Autumn is showing up. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Default Autumn is showing up.

65 this morning when I took my walk. It wasn't a hot summer anyway not like it usually is. We got by with only ceiling fans. If this is global warming I'll take it lol. until it puts me in a ice cube. Still you gotta love Autumn, my favorite. Things are still growing, days are mild. People calm down a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:30 PM

crops and stuff drying out here, harvest will be soon, when college football starts we know there will be
snow on the ground by the end of it.
Saw migratory geese heading south a couple weeks ago.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Do the trees change color down there?

Up here, a couple of weeks ago, we had a cold snap, where you went out at night and you could see your breath, and parts of a lot of maple trees started showing fall colors.
For up here even, this is early.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 09-06-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Do the trees change color down there?

Up here, a couple of weeks ago, we had a cold snap, where you went out at night and you could see your breath, and parts of a lot of maple trees started showing fall colors.
For up here even, this is early.
They do and they don't depends on the tree. Some just drop off and that's it. The mountain trees are different, they do about the same as yours. But an Arizona ash will drop off in a couple of days and that's it, pretty trees though. Bob it was downright cold this morning, and even with the sun out it hasn't gotten over 75 today.
Autumn is closing in early this year.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM

It is still very hot up here in Alberta. It is going to reach into the mid 80 degrees F. today in Calgary. We have had smoke from the forest fires blowing in from B.C. all summer and they are still burning away out there with no rain and cooler weather in sight.
I don't mind this heat as I have some trim painting to finish up!

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV, 25-06 UH, 30-30, 7-08, 223, 308 Survivor
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
crops and stuff drying out here, harvest will be soon, when college football starts we know there will be
snow on the ground by the end of it.
Saw migratory geese heading south a couple weeks ago.

We have areas here where the geese never leave, except if in winter it get below -20 then they have enough sense to move a little further south, anyway when they start flocking whether they leave or not, you know fall is not far.
They started this year in late July.

RR
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
We have areas here where the geese never leave, except if in winter it get below -20 then they have enough sense to move a little further south, anyway when they start flocking whether they leave or not, you know fall is not far.
They started this year in late July.
And this is only early September. Our birds are getting outta here also. Watch the mesquite trees they are never wrong.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 AM

I used to love the high country in the fall. The aspens would turn gold color. Of course the evergreens don't.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Sitting on the patio with a cup of coffee and watching the world wake up is one of my favorite things. I've been wearing a zip up hoodie to do it for the last couple of weeks. Earlier one morning this week and this morning with the wind coming across the patio I didn't last long. Temp ran me in the house to waste time at the computer while I warmed up.

There are no native trees up on the Llano, only those planted by man, so some turn and others just shed their leaves. The mesquite bushes are native and if fall stretches out into late November for the first freeze the leaves turn a sick looking yellow-green color. After a hard freeze they just fall off.

I'm heading to Red River tomorrow morning. I might get to see some colors on the leaves and I may be too late.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
Sitting on the patio with a cup of coffee and watching the world wake up is one of my favorite things. I've been wearing a zip up hoodie to do it for the last couple of weeks. Earlier one morning this week and this morning with the wind coming across the patio I didn't last long. Temp ran me in the house to waste time at the computer while I warmed up.

There are no native trees up on the Llano, only those planted by man, so some turn and others just shed their leaves. The mesquite bushes are native and if fall stretches out into late November for the first freeze the leaves turn a sick looking yellow-green color. After a hard freeze they just fall off.

I'm heading to Red River tomorrow morning. I might get to see some colors on the leaves and I may be too late.
It's beginning to look like we are in for an early, and long hard winter O&S. I'm getting a cord of firewood delivered today before the prices go up. I found a good price on a pecan and cedar mix out of Dexter. Older gentleman with sons who will bring it out and stack it for $ 175.00, and that's an entire cord that should do the trick. $120.00 if I fetch it and do it myself, but my Doctor still says no. I don't think he will ever say yes to anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page