Help Me Figure Out Where to Live - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_hunter View Post
Kentucky is great state for gun owners. The state has a "Castle Doctrine" law and a "shall issue" concealed carry permit system. Kentucky is also very good about honoring concealed carry permits from virtually all other states and over 30 other states recognize concealed carry permits from Kentucky. Kentucky also has a strong culture of hunting and shooting. This is particularly evident in the twice yearly machine gun shoot and gun show at Knob Creek, Kentucky. The event is the largest in the world of its kind and if you've never been, I highly recommend checking it out.

The above was from the site wide open spaces,but I agree. I wish I had settled there before moving to this Liberal stronghold of Oregon.
Texas would have been a great place to live,but with the influx of Californians moving in that will soon change.
The 1919a4 guys talk about Knob Creek. I've never been but they say it's quite the shindig. Chili cook offs
and all kinds of other events. Some folks call it the Sturgis rally of firearms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Having lived and hunted in the deep south and mid south for 30 years before retiring, I can tell you this: Florida, south Alabama, south Carolina, and Mississippi, and the southern third of Tennessee are HOTTER THAN H$LL 5 months per year. Don't move there. They are not moderate climates! And, you can throw in lots of copperheads, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and coral snakes (Fla), plus tons of Brown Recluse Spiders as well!

Heck, they are even finding Alligators in southern Arkansas now!

If this is really going to be your last stand, then moderate four season weather is super important.

If not eastern Kentucky, then the northwestern edge of Arkansas, and central Missouri are fairly moderate as well. Stay away from southeast Missouri, Northeast Arkansas, and the Mississippi delta land of west Tennessee (Memphis and up the river). A super Earthquake risk, as large a the fault in California. (The New Madrid Fault.) It last blew around 1812. Pioneers crossing the plains of Tennessee 50 miles east of it wrote that the land rolled up and down like ocean waves!

Mannyrock
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
Stay away from southeast Missouri, Northeast Arkansas, and the Mississippi delta land of west Tennessee (Memphis and up the river). A super Earthquake risk, as large a the fault in California. (The New Madrid Fault.) It last blew around 1812. Pioneers crossing the plains of Tennessee 50 miles east of it wrote that the land rolled up and down like ocean waves!

Mannyrock
On the earthquake issue in the area you speak of some don't know that when the big one hit the Mississippi river flowed backwards for several days. Creating a waterfowl meca and some great fishing in a place name Reelfoot Lake. Even tho we are around 100 miles east of that area we still carry earthquake insurance on our home. Don't cost but a few dollars a year added to the home owners policy in my area but better safe than sorry I say. We have had some minor ones hit but never had damage of any kind. No pictures falling off the wall type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Hey Everyone, thanks for all the thoughtful responses. Let me responsd to everyone on a few things here, so folks know what I'm about.

I'm originally from Florida, and do prefer less or no snow, LOL! Hot doesn't bother me near as much.

I've also lived or worked in Pa, Nv, Az, Co, Tn, In, and Cali.

So I'm not a true Californian. Though truth be told... were I wealthy, I'd probably make the final stand here (or Hawaii). Despite the BS politics or the state. I'm in the infamous OC, south part of it. Believe it or not the folks here are pretty nice and there's a lot to reccommend this area. When given the chance to work from home I moved back here. Only place in my travels I ever moved back to.

But, cost of living is prohibitive... my job doesn't pay SoCal wages... and every job I've had an interview request that would pay a Cali wage... involved moving to or working in Ca. places that I'd rather avoid. (Think S. Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, etc... Places where a shack costs $1 million or more...)

And... for all I know, if a recession comes... and I move to say Kentucky... they could offshore my work to China and I'd be in a pickle, LOL!

But, need to get somewhere where I can have a life of some sort. I'm in my mid-to-late 50s and ain't getting younger, LOL!

So truth is, I want some space around me, be want access to "civiliation" too.

I know, I know... that's like looking for perfection... probably won't find it.

At the moment still looking west of the Mississippi, at the southwest, west and Pacific Northwest.

But Cali pricing seems to have invaded all those places.

In any event, I really do appreciate all the ideas and thoughtful responses... definitely let me know any thoughts that you get. The whole USA is still on the radar.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:47 AM

We have air conditioners now. That's why people have been moving south for decades. Try living in the north without a furnace five months out of the year. You'll be dead before spring.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Then you already know that Florida used to have some of the finest N-S roads in the country. It used to be: get those tourists in here, release them of their vacation dollars, and get them out again. Then the Florida Dept. Of Transportation had a bad idea and started building E-W roads and the Tourists STAYED in the State, settling mostly in Clearwater and St. Petersburg. After they had established themselves on the West Coast of the State, they went back up north and brought their elderly parents and much more elderly grandparents down and settled them in LAKE WORTH, FL on the East Coast of the State (or so my Dad used to say...hehe).

There were two inventions that predominantly made Florida livable...Conan has named one of them above. Can you name its predecessor?
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 AM

social security?

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Nope. Take another shot GS...
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
Senior discounts? Refrigeration without ice was also a big deal, as were bright white brand-new looking walking shoes made for people over age 70.

When I was a kid, we would go visit older people in Florida. They didn't have air conditioning in their mobile homes then, but they built screen porches and had good fans. I found it to be quite comfortable, and we only went there during summer vacation, usually July and august, so it would have been a hot time of the year. At the time, I was not used to air conditioning either, so that probably made a difference. I remember back then going into an air conditioned store like a Walgreens or another department store, and it was FREEZING in there. Probably 75 degrees, but it felt cold on a 90 degree day.

A lot of elderly people moved from New York to Miami Beach and lived there during the fifties and sixties. I don't think a lot of them had AC at the time. The pattern was that people would work their careers in New York, then retire to Miami to get some time in the sun.

One of the James Bond books, live and let die, is set in St. Petersburg and other places in Florida during the 1950s or late 1940s. It gives a pretty interesting picture of what life was like back then. Quite a change since then.

I feel privileged to have been able to see south Florida before it exploded in population and popularity. Back then it was a resort area for sure, but the population was nothing like what it is now. I've had to go to Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach/Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville for work, and I would not like living there. Too crowded.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 01-02-2019 at 11:34 AM.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post

I will take a shot and say mosquito netting or screens.

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page