Why television viewership is dying. - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 AM

I changed my direct tv package reciently and have a new 24hr news channel now. It's one American news network. Real news not opinion on the bulk of the segments. The ones that share opinion are very conservative. I'm liking that news channel a lot.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
I changed my direct tv package reciently and have a new 24hr news channel now. It's one American news network. Real news not opinion on the bulk of the segments. The ones that share opinion are very conservative. I'm liking that news channel a lot.
Stupid Dish isn't offering OANN and a lot of their customers are very upset.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:25 PM

I believe it's dying because people are becoming accustomed to living life on their own schedule not the broadcast schedule.

If you've got a cable carrying internet service as well as TV service the cable company doesn't care. If you broadcast on both NBC affiliates and Hulu you don't care. If your advertising is imbedded in the show you don't care either.

Local affiliates are the only ones getting hurt as far as I can tell. They've spent many years proving to me they don't like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

What are the demographics of TV viewers?

1.) The masses are paying high prices for ownership and WiFi internet connection with smart phones and tablets. They load up Social Media all day and night long. Ticky-tack, ticky-tack they teletype one another with text - a WWII era resurgence.

2.) Many of the younger masses are Gamers who are not TV watchers in the first place.

3.) Given the rise and economy of $5.00 Wal Mart DVD movies, one can spend a lifetime watching nothing but first-rate movies.

4.) Then there are the Health Fitness fanatics who are always at the gym or on the road running.

5.) And the Outdoors-men and -women who have better things to do in life than sit and watch TV.

6.) Then the collective mass of Baby Boomers who were raised on watching TV is getting smaller and smaller as they advance to the Nursing Homes and the Great Beyond.

I am certain that I have left out great chunks of Society. You can fill in the gaps...
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:04 AM

I see what you mean, landowner

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM
TM7

BTW---Most hated corporations in America are 'cable companies'.
....TM7
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM7 View Post
BTW---Most hated corporations in America are 'cable companies'.
....TM7
Amen to that. I told Time Warner Cable that I will never do business with them as long as I live. Not because of the rip off that they are or because of their service. I ran into an issue where I needed credit references to buy my house. My ex-wife had stolen my identity while we were still married and destroyed my credit score. It took me two years but I rebuilt my credit to where I had the chance of actually getting a mortgage. My credit union worked with me but told me they needed four credit references. I only had 4 possible choices for a credit reference. 3 of them gave me a credit reference no problem, the last one was Time Warner. I was already under contract to buy my house so time was of the essence. I called Time Warner and they kept giving me the runaround. One person would say they could give me a reference. I'd wait and the reference would never show up. I'd call again and the person I talked to said they couldn't give me a reference. I'd ask to speak to their manager, manager would say they could do it, I'd wait and again the reference would never show up. Meanwhile the clock is ticking on buying the house. I ended up working my way up the manager chain. I finally spoke to the regional manager who told me it was against Time Warner's policy to give out credit reference. I told that manager it was against my policy to ever do business with their company ever again. They send me stuff in the mail all the time and I just throw it in the trash.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
That's interesting. Back in the golden age of television in the mid 1950s to maybe the 1980s, a half hour tv show was a bit over 20 minutes, with the remaining 8 or 9 minutes being for commercials. One hour shows were about 50 minutes. You can find the old episodes for some shows on YouTube to see how long they were.

I don't know if he's still doing it, but a friend of mine has a gadget that allows him to record programs by setting a timer. He can watch it later and skip over the ads. TiVo, I think.

Back in the early 90's I had a Magnavox VCR that let me skip over all the commercials in any recorded programs. Why can not we get that same feature for digital recorders.

Make sure brain is engaged BEFORE putting mouth in gear.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 PM

The reason there are so many commercials is because there are so many providers. We will never again see audiences like were experienced before cable, and the other channels, flooded the network. Stations earn their revenue based of advertising rates based on viewership. A hit show could garner 20-30 million viewers in the 1960's while today 6-10 is about tops. The stations need to run more commercials to make up for diminishing audience size. It is possible to have too much choice for our own good.

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 PM

Smaller audiences, less advertising revenues all while the production costs of programming escalate. Consider how much modern performers get paid, some of them almost enough to qualify as professional athletes. Furthermore compared with the technical quality of modern programs the shows from the 'Golden Age of Television' barely would qualify as home movies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page