Will an Ultra Slug Furniture fit any SB2 Frame? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Will an Ultra Slug Furniture fit any SB2 Frame?

Being a somewhat "newbie" to the Handi Rifles, I have a couple of questions. Will a wood stock set from an Ultra Slug gun fit any SB2 Handi frame? I'm trying to buy the set listed in the H&R Classifieds, and wanted to make sure I could take the synthetic set off of my .22 Hornet Handi (keeper) and install the wood Ultra Slug butt-stock and forearm. Also, I can't seem to find the "PM" button to send the poster a message. Yep! I'm a newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:40 PM

The Ultra Slug 20 ga will fit but your barrel will look lost in the big forearm channel. The Ultra Slug 12 ga uses a 10 ga receiver. Click on the sellers name, a box will pop up showing options one of which is PM.

357 Mag camo syn stock, 30/30 cinnamon lam checkered straight grip stock, 20 ga USH camo syn stock, 20 ga Topper Jr 490 cut to 21.5" and Rem Chokes, 357 Rem Max nickel Topper 88 .410 stock.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

All the Ultraslugs can use the same stock including the 10ga based 12ga USH because the frame at the tang is the same as SB1 and SB2 frames, the only difference in the 10ga frame is it has a lower watertable to allow for the .100" larger chamber swell on the 10ga/12ga USH barrel, but the forends are different because of the larger barrel diameter.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quickdtoo & 45/70fan, thanks for the information. I sent the USPS money order today, so I'll be trying to put the stock set to use shortly. Can you guys tell me if there's any difference in the length of the mounting hardware between the synthetic and wood furniture? I like wood and had planned to remove the synthetic and install the wood. Also, do you think that Ultra Slug forearm would work on a bull barrel?

Sidebar: Recently bought a H&R Handi with a factory matched barrel set in .223 & .308. All numbers matched and the .223 barrel is a bull barrel. I believe the .308 barrel is also. I don't see much discussion about the .308 on here. What are you guys thoughts on the .308 on the Handi platform for deer or other larger game? Thanks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 PM

Check out the FAQ's ..... https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-...ken-links.html

The stock bolt is a standard 3/8"-24x 4" fine thread cap screw available at Ace, True Value, and other hardware stores, the Survivor and new style syn[/color] stock takes a 5" bolt. Be sure to have add a 10mm flat washer or two to insure the bolt isn't too long and interfere with hammer travel, 10mm washers are smaller in OD and fit best. Laminated thumbhole stocks take a 2" button head socket bolt, available from H&R or bolt supply houses.

357 Mag camo syn stock, 30/30 cinnamon lam checkered straight grip stock, 20 ga USH camo syn stock, 20 ga Topper Jr 490 cut to 21.5" and Rem Chokes, 357 Rem Max nickel Topper 88 .410 stock.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 09:56 PM

side winder, i installed a 20ga ultra slug stock and forearm on my .243 ultra varmint bull barrel. it looks like it was made for it.

Mike
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

45/70 Fan & Treeslayer, thanks for that information. I'll check out the FAQs and I did find out that the stock set coming to me came off a 20Ga Ultra Slug. I believe this to be the "factory" set. Would either of you know what wood an H&R Ultra Slug stock set is made from? Thanks again.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:06 AM

Birch. But the laminated variety I don't know.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder_ View Post
45/70 Fan & Treeslayer, thanks for that information. I'll check out the FAQs and I did find out that the stock set coming to me came off a 20Ga Ultra Slug. I believe this to be the "factory" set. Would either of you know what wood an H&R Ultra Slug stock set is made from? Thanks again.
Some were laminate and some were palletwood.

You can bed them to a smaller barrel using jb weld wood stick. It is an epoxy stick, light brown color, that you mix by kneading with your hands. Push it down in the forend channel with your fingers and then screw your barrel on tight to squeeze the material around the shape of the barrel. Rub a candle on the bottom of the barrel first to make a bond release. It cures hard and can be sanded to finish.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Some were laminate and some were palletwood.

You can bed them to a smaller barrel using jb weld wood stick. It is an epoxy stick, light brown color, that you mix by kneading with your hands. Push it down in the forend channel with your fingers and then screw your barrel on tight to squeeze the material around the shape of the barrel. Rub a candle on the bottom of the barrel first to make a bond release. It cures hard and can be sanded to finish.

Lt Dave, thanks for that information. I'm familiar with the JB Weld two part that you mix the white with the black, and end up with gray, But not the JB Weld Wood Stick. I'll have to check that out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page