are a couple Other calibers that might make a search easier and faster.
I have a good shooting 22 Hornet I love mine and shot it enough to warrant the Improved conversion. This was done for brass life more then power improvement.
The 300 Black out is another good round with supers. Donít sell the lil 300 short most that do only look at it as a QCB hand Gun round for use with a suppressor and subs. It can do ALLOT more!

Big of these can excel under the conditions your suggesting.

Good luck with your search!

CW

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you on the 22 Hornet, as I have a Handi in .22 Hornet that I bought from a member on here, and love it. I have .223s in other platforms, but wanted one that would also reach out a little further, on the Handi Rifle platform. Just like it's not easy to stop eating on just one Frito, it's not easy to be satisfied in Handi Rifle barrels. Always need one more!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:37 PM

I mentioned it cause it perfectly fits the property You describe and I also hunt.

I have shot wood chucks with my Contender PISTOL in Hornet at over 250y. It pretty much just pokes a hole from that short barrel. But kilt him dead!
In the 22” in its improved guise it would likely still have the steam to expand.

Coyotes generally have a nickel or almost quarter sized exit from 50g exp Sierra bullets. Our Coyotes are big. Can’t remember the last one UNDER 50#.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page