Interesting story on Wyo Guide killed by Griz - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:06 PM

What happened to the practice of the guide carrying a stopping rifle in bear country? For quite a while 458 win mag was popular for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 PM

Laziness and too many issues of Guns & Ammo devoted to pistols.

An old Remington 600 Carbine in .350 MAG shoulda been readily at hand. Or a shortened Remington 7600 pump in 35 Whelen.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:36 PM

Default So this MAN

Stood his ground against a grizzly... Fighting for his life with a knife he was using to gut with .
Yelled loudly to deter this beast buying time for his CLIENT to get away... If we are going to go after anyone I would think it would be the guy that fled the scene while the other was fighting for his life. But hey this guy was getting paid right? It's his job to die protecting the hunter right?
Deployed bear pepper spray...
And some armchair a h.le labels this REAL MAN as what?
I am smelling some disrespect here by someone who has no experience outside of there comfortable armchair... Show some respect or shut Up.

Last edited by land_owner; 11-26-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 PM

It seems that adequate handguns are not so much lighter than a lightweight shotgun...and a 12 ga slug (e.g. Brenneke) is a great stopper.
Seems like an nice old Ithaca featherweight would work well...pending upon the rules..as Lt Dave said.

Some new ones would not cost a fortune either, and certainly adequate for a gun which would expect to use only sparingly..

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...ategory=419591

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 11-25-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add info
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:21 PM

The guide had a good rep in the company he worked for, and was from all accounts a good Father and husband.The lesson I think we should get from this is,Never let your firearm leave your side regardless of the task at hand when in dangerous predator country. Be it the Tetons or Chicago.He made a mistake by not having his 10mm at hand, and this may have cost him his life.Tragic story!

I wonder why the client didn't have his own sidearm as well?

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_hunter View Post
The guide had a good rep in the company he worked for, and was from all accounts a good Father and husband.The lesson I think we should get from this is,Never let your firearm leave your side regardless of the task at hand when in dangerous predator country. Be it the Tetons or Chicago.He made a mistake by not having his 10mm at hand, and this may have cost him his life.Tragic story!

I wonder why the client didn't have his own sidearm as well?
Good advice for those who may be out there regularly... So far as the client not having a sidearm, perhaps he/she was from out of state and didn't have a CC permit, or was from a state whose permits are not recognized there.

Perhaps the president is correct in recommending a single, national CC permit.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Seems more than a few of these incidents have occured during field dressing. Having one guy stand watch who is properly armed should be the SOP. If you hunt alone then caveat emptor. If you hunt with an inexperienced and untrained client then your really hunting alone.

No license is ever required to carry in the National Forest. Even Obama was so afraid of the bears he legalized open carry in the National Parks where previously it was illegal to even posses a firearm. That shocked me when it happened as he was the last fellow I would have thought would do this.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 11-26-2018 at 07:21 AM.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.

How does a Professional Guide, who is routinely in Grizzly country, and repeated subject as a matter of his profession to real threats of Grizzly attacks, "decide" to carry a Glock as his defensive weapon against a Grizzly? And really, who in their right mind would choose that as their weapon???

The choice of the Glock says it all for me. The Guide was flat-out grossly negligent, and totally ignored a manifest risk.

My wife lived on Kodiak Island for four years. Spent alot of time in the woods. She said a 44 Mag Ruger, or a .454 Casull, was the baseline MINIMUM for bear protection. Nobody left home without one.

Mannyrock
I don't know Wyoming laws but in Colorado guides are not permitted to carry a rifle of any caliber legal for big game. One guide I know carried a 22/250 rifle, others carried handguns. A big bore rifle is a fine choice for hunting bear or with which to defend yourself if you have adequate warning but if the bear is on you before you know it a long gun is pretty useless. I guided only one year and I carried my old 1917 S&W in a shoulder rig. I think a 10mm Glock would be a fine choice.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe View Post
I don't know Wyoming laws but in Colorado guides are not permitted to carry a rifle of any caliber legal for big game. One guide I know carried a 22/250 rifle, others carried handguns. A big bore rifle is a fine choice for hunting bear or with which to defend yourself if you have adequate warning but if the bear is on you before you know it a long gun is pretty useless. I guided only one year and I carried my old 1917 S&W in a shoulder rig. I think a 10mm Glock would be a fine choice.
Wow! That is revealing.. I guess they figure guides are dishonest...as well as the clients. If I were togo hunting there, I would want to shoot my own game . If the guide shoots it for me, there can't be any pride or joy in the trophy.

BTW; that makes one wonder what happened to the client's rifle..

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM

Unless I am mistaken I believe the hunter had a bow.

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page