I believe a few of you feel this - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:44 AM

They are smart enough to keep thier distance. So they are long range targets. One trick is you check out how they migrate around. Get some camo and bed down in a low spot and wait for them. Or do that near a cattle pond when the cattle aren't around. Some ranchers gather up their herds during the season.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-12-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:15 AM

If your talking about African antelope at white sands and the Florida’s then I haven’t hunted them. I hunted American antelope they range all over the western planes states. And are native to NM too.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
You spoke of your last deployment.. Has your time in a combat zone changed how you look at hunting ?

For myself for instance...folks don't seem to understand why I won't even step outside to watch fireworks..
Yes, for a bit. I was out in the woods, a nice buck came out into the field; I scoped him and I just couldn't do it. It took about three years for me to get back out there, after I took the shot, I sat there for a bit to get myself together. Fireworks didn't get to me, I guess I was so acclimated to stuff blowing up. Well, I did have one issue once, but I had just come home the day before (3 July) from SERE school and the Star Spangled Banner with fireworks got to me, I was sitting there in the dark with tears in my eyes.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
Yes, for a bit. I was out in the woods, a nice buck came out into the field; I scoped him and I just couldn't do it. It took about three years for me to get back out there, after I took the shot, I sat there for a bit to get myself together. Fireworks didn't get to me, I guess I was so acclimated to stuff blowing up. Well, I did have one issue once, but I had just come home the day before (3 July) from SERE school and the Star Spangled Banner with fireworks got to me, I was sitting there in the dark with tears in my eyes.
Fireworks don't startle me or get me up tight; I guess boring is the correct word.

Keep on, keeping on..time will help. Meanwhile, thank you for your service !

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:12 PM

Gun Cabinet

I've waited for the time the young bucks at deer camp could fill the tags, drag 'em out, and cut 'em up. I could just be camp cook and give sage advise. I don't see this happening any time soon. I think these young folks watch to many hunting shows, they drag so much gear into the woods they sound like a marching band going in. Spray their cloths with this stuff, shower with that stuff, have a little bottle of talc to see which way the wind blows, grunt calls, heated coats, ect. Now the sage advise I give them- buy a good set of hunting boots, a dependable rifle (45-70) and sit down and shut up till your froze to death, then get up and walk slowly in "buck" country. Every year I make them venison care packages out of the 2 I kill so they can taste what they're hunting for. I don't feel the need to kill another buck but I like venison so until someone kills them for me I hunt. I will be at deer camp one way or the other so long as ground is under me not over me.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

I like my venison jerky. I will turn a deer into jerky faster than lightning and when it comes off the dehydrator all of my liberal co-workers immediately stick their hands out...go figure. Blue becomes Red with venison jerky. They drop their faux pretense of "Bambi" but have all learned that something for nothing is not the conservative way and venison jerky is a "currency" of considerable value that will not be parted with lightly.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
If your talking about African antelope at white sands and the Florida’s then I haven’t hunted them. I hunted American antelope they range all over the western planes states. And are native to NM too.
Those aren't as big as the Africans are. But they taste about the same.

https://www.nps.gov/whsa/learn/nature/african-oryx.htm

I've never seen any that were that big. 300 pounds max and they have migrated out of the park.
Farther south and even into Texas. The NM Antelope like it out on the Caprock.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-13-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page