Graybeard Outdoors banner

Recommended .223 Barrel for Coyote

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Pinoc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I'm seeking opinions/suggestions on what would be the best .223 Handi barrel for coyotes in middle Tennessee. I mention middle Tennessee because, more than likely, I would not be making long shots like someone out west. Generally, our fields are smaller, and our woods are mostly brushy with undergrowth, not so much open like woods with mature hardwoods. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
I like the 20 inch Superlight, mainly because I like light and Handi. Here on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the terrain is much as you describe with five or so months of snow added in. I use a 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner, usually set at 3 or 4 power, sighted at 200 yards.

Pete

#3 ·
I like the 20 inch Superlight, mainly because I like light and Handi. Here on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the terrain is much as you describe with five or so months of snow added in. I use a 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner, usually set at 3 or 4 power, sighted at 200 yards.

Pete, thanks for the recommendation. I'm relatively new to the Handis, even though I own a few. I don't know how to differentiate between the different barrel configurations, such a Ultra Lite, Super lite etc. How can I recognize a SuperLight barrel?

#4 ·
Superlight barrels are 20" and slim down a lot just past the chamber swell much the same as vintage Topper rifle barrels, they don't start fat and taper slowly to the muzzle like 22" barrels do.

Tim

Attachments

#5 ·
I also recommend shorter. But like a heavier contour handis are Light and I like a bit of muzzle Forward weight in them.

If shorter is appealing a few minutes with a hack saw, a Flat file and a carriage bolt with valve grinding compound will have a barrel pruned to any legal Length you desire.

If your not dead set on the 223, there are a couple Other calibers that might make a search easier and faster.
I have a good shooting 22 Hornet I love mine and shot it enough to warrant the Improved conversion. This was done for brass life more then power improvement.
The 300 Black out is another good round with supers. Don’t sell the lil 300 short most that do only look at it as a QCB hand Gun round for use with a suppressor and subs. It can do ALLOT more!

Big of these can excel under the conditions your suggesting.

Good luck with your search!

CW

#9 ·
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you on the 22 Hornet, as I have a Handi in .22 Hornet that I bought from a member on here, and love it. I have .223s in other platforms, but wanted one that would also reach out a little further, on the Handi Rifle platform. Just like it's not easy to stop eating on just one Frito, it's not easy to be satisfied in Handi Rifle barrels. Always need one more!

#6 ·
I have a standard 223 barrel that I had shortened to 16 1/2". It is more accurate and easier to use in the woods than before. Longer barrels are nice at the range, this one is for ease of packing when looking for critters.
FM

#10 ·
I mentioned it cause it perfectly fits the property You describe and I also hunt.

I have shot wood chucks with my Contender PISTOL in Hornet at over 250y. It pretty much just pokes a hole from that short barrel. But kilt him dead!
In the 22” in its improved guise it would likely still have the steam to expand.

Coyotes generally have a nickel or almost quarter sized exit from 50g exp Sierra bullets. Our Coyotes are big. Can’t remember the last one UNDER 50#.

CW

#11 ·
I guess I should have mentioned that the barrel I was referring to is on a Handi and is an extractor. I really like the fact that, broken down, it fits in a specialty pistol case that is 23" OAL. I do have some T/Cs as well, this rifle is for packing when camping or finding a suicidal coyote in a wheat field while driving by.
FM

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
After reading the posts in this thread, I'm salivating like one would be at the smell of granny's fresh baked apple pie! The pics that Tim posted, sealed the deal. So, in the fashion of Sheriff Buford T. Justice, in Smokey & The Bandit, I'm in "hot pursuit" of a Superlight barrel, chambered in .223 Rem., with iron sights, extractors, unmolested and reasonably priced. Please see my post in the WTB H&R classified. Thanks

#13 ·
I posted a classified ad in the H&R classified section, and it was there after I posted it... but, it doesn't seem to be there now! Just wondering if I did something wrong? I basically just described the barrel that I was looking for. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.