Home place - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Default Home place

Kind of a sad post for me. This is from my home place where I grew up. (property has not been in the family for years) The house picture was taken in the early 1900s and still stands although my uncle's family lived in it and us in a more modern ranch. The farm place had three big barns. The "horse" barn was tore down years ago. The picture with the felled barn was the "cow" barn and fell in about eight months ago. The other picture is the still standing "grainry" barn and a silo. Have a lot of memories from those barns.
GuzziJohn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00465.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	768.3 KB
ID:	230696  

Name:	DSC01096.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	925.7 KB
ID:	230698  

Name:	DSC01097.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	828.2 KB
ID:	230700  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM

It is indeed sad to see some of the old, historic "homesteads" disappearing. The farm we had when I was a teenager has been in regular, productive use until about 10 years ago, but has suffered from neglect since then.

Recently it was sold off in "pieces'..it seems like a pieces of one's life disappearing.

Being an old silo builder, I had to notice the silo..guessing a 20'X50', top 5 courses added later..also bottom 3 courses recoated with concrete mix, due to acidic seepage. Am I anywhere close?

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 05-21-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

From IG:
Quote:
Being an old silo builder, I had to notice the silo..guessing a 20'X50', top 5 courses added later..also bottom 3 courses recoated with concrete mix, due to acidic seepage. Am I anywhere close?
I would say close. Size was actually 16x50 and hidden directly behind it is a 14x50. A mile north where I live now I still have a 18x50.
GuzziJohn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziJohn1 View Post
From IG:

I would say close. Size was actually 16x50 and hidden directly behind it is a 14x50. A mile north where I live now I still have a 18x50.
GuzziJohn
A few years ago, I would have gotten it correct the first time..

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

The history of why the farm languished would be a good story. In their time, it took a good deal of money to construct all of those amenities. The farm must have either been making money or your forefathers were independently wealthy. It is my impression that families do not squander wealth, so something changed (and radically) for all to go into disrepair. No long term return on investment is a killer of dreams.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

From land_owner:
Quote:
The history of why the farm languished would be a good story. In their time, it took a good deal of money to construct all of those amenities. The farm must have either been making money or your forefathers were independently wealthy. It is my impression that families do not squander wealth, so something changed (and radically) for all to go into disrepair. No long term return on investment is a killer of dreams.
In our case it was a well run farm. My father was second generation and he and his brother farmed together. My uncle had one son that was not interested in farming and being adopted by older parents my father had already retired when I might of been old enough but I really wasn't interested in farming either. Non-farmers bought the place, that is why the farm buildings went downhill.
GuzziJohn
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM

I have a second cousin who built up an agricultural operation from a small dairy farm my cousin (his dad) left to him.

He has John Deere equipment (except for his old classic tractor collection), which includes some of the largest tractors and combines..and runs several thousand acres of cash crop farming. He has tall bins for storing grain to hold for opportune markets, one bin supposedly the largest in the state.

..But here is the kicker..none of his kids are interested in farming... The business will not likely disappear, but will likely change hands.

I have another friend who and operates an old, well established funeral home is getting ready to retire...but neither of his kids are interested.. You can't force them to like it !

Below..like Brian's tractors..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jd.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	230746  

Last edited by ironglow; 05-22-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

When I was 14 years old we built a new barn on grandpa's farm. It was the biggest barn in Chickasaw County. There was the big barn, the grainery, the corn crib, the hog house, the farrowing house, grandma's chicken coop, the sheep shed, the wood shed, the machine shed and the old three bedroom two story house. I can vividly see that farmstead in my mind in detail. I remember where the anvil sat in the machine shed, I remember where the scoop shovels and pitchforks hung in the various buildings. I knew where to go if I needed twine string or a gunny sack. I remember the white fence that ran from the new barn to the chicken coop. I remember the big corn cob piles that were left after we shelled corn. I remember every tree on the place. It was my life for 18 years.

I was back home in Charles City this past weekend for a graduation. My brother asked me if I wanted to drive out to the farm to see it as the only thing left standing was that big barn. The rest had all been bull dozed into a hole and burnt. I declined his offer. I didn't want the new image to interfere with the one that has been in my head all of these years. I got sort of a hollow feeling in my stomach from him just telling me. I guess I'll just keep reliving my old memories so as to keep them current as I sure don't want to taint them with the image that we call progress.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Speaking if modern farming equipment, my farmer harvesting wheat on our property last summer.

GuzziJohn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0291.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	230748  

Name:	DSCN0296.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	663.7 KB
ID:	230750  

Name:	DSCN0307.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	230752  

Name:	DSCN0310.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	844.4 KB
ID:	230754  

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Don, a friend of mine who works for Brian, was running a combine which looks like that one.

He was going along fine, when he got a call (I don't know if it was phone or computer)..

Anyway the call was from JD in Moline, IL.. The caller insisted that he shut down RIGHT NOW!

The caller further said, "you have a broken drive belt!"..and told him which belt was broken..

Seems it was one of a 'matched pair', so Don didn't even realize it was broken..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page