First H&R Project - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Default First H&R Project

hey yall, this is my first time putting together an H&R. I did all kinds of reading on here and decided to give it a whirl, so I bought a 25-06 barrel off ebay and a SB2 frame off gun broker. Well it turns out that the frame and the barrel came from the same guy, and he told me they are matching barrel and frame. So just to be sure i got out my feeler gages and I found that if i give the gun a good firm close I can hardly pull any thickness of shim out, but if I just kind of push it shut I can pull out several thousandths of shim. The other thing I noticed was when operating the hammer or trigger it feels almost like its gummed up in there. On my factory 44 mag it has very sharp and audible clicks of the hammer and trigger, this new frame does not have the same sharpness. I was wondering if it could just be all dirty in there causing the issues. I have read all the FAQs and understand all of it, I just wanna run things by guys on here that have done this several times before I go doing anything. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bitzer676; 04-04-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Stop. Do not use an Sb1 receiver with a high pressure rifle barrel. They were never a factory set. Sb2 only for 25-06.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:35 PM

Default First H&R Project

STOP!!! Listen to the advice above, you are playing with a hand grenade!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357 Mag camo syn stock, 30/30 cinnamon lam checkered straight grip stock, 20 ga USH camo syn stock, 20 ga Topper Jr 490 cut to 21.5" and Rem Chokes, 357 Rem Max nickel Topper 88 .410 stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Iím sorry guys that is most definitely a typo, I have an SB 2! It has the open cut frame on the back where the buttstock mounts. Iím going to edit and fix that, my apologies.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

If the 25-06 barrel is an ejector and the 44 mag is an extractor, the difference in how they close is due to the ejector, the ejector spring has to be compressed to allow the action to close, there's no spring to compress on an extractor barrel, so it doesn't have that resistance. Best advice is never close the action gently, it should be done firmly to ensure good lock up, see the Handi Basics sticky.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 12:13 PM

If you check the barrel lug there should be 3 numbers etched by hand into the steel. If the barrel and receiver are a factory match then these last three numbers on the receiver should also match.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Yes they match exactly. They are kind of light so I didnít notice them at first, thank you! Iím glad itís a match but I was kinda of looking forward to a little project too.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 PM

i don't think a good cleaning and lube could hurt, just try not to get lube on the latch and lug, they should stay pretty well dry.

Mike
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzer676 View Post
Yes they match exactly. They are kind of light so I didnít notice them at first, thank you! Iím glad itís a match but I was kinda of looking forward to a little project too.
After you shoot it there may be a few things you may decide to improve. I would shoot it first though.

Very important to get the scope rail on securely before mounting a scope. A loose rail has ruined many opinions of handi rifles accuracy when the owner didn't realize it was loose. Typically you should remove it and reinstall the screws with blue loctite. Finger tite on the torque.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
After you shoot it there may be a few things you may decide to improve. I would shoot it first though.

Very important to get the scope rail on securely before mounting a scope. A loose rail has ruined many opinions of handi rifles accuracy when the owner didn't realize it was loose. Typically you should remove it and reinstall the screws with blue loctite. Finger tite on the torque.

A scope and a new rail is next on the list for me; the rail that was on it when I got it was the kind with the set screw on the front that you can tighten down on the barrel. Well it was cranked down hard enough that it left a couple dimples in the barrel. Quality ammo is also on the list, but a lot of it is sold out right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page