Graybeard Outdoors banner

1:12 Twist in the 30-30's....what year was yours made?

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  quickdtoo 
#1 · (Edited)
The FAQ have long said that .30 caliber Handi barrels are 1:10 twist.

A few of us have reported 1:12 barrels. At first, I figured the 1:12's were a few oddball barrels that were only available for a few years in the early 90's, along with some of the old Topper models......but I just received a report of a 1:12 barrel on a 2008 30-30 Handi. I am under the impression the rifle came that way in "stock" form.

I think it's high-time to modify the FAQ info in regards to barrel twist rate in the 30-30's. Surely there are folks that are seeking-out these 1:12 twist barrels (particularly those that shoot cast boolits).

Who's got a 1:12 twist, and what year was it manufactured?

#2 ·
#3 ·
How do the microgroove barrels relate to my question about twist rate?

Are you saying that all the 1:12 barrels are micro groove? The 2008 barrel I referred to earlier, has 8 lands and grooves. I don't know what type of rifling my '93 manufactured Handi has (yet).

To clarify....I am talking about a 1:12 rate of twist. I am not talking about 12 grooves/microgroove.

#6 ·
I wonder if H&R had Winchester make barrels for them at some time since Win used the 12" twist in the M94. There are twist rates (all 10" IIRC) and groove numbers in the link I posted, the question is, what's "typical" for H&R!!! :tango_face_wink: I added a 1:12" note on the twist rate list in the FAQs.

Tim

#7 ·
That could be when it comes to Winchester making Handi barrels.......or maybe they used Winchester equipment. If they used Marlins equipment at one time, then why not Winchesters at another?

Thank you for adding the 1:12 note in the FAQ. For years I didn't want to bother shooting cast in my .30 barrel, because I thought it was a certainty that it was 1:10 twist due to the info in the FAQ section, which sounded definitive to me. The reason I was so excited the day I realized it was 1:12, is because it meant to me that casting for the rifle would be much more feasible.

Try as I might, I could not find info as to the number of lands and grooves for a non-microgroove 30-30 barrel in the two links you shared above. I did find a post about a .308 barrel with 6 grooves.

I also checked the thread lists in the FAQ section, and the only thing I saw that had anything to do with Land/Groove dimensions was a post distinguishing between the .223 caliber 1:12, and .223 caliber 1:9 barrels. I found the specific land groove dimensions for the .223 in the FAQ.......but, incidentally, there was no mention of the number of lands/grooves).

One reason I am wondering, is that I have some slugs I dug out of a berm that was shot into with the Handi 30-30, and also a Win 30-30.......so I'm wondering which rifle shot these slugs I recovered from the berm, since I can see the number of lands/grooves on them (6).

So if anyone knows the typical number of lands/grooves in the NON-microgroove 30-30 Handi barrels........barrels that are NOT micro grooved.......I would appreciate the knowledge. It would be another piece to the Handi 30-30 barrel puzzle.

Thanks for any and all info shared!

#8 ·
Barrel were made by Marlin prior to 2010, by late 2010 H&R had their own barrel plant operational in Ilion. Green Mountain provided barrels sometimes when Marlin couldn't meet the demand.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.