Autumn is showing up. - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roswell New Mexico
Posts: 23,877
Default Autumn is showing up.

65 this morning when I took my walk. It wasn't a hot summer anyway not like it usually is. We got by with only ceiling fans. If this is global warming I'll take it lol. until it puts me in a ice cube. Still you gotta love Autumn, my favorite. Things are still growing, days are mild. People calm down a bit.
Argent11 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
goodshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 16,171
Default

crops and stuff drying out here, harvest will be soon, when college football starts we know there will be
snow on the ground by the end of it.
Saw migratory geese heading south a couple weeks ago.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
goodshot is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: -40F area Minn.
Posts: 11,864
Default

Do the trees change color down there?

Up here, a couple of weeks ago, we had a cold snap, where you went out at night and you could see your breath, and parts of a lot of maple trees started showing fall colors.
For up here even, this is early.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 09-06-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Bob Riebe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roswell New Mexico
Posts: 23,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Do the trees change color down there?


Up here, a couple of weeks ago, we had a cold snap, where you went out at night and you could see your breath, and parts of a lot of maple trees started showing fall colors.
For up here even, this is early.
They do and they don't depends on the tree. Some just drop off and that's it. The mountain trees are different, they do about the same as yours. But an Arizona ash will drop off in a couple of days and that's it, pretty trees though. Bob it was downright cold this morning, and even with the sun out it hasn't gotten over 75 today.
Autumn is closing in early this year.
Argent11 is online now  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Member
 
kc34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 594
Default

It is still very hot up here in Alberta. It is going to reach into the mid 80 degrees F. today in Calgary. We have had smoke from the forest fires blowing in from B.C. all summer and they are still burning away out there with no rain and cooler weather in sight.
I don't mind this heat as I have some trim painting to finish up!

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV, 25-06 UH, 30-30, 7-08, 223, 308 Survivor
kc34 is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: -40F area Minn.
Posts: 11,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
crops and stuff drying out here, harvest will be soon, when college football starts we know there will be
snow on the ground by the end of it.
Saw migratory geese heading south a couple weeks ago.

We have areas here where the geese never leave, except if in winter it get below -20 then they have enough sense to move a little further south, anyway when they start flocking whether they leave or not, you know fall is not far.
They started this year in late July.

RR
Bob Riebe is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roswell New Mexico
Posts: 23,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
We have areas here where the geese never leave, except if in winter it get below -20 then they have enough sense to move a little further south, anyway when they start flocking whether they leave or not, you know fall is not far.
They started this year in late July.
And this is only early September. Our birds are getting outta here also. Watch the mesquite trees they are never wrong.
Argent11 is online now  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alaska & Florida
Posts: 10,312
Default

I used to love the high country in the fall. The aspens would turn gold color. Of course the evergreens don't.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
pastorp is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE New Mexico
Posts: 5,866
Default

Sitting on the patio with a cup of coffee and watching the world wake up is one of my favorite things. I've been wearing a zip up hoodie to do it for the last couple of weeks. Earlier one morning this week and this morning with the wind coming across the patio I didn't last long. Temp ran me in the house to waste time at the computer while I warmed up.

There are no native trees up on the Llano, only those planted by man, so some turn and others just shed their leaves. The mesquite bushes are native and if fall stretches out into late November for the first freeze the leaves turn a sick looking yellow-green color. After a hard freeze they just fall off.

I'm heading to Red River tomorrow morning. I might get to see some colors on the leaves and I may be too late.
oldandslow is online now  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roswell New Mexico
Posts: 23,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
Sitting on the patio with a cup of coffee and watching the world wake up is one of my favorite things. I've been wearing a zip up hoodie to do it for the last couple of weeks. Earlier one morning this week and this morning with the wind coming across the patio I didn't last long. Temp ran me in the house to waste time at the computer while I warmed up.

There are no native trees up on the Llano, only those planted by man, so some turn and others just shed their leaves. The mesquite bushes are native and if fall stretches out into late November for the first freeze the leaves turn a sick looking yellow-green color. After a hard freeze they just fall off.

I'm heading to Red River tomorrow morning. I might get to see some colors on the leaves and I may be too late.
It's beginning to look like we are in for an early, and long hard winter O&S. I'm getting a cord of firewood delivered today before the prices go up. I found a good price on a pecan and cedar mix out of Dexter. Older gentleman with sons who will bring it out and stack it for $ 175.00, and that's an entire cord that should do the trick. $120.00 if I fetch it and do it myself, but my Doctor still says no. I don't think he will ever say yes to anything.
Argent11 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome