Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A686613C-92FB-4E06-95FD-29B833C06A51.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	229040  

History in the making
MAGA
no longer just a political campaign theme/promise.
It is Reality 👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
Here is the FB web site link for Graybeard Outdoors:

https://www.facebook.com/GraybeardOutdoors/
That site belongs to Matt. So no it isn't making any money for VS.

The shirts advertised there were a part of Matt's wife Becky's printing business. She sold that out before they left Texas.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 PM

I believe Thumper was the first to coin this phrase:

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:01 AM

I don't really remember when I joined this site it was in the early 2000's. I use to post some but not a lot on the gun topics as it is all that interests me. I remember once asking Lloyd why there wasn't more posts on the shooting topics and he told me they would pick up when hunting seasons opened up. Well they never did they only declined and I use to check in once in awhile and that was it. In recent years the only heavy traffic on this site is politics and I could care less about politics. I always vote for whoever I like the best and feel is the best candidate for the office. I have always noticed if you don't lock step with the majority you are ridiculed and branded a troll. I will say in my life I have seen more hypocrites that are either self declared conservatives or religious people. I gave up posting years back all together because of these reasons and now in two days have made two posts and they will be my last for who knows how long again.

I will add this, I belong to two hunting, shooting sites where politics are banned and they are very enjoyable sites and I post quite regularly on both. I know I am probably in the minority but that is all right with me.

George
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:12 AM

I belong to another hunting/shooting site...for about as long as I have been with GBO. I enjoy them both, the other one bans such talk as politics, religion etc.
I sometimes visit there when I have a purely gun concern.

Unless I am wrong, the other site has grown very little ..if any.

I visit GBO much more often, primarily because I am not a single issue person. Here on GBO I can talk guns..but then venture into a whole range of topics.

It would seem if a site limits discussion to a single issue, they are limiting their growth...but then perhaps, not all are interested in growth.

Seems a challenge to request shooters not talk politics...when the 2nd amendment and other constitutional issues run so strong in our lives.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 04-07-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:45 AM

I just try to avoid the more confrontational posts and forums just because of the confrontation and concern about how the Boss and the management will perceive what I have posted and there have been times when one of my recent posts has just disappeared; probably for the better rather than to start too much of a problem.

I understand that some things have changed but thought Graybeard owned the site and the forums or had just not thought of it. When it comes to websites and the like I am just really glad for this site and the forums and the opportunity to express myself, albeit somewhat poorly at times.

And I used to be a moderator although I don't know if we even exist anymore. I know that some of the more important people, like the Boss himself and Quicktdo and a few others are most often around and I believe the responsibilities of the moderators remain as before but I sure haven't heard much guidance from anyone lately so I try and not rile things too awful much but I would think that if a post or a thread is really offensive the Boss, Super Moderators, Moderators or someone in a position of importance will manage/delete the post, and the same for trolls.

Otherwise, I just avoid those posts, issues or whatever you want to call them and if you think you've been 'trolled' I believe the management may be able to help you so you don't have to yell in capital letters.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Huh, in all the categories you listed, I've seen nothing but nice.
In a couple of others, things do get heated at times, but a thread can be ignored.
Personally, I never enter a thread started by one of the new trolls, and if I enter a thread where folks are arguing with one of those trolls, I leave and don't go back.

I think most folks do the same.
That's my opinion only, YMMV
That is a good analysis. That's essentially what got me out of here.

My take on it is that two major factors have dropped my participation to near zero:

1) I used to enjoy the politics and a couple of other non-outdoor forums here because there was a group of like minded people that made thoughtful posts, and we were bouncing ideas off of each other. It was worthwhile because I gained new perspectives. Of particular value was that it helped me understand what other people like me think about the issues of the day. Now, the number of such posts has dropped below the critical mass that keeps me engaged.

2) The politics forum lost appeal when it stopped being a forum for exchanging conservative minded ideas and perceptions, and switched to being adversarial exchanges in typical low value political bickering. To put a finer point on it, posts by thoughtful people like NWbear and Guzzi contributed to the mix by adding a more left leaning perspective that was worthy of attention. The trolls (micronuts and calienturd sp?) redefined discourse on that forum so that it now reads like the typical adversarial political hacking found on unmoderated comments in places like Daily Mail and Fox News stories. It serves no constructive purpose. Not as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

I just popped in to take a look this morning, and I'm guessing I haven't made any posts in quite a while. Like somebody else in this thread said about themselves, I used to post quite a bit to keep things interesting, but I don't have time for that anymore. Actually, I do have time for it, but I'd rather do other things.
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
That is a good analysis. That's essentially what got me out of here.

My take on it is that two major factors have dropped my participation to near zero:

1) I used to enjoy the politics and a couple of other non-outdoor forums here because there was a group of like minded people that made thoughtful posts, and we were bouncing ideas off of each other. It was worthwhile because I gained new perspectives. Of particular value was that it helped me understand what other people like me think about the issues of the day. Now, the number of such posts has dropped below the critical mass that keeps me engaged.

2) The politics forum lost appeal when it stopped being a forum for exchanging conservative minded ideas and perceptions, and switched to being adversarial exchanges in typical low value political bickering. To put a finer point on it, posts by thoughtful people like NWbear and Guzzi contributed to the mix by adding a more left leaning perspective that was worthy of attention. The trolls (micronuts and calienturd sp?) redefined discourse on that forum so that it now reads like the typical adversarial political hacking found on unmoderated comments in places like Daily Mail and Fox News stories. It serves no constructive purpose. Not as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

I just popped in to take a look this morning, and I'm guessing I haven't made any posts in quite a while. Like somebody else in this thread said about themselves, I used to post quite a bit to keep things interesting, but I don't have time for that anymore. Actually, I do have time for it, but I'd rather do other things.
Conan I miss your comments

mike
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
The politics forum lost appeal when it stopped being a forum for exchanging conservative minded ideas and perceptions,
I liked you posts too conan but this is where you and some others are a bit mistaken. The politics fourm isn't a republican or conservative forum its a political forum that anyone can post there beliefs on. Yes they should be willing to defend them but they shouldn't expect to be run off.

Same with the religion section. Its a religion section. Not a Christian section and ive seen a few jws, 7 day Adventists and Catholics ran off by the southern white protestant boys club that thinks they run the place. Same guys bash cnn nbc cbs ect for there predudicial bias but turn around and bring the same thing here. If we are truly americans and are willing to fight for our constitutional rights the right to freedom of religion and political beliefs are the foundation of that piece of paper. It insures that people with different beliefs are still considered Americans not trolls.

One thing for sure that ive learned here and id bet nobody can argue is your not changing someones mind by preaching your beliefs to them on here. Most of us here are in our 50s 60s and 70s and have had our beliefs for decades and someone here, especially someone crudely criticizing someone isn't going to do anything but reinforce there belief that there way is a better way.

I said before I though we needed less sections but maybe we actually need more. Maybe a white bible pounding protestant only site and a white conservative southern only site and put a knuckle dragging redneck moderator on each and let them ban and delete anyone stupid enough to go there that dare post anything they don't like. Let them have there own fourm to vent there hate. truth be told in 2 months they be turning on each other and trying to get the moderator kicked off because he deleted one of there posts because it showed him wrong.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 04-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:51 PM

That didn't take long...

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page