Graybeard Outdoors banner

I hate coyotes with a passion!

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  goodshot 
#1 ·
I've been wandering for a few days and haven't looked at a computer.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I have been waging war on a certain pack of coyotes that have a fancy for a local farmers lambs. Last Friday evening I made a nice 300 yard straight away running shot on a big male coyote with my lil 7 (7mm-08/120 Hornady). Then Sunday morning I sloberknocked another one with a load of Rottweil 00buck out of my 12 gauge just as the sky was turning pink in the east. He was late to breakfast and I was ready. The sheep let me know he was coming. However a mighty coyote hunter I am not! I missed the easiest shot in the world last night at one hundred yards and he was just trotting. Missed him three times. Dang he was the big dark en that I got figured for the alpha male. Sure would have been nice to have culled him out of the pack.

I have a surprise for them this weekend! Coyotes come on the run if they see buzzards circling and the witches brew is fermenting as we speak. I know it's a rough job but someone has to do it...right?

#3 ·
Are they Armenian Coyotes? They seem to have a particular taste for lamb, especially during the Spring when the Ewes are birthing. It could be a 'silence of the lamb' thing, ya know. You're not eliminating any specific ethnic group are you? Have they been stealing the farmer's baklava? If they go for his pilaf, in addition to the new Spring lamb, I would say blast away but if you wind up with a Turk in sheep's clothing he's probably only half Armenian. Just sayin'.......

#4 ·
We've seen them on the Trail Cameras and have had only one on the ground in the last five years. They won't show themselves in daylight on my tiny parcel of real estate between monstrously HUGH parcels of State owned land. Bears too have been working the local wildlife populations. I don't know which is worse. Bears are protected and not hunted. They all have to eat something. No sheep or domestic livestock here though.

#8 ·
So many coyotes so little time! I hate them with a passion and with good reason. Back in the mid 90s a pack of them killed my old faithful hunting buddy Ruger. I am almost certain that it was a pac of adolescent litter mates who were by that time 10 -11 months old and full grown and out killing just for fun. I hunt them hard this time of year because the bitches have whelped and have a litter of pups in a hole somewhere. If I can catch that momma coyote out hunting I will kill her every time. It eliminates the litter too. Sounds cruel but nobody considers the mouse or rat that is caught in a trap might have a litter of offspring somewhere nor do we care. I view coyotes the same way.......only they are bigger and smarter!

#10 ·
canine latrans is a part

of daily life here but fortunately, my acreage is fenced all around and we have had no problems with them attempting to invade our space or to take any of our livestock (the very little we have)

I have no beef with those that cull them as a necessity to defend their livestock, or even those that hunt them for 'sport' (if hunted legally)

in most areas they are far from being endangered.

Wyllie is simply, like every other creature, trying to make a living and often times steps over boundaries we perceive as bad but he sees only a source of food.

I've actually had more problems with feral dogs than Wyllie and have had to dispatch them...:tango_face_sad:

#13 ·
It is true that coyotes will kill the fox or run them off. I won't shoot a fox if I see one these days as they are few and far between...thanks to the coyotes.

I walked almost 300 miles last year during pheasant season..so says my fit-bit. I take lots of notes in regards to coyotes while bird hunting. It pays off!

#14 ·
My friend has Walker hounds. They will run a coyote for hours, much to our disappointment as we’re after other game.

I mess up sometimes. The 1st thing I have to do is make sure I’m not shooting someone’s dog and when the brains says “Coyote!!” I may have missed the best opportunity.

#15 ·
I live in a sub-division about a mile from town surrounded by farm fields and woods with a small river running through the property. A neighbor put a puppy in a small out building and it cried and cried. That puppy called in a coyote and it was running right down the road in the middle of the sub-division. In southern Michigan we have lots of coyotes.

mike

#16 ·
I look at them as another of God's creatures doing what they were designed to do. God designed them to eat meat and made them very efficient at it and didn't make them choosy about what form it came in. I don't love them but don't hate them either. I kind of admire them for their ability to be able to survive and proliferate in the modern world unlike a lot of animals. They have earned the name Wiley.

#18 ·
Well I was out at the lambing farmstead last night at 10 PM and could hear two different dens of pups yapping at the full moon. This afternoon I'm taking Roy, My son's Drahthaar (Maggie) a 12 gauge and a dirt digging shovel and we are going to a little eradicating of them little yappers.

Oldandslow, I admire a spider as he spins his web but if he gets in bed with me the admiration is gone. When I'm deer hunting I get a kick out of watching the field mice playing around an old stump or hollow log but if they come in the house and put Roy's Purina Pro Plan in my shoes for storage then I'm no longer amused. I suppose there is a place for coyotes.....just not around here and especially not ones that chew barn boards off so that hey can kill lambs. I put a partition between the barn board hole and the lambs and stuck a 220 Conibear over the hole. Come and get em Wiley!

#20 · (Edited)
Well I was out at the lambing farmstead last night at 10 PM and could hear two different dens of pups yapping at the full moon. This afternoon I'm taking Roy, My son's Drahthaar (Maggie) a 12 gauge and a dirt digging shovel and we are going to a little eradicating of them little yappers.

Oldandslow, I admire a spider as he spins his web but if he gets in bed with me the admiration is gone. When I'm deer hunting I get a kick out of watching the field mice playing around an old stump or hollow log but if they come in the house and put Roy's Purina Pro Plan in my shoes for storage then I'm no longer amused. I suppose there is a place for coyotes.....just not around here and especially not ones that chew barn boards off so that hey can kill lambs. I put a partition between the barn board hole and the lambs and stuck a 220 Conibear over the hole. Come and get em Wiley!

I didn't say I was against killing them, especially when they are killing your domestic animals. I've been know to hunt them now and again. One thing seems certain about coyotes. They won't ever become endangered so we can fire away at them to our hearts content.

I don't know how it is in yours state but here we have coyotes everywhere and much of the place is state land. Coyotes are an unprotected animal but it's illegal to hunt them on state land unless there is hunting season open and you have a valid license for the species the hunt is for. A trappers license doesn't allow you to hunt coyotes. The state hires coyote control officers and I was told by a rancher that they are charged a coyote control tax. I will never understand how government thinks except to say that most of the time I believe they don't think at all. The federal government is a little smarter when it comes to coyotes. You can hunt them on BLM land and I suppose other federal administered lands but I haven't checked to be sure.

#19 · (Edited)
We had a lot of problems with coyotes out at the sub station. They were digging under the fences chasing bunnies. It must have been a couple of them the county caught in some taps. After that we didn't have anymore trouble out of them.

Urenco had a lot of the same problems. There are a lot of Europeans who work at that plant. Who thought
the yotes were just some nice desert critter and they tried to feed them. And they got bit! So Urenco put
up a sign at the main gate. Saying coyotes are a wild animal. Do not attempt any contact with them that
is an unsafe act. And we do not engage in unsafe acts. Duhhh lol.

#23 ·
The Conibear got a nice male coyote and my 223 got another one over the weekend.

The real difference maker is soon to happen. The farmer bought a three year old Great Pyrenees that has been a sheep guard dog for the last year. That takes the pressure off of me. I have removed 3 yotes from how many ever packs are involved but in doing so they have been educated a bunch. That dog can smell and hear stuff that this old duffer is oblivious to even while sitting on watch wide awake! Besides it's about time to do a garden and catch some fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.