new barrels - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Default new barrels

How hard would it be to tool up to make new barrels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 01:02 PM

Difficulty is not the real issue - it is more about liability, legality, and profitability. There are contract manufacturing business that would be fully capable of turning out generic barrels as either unchambered blanks or complete headspaced barrels in specific calibers. But the quantity is most likely to low to go that route in a profitable manner. I make brass trigger guards in my home shop. I have sold quite few. These could have been made by one of several CNC machine shops, but they did not want to spend the time to create the required fixtures and programs or handle one piece orders. So until someone wants to do it as a side business, it probably just won't happen. The liability question is a huge one with our society and will keep many from offering something like a barrel, due to possible lawsuits if someone should improperly fit a barrel or fit it to an unsafe receiver. As for the legal side, I suspect that someone who decided to make and sell barrels may have to have a firearms manufacturing license - just a guess on my part on that. To reduce liability, whoever decided to offer barrels would most likely have to offer fitting, which most certainly would require a gunsmithing license (FFL), or possibly sell only to gunsmiths who would offer the fitting service. That's my thinking on the subject. I would love to be able to offer barrels - but I suspect if there was any real market for them, someone like Green Mountain would at least be offering blanks with the barrel lug and extractor parts. It would be interesting to see if anyone could obtain factory blueprints for the barrel and lug.

Dan - Handi's - 157 22 Hornet Mannlicher Stock, 157 30-30 Mannlicher stock, 45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine with 22K-Hornet and .357 Max Talo barrels, 45-70 Buffalo Classic, 204 Ruger Ultra with Fluted Barrel, 223, 12 Gauge Topper Deluxe Classic, 20 gauge TDC, 20 Gauge Topper Junior Classic, Pardner .410 Youth, 17HMR Sportster, .357 Mag Handi...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 03:09 PM

Blueprints have been reverse engineered by Swede Nelson. A monoblock could be easily made with the proper equipment and fixtures, for either threaded or slip fit barrels. No license required for doing that.

Fitting the barrels to a customer's gun would require a license. License required to be able to receive the action, keep it on premises without the customer being present, and to return it to the customer.

If the customer sent a barrel that fit the action to be used, it could be used to get the fit close but I would not guarantee that it would work reliably every time. That would not require a license either.

Gave up my license when Clinton's administration raised the yearly fee to $200 as I was not a fulltime gunsmith.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Make your own!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hrlug.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	243382  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Underlug welding jig.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	243384  

Attached Files
File Type: doc Building a Barrel for a Handi-Rifle.doc (83.5 KB, 57 views)

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

I would make my own if I was younger and my machinist friends were still living.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:54 PM
WLB

What's the latest ruling on the ITAR requirement. If ITAR payment is still required to make any gun part, even with no foreign sales, that would add several thousand dollars per year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page