Took the solar plunge - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

From kc34:
Quote:
Does your system have battery storage or does it just dump excess solar power back into the power grid?
What kind of credit do you get for your generated solar power from the power company?
Electric companies in KS are not required to buy excess from you but ours gives you credit. Example, if I produce more energy than I use on Monday, but have a cloudy day on Tuesday and use more than I produce my excess from Monday can be used. Bad news is that the credit thing starts over at the beginning of the month and you will loose any excess that you may have.
Have taken all that into consideration when figuring my return.
It is not advantages here to get more than size just to produce more excess electricity.
I will not have a battery storage system. That takes significant extra bucks, room and is maintenance intensive.
GuzziJohn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziJohn1 View Post
From kc34:

Electric companies in KS are not required to buy excess from you but ours gives you credit. Example, if I produce more energy than I use on Monday, but have a cloudy day on Tuesday and use more than I produce my excess from Monday can be used. Bad news is that the credit thing starts over at the beginning of the month and you will loose any excess that you may have.
Have taken all that into consideration when figuring my return.
It is not advantages here to get more than size just to produce more excess electricity.
I will not have a battery storage system. That takes significant extra bucks, room and is maintenance intensive.
GuzziJohn

I think it is the same up here as far as how the monthly power credit works.

Yes, batteries in the system certainly complicates things and makes it much more expensive and unless you are off-grid there isn't really much point at this stage.

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV, 25-06 UH, 30-30, 7-08, 223, 308 Survivor
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:34 PM

We have recently put a system in. We bought our system. It's forecast to generate just under 80% of our annual usage. We are all electric. If we can do addition energy saving upgrades, we might save even more. We generate some even on cloudy days. Our record high day so far is 66.1 kwh. Our first full month electric bill was about $15. Right now our meter is in minus numbers (credit).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Installation was done today. The complete job only took about six hours. Now we will see.
GuzziJohn
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziJohn1 View Post
Installation was done today. The complete job only took about six hours. Now we will see.
GuzziJohn
Were you on a all electric home ,before ? Keep us posted .
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

My heat is propane, however everything else is electric. I also have two sump pumps that run much of the time. My sunroom and my shop both have the electric in wall heat/AC units like you commonly see in motels. My electric bill year around averages about $200 a month. This system should roughly cut that in half, maybe a bit better.
GuzziJohn
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 PM

i had a solar system installed a year and a half ago . 13.3 kw , no batteries . went from $200 a month avg. to 8.50 (power co. delevery charge. ) i get around $500. a year in solar credits and excess power credits. at current rates i should be $ 35,000 to the good for 25 years . ps : md has state and county credits in addition to the federal credit .
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:45 PM

updated having read the whole thread, here in Md. the power co. ( baltimore gas & electric in my case ) has to buy excess power but at wholesale rates . i had to sign an agreement with them as a power provider. the system was expensive ( 30k ) but over half was covered by the tax credits , ie : 30% federal $5,000 state and 1500 county. my system is warrantied both for proformance and parts and labor for 25 years .
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:45 PM

How much did the tax credits (government subsidy) save on the cost of the system?
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

From oldandslow:
Quote:
How much did the tax credits (government subsidy) save on the cost of the system?
In KS you only get the federal tax credit which is 30%. Some states offer tax credits also, but not KS. The federal credit will end at the end of this year unless extended.
GuzziJohn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page