Took the solar plunge - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Default Took the solar plunge

Going to have an 8KW solar system installed next month. After tax credit, even if our power company never raised the rates it will pay for itself in just over 13 years based on our current usage. The panels have a 25 yr warranty and should produce 90+ of rated power even after 20 years. The panels will be mounted on my shed roof, not the house.
GuzziJohn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:59 PM

Gun Cabinet

Very good friend had a large system installed, hers has a ratchet on the meter so any overage goes to the electric company which they buy, also when there is no producing sun then they sell it back to her, she has a large house and now her average elect bill is about 20 dollars a month hers is several large racks of panels mounted on low poles in her back yard very neat looking system so far she is very happy with the system.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 PM
dcw

Lightbulb

my cousin installed solar a few years back and he's nearly paid for it now.

I live in a modular house and solar companies will not install on the roof...

besides...payments would offset savings...

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:14 PM

Let one of our hail storms show up.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

From Argent11:
Quote:
Let one of our hail storms show up.
That is a concern. They are damage resistant through ping pong sized hail. If damaged it is covered by home owners insurance. I have lived here 15 years in July and have yet to have hail bigger than that.
GuzziJohn
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 AM

Son has the system and loved it.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:13 AM

So what's the bottom line (cost $$$)?

The people who were living across the street had a system installed on their roof. It looks like crap. They sold the house less than a year after installation. Then the new owner sold it after less than six months. Now it's a rental. I've been told that none of the people who live there now work. As near as I can tell there are a couple of fat girls with little kids living there and now and then a guy will show up.

The owner who had the roof panels installed could have saved a lot of money, because I'm betting that the roof panels didn't do a thing for the sale price. Electricity here would have to get a lot more expensive before I would even start to think about roof panels. I think our electric rate is about the cheapest in the country--but they're working on it. Almost all of our power is hydro, but the stupid voters approved a law that required renewable (wind power). There are also some co-gen plants that burn plentiful natural gas. The windmills sit idle and now the co-gen plants are down too. Too much hydro power, but the non-hydro generators that are down get subsidized by the dam power. And of course as I have said before, hydro power is not considered to be "green" and renewable power. And the Chinese win again--thanks to the idiot Dummycratics in our state government.

Swingem
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

In my case the panels will be mounted on the back facing roof of my shed. Only visible if you crossed my lake and came up behind us. Costs? It appears that I will have total payback at around 13 years. Property value? Well here anyway doing a little research shows that a well done solar setup does increase value. The company I am going through has an excellent reputation.
GuzziJohn
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM

I guess it depends on where you are located. I know here in Wisconsin it is not cost effective to install panels as we don't get nearly enough sunny months to make it work. My aunt and uncle got a big system put in several years back and they were so excited to save money and the planet, yada, yada, yada... Yeah their libs... She sheepishly avoids conversation about how much money she has saved....

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziJohn1 View Post
Going to have an 8KW solar system installed next month. After tax credit, even if our power company never raised the rates it will pay for itself in just over 13 years based on our current usage. The panels have a 25 yr warranty and should produce 90+ of rated power even after 20 years. The panels will be mounted on my shed roof, not the house.
GuzziJohn

Does your system have battery storage or does it just dump excess solar power back into the power grid?
What kind of credit do you get for your generated solar power from the power company?

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV, 25-06 UH, 30-30, 7-08, 223, 308 Survivor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page