Is Cub Cadet Riding Lawn mowers Any Good ? - Page 6 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I just got rid of a Craftsman(Husqvarna) T3000 with the RS800 CVT transaxle, it worked fine on flat ground, but would smoke the drive belt sometimes on my hills, it also was a PITA due to clippings and leaves getting under the Variator which eliminated neutral, not fun, seems like I was working on it more than I was mowing with it! After doing a lot of research, I bought a heavy duty Husky TS348D, 48" deck, Kohler 24hp KT735 with a Tuff Torq K66 transaxle with electric locking diff, has 1" axles instead of the light duty " yard tractor axles on the light duty K46. So far I'm impressed, it mulches really good and leaves the lawn looking the best I've seen it in the 35yrs I've lived here, doesn't matter if the lawn is damp or dry, no clumping at all, it just works good.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
I just got rid of a Craftsman(Husqvarna) T3000 with the RS800 CVT transaxle, it worked fine on flat ground, but would smoke the drive belt sometimes on my hills, it also was a PITA due to clippings and leaves getting under the Variator which eliminated neutral, not fun, seems like I was working on it more than I was mowing with it! After doing a lot of research, I bought a heavy duty Husky TS348D, 48" deck, Kohler 24hp KT735 with a Tuff Torq K66 transaxle with electric locking diff, has 1" axles instead of the light duty " yard tractor axles on the light duty K46. So far I'm impressed, it mulches really good and leaves the lawn looking the best I've seen it in the 35yrs I've lived here, doesn't matter if the lawn is damp or dry, no clumping at all, it just works good.

Tim
You picked well..it is a rare mower that doesn't get clumping with wet grass..

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:17 AM

Story went that when he took the farm over from his dad there two tractors were very tired so he went out and bought two brand new john deers. Had nothing but trouble with them and nothing but a run around from John deer. Now that was probably 30 years ago but that bad taste is still in his mouth. He said those two tractors pert near caused him to loose his farm. Had to borrow equipment from other farms in the area to harvest that year. Don't know if the bad taste make his say this too but he said they were both total pos tractors and when they were paid off he got rid of them as fast as he could. Said one good thing about them is theres a lot of people that don't know better that think there really getting something when they buy one so he got good money for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
..Funny how that brand loyalty goes ! I have a second cousin who runs about 6,000 acres in cash crop around this area. He runs nothing but John Deere.

Then there are others who swear by IH or New Holland.

A friend of mine, who runs machinery for that 2nd cousin, was running one of the combines last fall..suddenly got a call on his phone. John Deere, Moline calling.. "shut your machine down right now, you have a belt broken"!

He shut down..sure enough, he had a broken belt..but didn't detect it immediately, because it was one of a matched pair..so the remaining belt was doing the job OK.

He tells me tha repair manuals are on DVDs now, and JD won't let the farmers have them for their shop.

Do other brands do this?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 AM

I cut the grass at our local American Legion post, which was suddenly enlarged about 5 years ago, when we got an unheard of deal on some acreage (about 5 acres) to post add to our post.

We built a BBQ and shelter and have the acreage for special events...but that acreage has to be mowed.

I operate the Kubota zero-turn mower, which has about a 5 ft cut, with a diesel engine..sweet unit !

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:28 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
sincere question with no criticism :

how do you tear up a mower deck ?
i see many lawn tractors and ag tractor shredders with the deck gilflirted.
do folks run over stuff they're not supposed to ?
( mowers and shredders are for grass and weeds and
brushy weeds stems only- no rocks or stumps or stobs or saplings or kids toys)
i can sorta understand the blade spindles or quills, and maybe the
blades every few years.
It's not a city yard and there are 7 acres of it! The lane it's self is 1/2 mile long with fence posts down both sides and I mow it close. The deck fits under the barb wire and I have to swing out around every post while leaning over the off tire because I'm on a 30 degree slope. Yup I have caught the deck on a post a bunch of times. I also mow around 89 trees. Quite often I have a 13 or 14 year old on the tractor while I am picking up limbs ahead of them or running a chainsaw. If you saw the place that I mow you would fully understand! Besides the deck on a MTD mower IS the weak point!
post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
I operate the Kubota zero-turn mower, which has about a 5 ft cut, with a diesel engine..sweet unit !

