Graybeard Outdoors banner

303 in a 30-40 krag?

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Drilling Man 
#1 ·
So i came across a deal on alot of factory loaded 303 ammo from FC and R-P. I got it to form the brass to 30-40 krag. For the heck of it I chambered a round in the gun and it closed perfectly. Now i know the 303 is actually.311. Could i fire this ammo in this gun and fire form all the brass?

#2 ·
As a rule its never a good idea to fire ammo other than whats designed for your bbl.

Compairi f whats seen here It dosent appear it would fit and because of pressures involved COMBINED with larger bullet. It is NOT ADVISABLE.

Text Font Document

Text Font Number

CW

#22 ·
Quote "Then why is German 7.9x57 considered 8mm? All my cases of German 8mm say 7.92."

Some cartridges are designated by bore diameter, some by groove diameter, and many are close to one or the other but not exactly.

#24 ·
What quick said. People named calibers what they felt like. .44 mag should be 43 mag at best.The Mosin Nagant was called the 3 line rifle (30 caliber) yet darn few of them are happy with smaller than .314 or larger bullets. Where US .30 cal all use .309 or .310.

Its a mine field for the average person. But a lot of historical reading can give you some pretty good clues for navigating it. Take it all with a big grain of salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.