454 casull vers 44 mag - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Default 454 casull vers 44 mag

Is their enough difference to merit buying the casull ifn you all ready have the 44 Mag?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcooper View Post
Is their enough difference to merit buying the casull ifn you all ready have the 44 Mag?????
Depends on what you are hunting and how good of a shot you are.

RR
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:50 PM

I've had several .44 mags. I had ONE .454 encore pistol. Still have one .44 SRH. If I can't kill it with a 310 gr cast Lee boolit I probably shouldn't be shooting at it to start with.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 PM

I sold my SW model 629 44 mag 20 years ago and bought a .454. Spent all my free time in griz country and the 44 mag seemed tame to me. Wanted the new Ruger to try out.

Huge mistake. The .454 was twice the recoil and blast. It is fine if downloaded but then it's just a 45 colt+p. Weighed more too.

Traded out of that and I'm sticking with 45 colt and 44 special. Lot more fun to shoot. Plenty of power and easy to shoot accurately.

Still have a .454 handi rifle and that is where this round should be in my opinion: in a rifle.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Depends on what you are hunting and how good of a shot you are.
Haven shot my SBH 44 Mag fer a few years but when I was shooting it I shot bowling pins off the BENCH at a 100 yards and never missed, I bought my SBK back in 1971 and we were good friends never even had to adj the sights, I shoot my cast sized at.231 and load Unique.
And I don't care if you believe me. I'm 81 years old now and don't do much shooting.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the info I aint gona buy one.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:02 PM

If you can find one with a muzzle break it may change your mind. I shot a 4" .500 S&W and it wasn't too bad. But a .45 Colt SRH would be a better choice if you need something that you need to load up.

Tom

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 PM

The stock design of the revolver or pistol is extremely important when you start shooting heavy recoil stuff.

I have shot several .454, several .45 five-shot, .475 linebaugh long, .450 Magnum Express.
The Linebaugh Long in a five shot Linebaugh modified Ruger really gets one attention but if you are ready for it, it really is just moves your arm a bit farther quicker than the other three.
The .450 Mag. Express lifts the revolver a good bit but did not hit your hand as hard.The problem is the cartridges seat on the case mouth and soon they slide pass the seat, so I parked it after a box and one-half.
Of the other two the .45 five-shot snapped the hardest but neither was some thing one could not get used to if one shot it often.

Now I have a Manurhin .357 that I do not like to shoot, genuinely unpleasant even with factory rubberized police stocks. Something in the action now needs fixing. I will sell it as soon as I get the part.
I also have .45 Win. Mag. and .50 AE Grizzlies.
The Win. Mag. is not difficult to shoot if your hand is large enough for the frame.
For the .50 AE I have dozens of handloads that shoot at a little over 1,200 fps, and are not bad at all to shoot, then I got a box of hunting loads, Speer and there was a world of difference.
After two magazines, it broke the wood stock on the left side and split open the skin between my finger and thumb.

RR
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 PM

If its a handgun, 44 magnum; if its a rifle, well then I'd go with a rifle caliber. I have found I prefer the Bisley grip for the 44 magnum, and have used such for IHMSA big bore silhouette to 200 yds. If I lived in bear country, I might get a double action 44 again to carry, but the Ruger single action is ideal for hunting IMO. The 310 Lee is a great bullet!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:35 PM

I used to have a SRH .480 and shoot 400 gr cast from it. I had a 2x Leupold on it and it was scary accurate. I didn't get many shots per pound from that revolver. I have, from owning numerous pistols and revolvers over the years decided that the Ruger SRH was the most comfortable big bore handgun for me to shoot .

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page