I believe a few of you feel this - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
I believe it is an age/mellowing thing. have harvested many deer over the years, but I likely won't hunt them any more. Nothing against hunting..but now I am alone and would never consume a whole deer in a year (I'm not a big meat eater anyway).

I have a grandson who is a very successful hunter and doesn't waste game. I am now in possession of an "old timer's" "lifetime license", which is mailed to me each year. Of course, there are usually "antlerless deer" permits available..
We can sign over those permits, so I sign them over to my grandson...and he doesn't waste them..

Deer season is usually quite cold here, and it seems the cold seeps into this octogenarian frame much quicker than it used to.. I will likely hunt some small game such as woodchucks (groundhogs)...probably using either .22LR or .22 Mag..causing me to stalk..good exercise..
Good post IG.
Groundhog hunting was a favorite of mine when I lived in Illinois, helped the farmers and occasionally ate a young one.
Little ones fry up just like rabbit.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

We had one of the hardest winters on record here in Iowa and I spent more money on shelled corn to feed the deer than I will save at the grocery store by eating venison over beef in 10 years. I hate to see anything suffer and by the middle of February the deer herd where I hunt was suffering. Deep snow and heavy ice made it impossible for them to get to soy beans and corn that the combines left in the fields. They were going into yards and eating the Abortive Arbor bushes. They were hurting bad especially the yearlings. It was just my turn to give back to the herd that has been feeding my family for 40 years. We hardly buy beef as where I am located I get a bow tag, a gun tag and usually 3 or 4 depredation tags to help keep the deer numbers in check. I have a farmer friend that lives next to a nature preserve and the deer decimate his crops. He gets 20-30 depredation tags annually and I can have as many as I want. I only take what we can eat and when my 4 kids were teenagers were at home 1 deer didn't last as long as some of the TV shows make you think they last. They grew up eating venison and still raid the freezer when they come home.

We made a trip to Des Moines towards the end of February and there were 36 dead deer either in the median or on the shoulder of Interstate 80 in that 53 mile stretch. That is 36 deer that went to waste that could have been consumed. I can't feel bad about putting 4 or 5 in my freezer each year. At the same time I am thankful for everyone that I kill. I pick the bones clean and we don't waste any.

I am at the point where the grandkids are starting to hunt so I let them fill tags as well but we stop when we get all that we can eat even if it means letting tags go unfilled.

The bottom line I have no remorse in cleanly harvesting deer for table fair! Probably never will as it's been a way of my way of life since I was a kid.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Be 70 end of April and don"t think I will live long enough to not hunt ,at least I hope so . And tonite beaver is on the menu ,I trap too and need new mittens for next deer season/Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikshooter View Post
Be 70 end of April and don"t think I will live long enough to not hunt ,at least I hope so . And tonite beaver is on the menu ,I trap too and need new mittens for next deer season/Ed
+1. Iíll be 63 in August and plan to hunt as long as I can. I do not enjoy the killing and butchering but I like to eat protein. I eat my own beef, chicken, & eggs. I kill deer, squirrel, rabbit, quail, dove, & the occasional turkey to provide variety to my diet. My deer enjoy good lives in a quiet secluded place with plenty of good water and browse I provide supplemental minerals and feed in bad winters. They are killed as ethically as I know how.

What the Rons said.
Ron Swanson & Ron Burgundy
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

Not done hunting but I am changing where I hunt due to the hurt we’ve put on the elk herd where I’ve hunted for over 20 years

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/can-v...-talk-decline/
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
+1. Iíll be 63 in August and plan to hunt as long as I can. I do not enjoy the killing and butchering but I like to eat protein. I eat my own beef, chicken, & eggs. I kill deer, squirrel, rabbit, quail, dove, & the occasional turkey to provide variety to my diet. My deer enjoy good lives in a quiet secluded place with plenty of good water and browse I provide supplemental minerals and feed in bad winters. They are killed as ethically as I know how.
I don't like the butchering either! A couple of years ago a local guy I call Dooney asked me if I wanted any deer as his group had several hunters that just wanted to hunt but didn't want the deer. I told him that it wouldn't go to waste. I came home from church on Sunday morning and their were 4 big does and a fork horn piled in front of the garage. I didn't get to watch the Vikings that afternoon and I missed my bed time by a few hours. They all had legal tags on them and that was my only stipulation. When the kids came home at Christmas they all brought coolers with them. A fella can learn to hate butchering deer in a hurry at that rate. I have since put a limit of two deer on what I will take and have found other folk who are willing to butcher an extra deer for their freezer.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:51 AM

I still deer hunt and I'm really thankful to put a deer in the freezer. Just the wife and I now so one deer is enough, and even though most years I could legally take one or two more I don't. If I have one deer and still have a legal tag left I will usually "hunt" some more, but am not seriously looking to add to the freezer - the "hunt" then becomes more of just time in the woods exploring and enjoying being out there. But, occasionally I do take a second deer if the perfect opportunity arises.

One reason I think a lot of people have quit hunting is the loss of their hunting partner or group. For me at least a big part of the deer hunting experience was the once a year deer camp with friends. Members of our group have either died, been forced to quit due to medical or other family reasons, or just decided it was easier on the old bones just to sit inside where it's warm and dry or go south for the winter.

So I still look forward to deer season, but without quite the same level of excitement I used to.

And grouse are a lot easier to carry out of the woods!
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 PM

I have some real problems with some of the younger generations. Our state is finding less hunting licenses being purchased along with fewer showing up for hunter training sessions .
A local "help the more needy" Christian youthministry, which builds ramps, fixes windows, plumbing etc. for older or handicapped folks, is having problems getting the youth to participate, where 8-10 years ago there were plenty of young volunteers.

Sorry, but I blame the new technology for much of the problem in most instances. Just look about, see how many are walking around with their phone in their hand!

They can't seem to put it down long enough to simply put it in their pocket !

They can't leave it alone when dining out..they can't walk down the street without becoming engrossed in their little 2.5" X 4" screen.

It doesn't look good....

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Some of you guys would like the Antelope hunt. My cousin calls it the old codger hunt lol.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:32 PM

David, I liked antelope meat when I was living in NM. Of course I liked elk and mule deer too. I even like height mountain black bear meat that has not been eating out of garbage cans. And I agree with you that usually mule deer is not as tasty as antelope meat.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page