Rebore/rechambers - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Default Rebore/rechambers

Currently have a 243 handi but I keep looking at it wondering what could I have the barrel reamed to, insert made for etc. More just as an exercise in curiosity. What are the major options for common barrels, such as 243, 308, 223 to get converted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 06:33 PM

Rechamber is limited to 6mm Remington Ackley Improved as far as I know.

Rebore can be to anything from .260 Remington to .338 Federal to .358 Winchester. Maybe a few others but you get the idea. Probably need to stick with
308 based cartridges.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 PM

Gun Cabinet

7.62x54r should work

303 Britt is my favorite Handi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

I guess the next question would be anyone have someone they recommend for the job?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 AM

JES rebores/rerifles, and rechambers in tbe new caliber. Most go with his 3 button rifling as it is less expensive.

I do not think I have heard of a single un-satisfied customer yet. He has done a whole slew of Win 94 lever guns in .30-30 to .38-55 or a wildcat .35-30-30. Essentially a .30-30 necked up to shoot .35 caliber bullets. Those who go that way fire form a loaded .30-30 in the gun which blows out the brass. Then use a .35 Rem or similar die to set bullets, and only neck size from then on. 3 in a half inch to 3/4's of an inch at 100 is about average from what I have heard. He cranks out real shooters.

But, he is old, set in his ways, there are things he will do and things he won't try.

Cost would be around 250$ plus shipping the barrel to him.

Best solution if interested is to google JES reboring get the ;phone number and call until you catch him.

I have a 1944 built Win 94 that looks great on the outside, but has a sewer pipe bore. My first 9 shots from a rest at 25 yards one touched paper. The other 8 are lost in space. I have not commited to this project yet because I don't need another rifle with iron sights. At 67 my eyes refuse to focus on anything with iron sights over 50 yards. And grafting a Red Dot sight on a classic gun like that just goes against my grain.

But JES is not the only guy that rebores, relines or rifles barrels. Considering the .243 your starting with I'd be thinking about things like .257 roberts.

Lots of options out there, just takes some digging to find them.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

The only issue with JES is he doesn't rebore to anything smaller than .338", Oregunsmithing does pretty much anything you need, but it will take longer and cost more.

Tim

http://www.35caliber.com/8.html

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Reb...zzleBrake.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 02:32 PM

I sent a .223 Remington to JES Reboring on 3-19-25. He received it on 3-25 and I got it back today 4-6-20. That was a 12 day turn door to door. He rebored it to 35 Remington.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 07:22 PM

Gun Cabinet

Wayne York at Oregunsmithing. The only thing he won’t do is straight wall rimless cartridges

303 Britt is my favorite Handi!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 07:39 PM

I want to give Wayne York a rebore project some day soon. He has done a few rechamber projects for me and they are stellar.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Do any of them do break actions besides the handis. I picked up a rossi 223 ( older one non-swappable barrels apparently)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page