Sounds like a HD commercial model. Good stuff. Like the diesel! My neighbor has a new Kubota gas zero turn. He loves it though the ROPS system messed him up when he went under a low branch for the 1st time. Whoops...

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
It's not a city yard and there are 7 acres of it! The lane it's self is 1/2 mile long with fence posts down both sides and I mow it close. The deck fits under the barb wire and I have to swing out around every post while leaning over the off tire because I'm on a 30 degree slope. Yup I have caught the deck on a post a bunch of times. I also mow around 89 trees. Quite often I have a 13 or 14 year old on the tractor while I am picking up limbs ahead of them or running a chainsaw. If you saw the place that I mow you would fully understand! Besides the deck on a MTD mower IS the weak point!

GPA. Similar experience. Dodging fence posts, operating on steep slopes (previous owner rolled his mower) and less then pristine conditions The wide deck can be detrimental around gullies and the like. The easiest way I found to extend the life of the deck was to mow before the wife got a chance.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by va rifleman View Post
GPA. The easiest way I found to extend the life of the deck was to mow before the wife got a chance.
Boy,you said mouth full there. We use the same mower at our house which is in town! My wife thinks that we need to keep up with the Jones' next door and keep the grass between 2 and 3 inches at all time. I'm a farm boy and don't see it that way. So she gets on it and rams and tears all over the yard leaving me with landscaping blocks to reset, downspouts to unflatten. Last year I put a 2 ft high chicken wire fence around my garden to keep the rabbits out and some how my wife zigged when she should have zagged and ended up with a bunch of that chicken wire all wrapped up under the mower. Now my wife is the mother of my 4 kids, is one heck of a cook and still turns heads at her age(me not so much). So I just kept my big mouth shut and laid on my back with those side cutters for an hour and whittled away at the chicken wire!
post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Here's some mower facts...

Most is not all the lower end mowers are now throwaways, the hydro's are sealed and the mowers have more bushings in them then bearings.

Most brands today use the same brand of hydro, but there are several levels of strength/quality of those hydro's, If the rear "wheels" aren't bolted on like a car, the hydro's is NOT a stronger higher quality hydro no matter what brand it's on.

Kohler, B&S ect. all are now having their motors "that go into these cheaper lawn tractors" made in china! Yes, even Kohler... All of the china builds seem about equal these days...

Cub Cadet, like most brands today aren't what they use to be! I would rank Husqvarna higher quality, better built mower and if you would go up the scale a bit more, I'd buy a John Deere instead.

Today, high quality lawn tractors that are built to last cost REAL money, like over 5k real money!

Lastly, I call BS on 13,000 hours on a lawn tractor, I mean unless you have an accurate hr meter on it for proof, it's nothing but a wild guess!

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling Man View Post
Here's some mower facts...

Most is not all the lower end mowers are now throwaways, the hydro's are sealed and the mowers have more bushings in them then bearings.

Most brands today use the same brand of hydro, but there are several levels of strength/quality of those hydro's, If the rear "wheels" aren't bolted on like a car, the hydro's is NOT a stronger higher quality hydro no matter what brand it's on.

Kohler, B&S ect. all are now having their motors "that go into these cheaper lawn tractors" made in china! Yes, even Kohler... All of the china builds seem about equal these days...

Cub Cadet, like most brands today aren't what they use to be! I would rank Husqvarna higher quality, better built mower and if you would go up the scale a bit more, I'd buy a John Deere instead.

Today, high quality lawn tractors that are built to last cost REAL money, like over 5k real money!

Lastly, I call BS on 13,000 hours on a lawn tractor, I mean unless you have an accurate hr meter on it for proof, it's nothing but a wild guess!

DM

Seems like a lot of hours most meters have tenths of an hour on them. 1300.0 would still be a lot of hours. Kohler engines at one time were designed to run 1000 hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page