I believe a few of you feel this - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

One reason I think a lot of people have quit hunting is the loss of their hunting partner or group. For me at least a big part of the deer hunting experience was the once a year deer camp with friends. Members of our group have either died, been forced to quit due to medical or other family reasons, or just decided it was easier on the old bones just to sit inside where it's warm and dry or go south for the winter.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

My oldest brother was my hunting buddy, and is now deceased.
If he were alive and able, I'd go hunting with him.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
David, I liked antelope meat when I was living in NM. Of course I liked elk and mule deer too. I even like height mountain black bear meat that has not been eating out of garbage cans. And I agree with you that usually mule deer is not as tasty as antelope meat.
I have eaten antelope twice. My cousin went west and brought back an antelope, he gave me some chops and they tasted like creosote. A friend of mine went west and shot one and a bunch of us guys had a fry and it was delicious. The best wild game I have had: moose, snapping turtle and frog legs.

mike
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
I have eaten antelope twice. My cousin went west and brought back an antelope, he gave me some chops and they tasted like creosote. A friend of mine went west and shot one and a bunch of us guys had a fry and it was delicious. The best wild game I have had: moose, snapping turtle and frog legs.

mike
Mmmmmmm, frog legs.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post

mike
The taste of wild game depends on what their feeding on. A lot of western mule deer eat sage brush and I don’t care for that taste. Frog legs are usually good as are most turtles. My favorite fish is grouper here in Florida. Halibut in Alaska or salmon.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:55 PM

I like to hunt deer but I have become more selective. Bucks have to have a nice rack. If I just want meat a doe is better and we have alot of does. Hope I never give it up.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:14 AM

I gave up hunting for a few years after my last deployment, I'd gone hunting one day and just didn't have it in me to pull the trigger. But then, just like that I decided that hunting was not the same thing, and I just needed to get back out in the woods. My first deer, I gave it thanks and proceeded to process it, been hunting every year since. I don't hunt antlers, I usually take one doe for me, and one or two for guys that don't hunt but enjoy venison. I'll take a buck of course, but I'm not disappointed with a spike or better; if it's for me, I like them medium size, if it's for the guys, the bigger the better to make it worth the processing fee. I've always looked at hunting as a way to get venison, when I was younger, I'd hunt them hard and fill my 5 tags almost every year, now, I hunt comfortably in my permanent stand, if I harvest one, great, if not, I still enjoy the peace and quiet.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 AM

i can see a day when I wouldn't hunt. Everyone gets old and just cant do it eventually and I understand that. I guess even I have changed. I used to hunt hard all season and pass on many deer looking for that big rack but one day realized ive got enough of them on the wall and what I was really out there for was the venison. It makes deer season even more enjoyable to me. Not stress. No competition with the other guys at camp. I go out and my routine is I pass on anything smaller then an 8 opening day and the second day if its brown its down. I get it done then relax at camp and do the cooking. Since ive done crop damage its changed again. I hunt the first 2 days casually. I get out in the woods when I get out in the woods not a 4am. If a nice buck comes in so be it but for the last 3 seasons I haven't shot a buck. Ive already filled the freezers and don't see a need to kill another doe.

Last year I spent a whole 7 hours hunting. But if I didn't do crop control shooting id be trying to fill my tags because I believe deer are there to feed us. Just like my father, grandfather and great grandfather did. I like to kill my own meat butcher it and avoid the crap in the store as much as I can. Its funny to me how some react to deer. There meat to me not some cute cuddly pet. I have had guys bash me on here for killing 30 or 40 deer in a year and turn around in a post 6 months later saying they kill every pig they see and even shoot them and let them run off and die. One thing I NEVER do is kill to kill. When I pull the trigger im committed. Ive spend a few all night trackings session to find a doe when there was already 5 in the pickup. That is probably whats going to be the final nail in my hunting. Crawling around the swamp all night with this wore out body is getting pretty tough. It will be tough for me. My whole life has been wrapped up in guns loading casting and hunting. My Dad turned 87 this year and says that this year he just cant do it. Mostly because he has to stay home and take care of mom. Id about be a dime to a thousand bucks he shows up at camp the night before opening day if hes still above the ground. His dad was the same and its in my dna.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:26 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

My favorite hunt these days is going back to my roots. I have a little one room 16ft by 10ft hunting cabin sitting in the midst of my timber. It has a small wood stove, a couple of lanterns and a cot. Some Fridays in the fall and early winter I grab my stuff and my dog and head for the cabin. As every day for 20 years I am wide awake by 5:30 AM. I make some coffee eat a couple granola bars and watch the woods come to life. I spend my day squirrel hunting with my little Remington 514 single shot that I have had since I was a boy. I might even lay down and take a nap in the woods if I find a sunny spot and the notion hits me. Roy is content to sit next to me with his his head on a swivel looking for squirrels. He knows the game well and is getting better at it all the time. Come dusk I build a fire, cook squirrel on a stick, shake a little salt on it and chow down. We sit by the fire staring into it until we get tired and then put the fire out and head home for a shower and my good bed. I used to be able to take a whole weeks vacation and do that but these days it's a day at a time. That cot isn't as user friendly as it use to be!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
I gave up hunting for a few years after my last deployment, I'd gone hunting one day and just didn't have it in me to pull the trigger. But then, just like that I decided that hunting was not the same thing, and I just needed to get back out in the woods. My first deer, I gave it thanks and proceeded to process it, been hunting every year since. I don't hunt antlers, I usually take one doe for me, and one or two for guys that don't hunt but enjoy venison. I'll take a buck of course, but I'm not disappointed with a spike or better; if it's for me, I like them medium size, if it's for the guys, the bigger the better to make it worth the processing fee. I've always looked at hunting as a way to get venison, when I was younger, I'd hunt them hard and fill my 5 tags almost every year, now, I hunt comfortably in my permanent stand, if I harvest one, great, if not, I still enjoy the peace and quiet.
You spoke of your last deployment.. Has your time in a combat zone changed how you look at hunting ?

For myself for instance...folks don't seem to understand why I won't even step outside to watch fireworks..

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
David, I liked antelope meat when I was living in NM. Of course I liked elk and mule deer too. I even like height mountain black bear meat that has not been eating out of garbage cans. And I agree with you that usually mule deer is not as tasty as antelope meat.
A few years back the Antelope herds grew so large that the State wildlife and the Ranchers wanted hunters
to hunt them. They are not indigenous to NM, and were brought in a few decades ago from Africa.
One problem with them is that they are able to jump over fences and cattle guards then they end up on
the roads.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page