The day my Grandpa sold a dead horse.. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Default The day my Grandpa sold a dead horse..

Well.. he didn't actually sell the horse..he traded the animal..

As I said in an earlier post, my avatar is photo of my grandpa, about 1890. When he left racing horses, he launched out into horse training and dealing in a big way.

He had 2 or 3 farms which were all very busy, between 1900 and about 1920

Grandpa came by a horse that was a beautiful pacer, gorgeous to look at, beautiful movement, and had much "WOW" factor.

One problem, a pacer should be able to hold that pace with a light rig, almost indefinitely..but this horse had "hives".. and old expression for asthma.

Gramps could barely take that horse to town (about 1.5 miles) but what the horse needed a long break..

Truth be known, that horse was not long for this world.

At that time, many wealthy dandies were moving out from the city, desiring to build an enviable stable and gain a reputation thereby.

One of those dandies, took a shine to gramp's pacer, and tried to buy the horse, every time he saw Grandpa, but Grandpa passed him off, since doing a dirty deal could ruin a man's reputation.

Well, one morning, looking out into the pasture, Grandpa saw that horse had died, out under the old Spy apple tree.

So Grandpa called my Dad, and two of my uncles..each over 250#..and told them to go stand that horse up against the tree 'in just such a way,' since rigor mortis was set...and a few invisible braces helped.

Then my Grandpa settled down on his front porch to wait for the dandy to come by..which he did regularly each day, on his way to & from the store & post office.

It was only a few minutes before the dandy came back by from town, with a buckboard and pacer horse. Spotting his wish under the apple tree and stopping, the dandy once more made another offer for the ailing horse.

My Grandpa replied.."You know..I haven't been using that horse much lately (for obvious reasons) and I may just trade him for the right deal".

Dandy quickly replies.."Make an offer, I'm ready to deal".. Grandpa says, " OK..the horse and buckboard you have, plus $40 (big money in 1910)..and you can take him home".

Quickly, the dandy accepts..Grandpa provides him a rope and halter, and tells him to go and get his horse..

In just a few minutes the dandy is back shouting..."Bill..that horse is DEAD !"

Grandpa cooly replies.."Now, you didn't ask me if he was still living, did you."

Grandpad of course, did not hold him to the deal, but warned him that he should always check the trade closely..at the time of the trade..

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 06-18-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo corrections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:55 PM

Gun Cabinet

so is that were the story one trick pony came from
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagia308 View Post
so is that were the story one trick pony came from
One trick pony? What is that?

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:32 PM

LOL, I love those kind of stories. Keep'em coming.

Kids today are missing a lot when they don't hear'em.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

My grandpa's neighbor owned a german shepherd dog that was mean as sin. That dog happened to come into grandpa's yard and chewed up a Jack Russell that meant the world to me and he had also worked over grandpa's Border Collie Tuff. Grandpa caught him in the act of working over Buddy the Jack Russell and killed him with his 16 gauge. He told my cousin Uggy(just what I called him) and I to dig a hole and bury him. The neighbor showed up inquiring as to whether grandpa had seen his Shepherd. Gramps said yup he was in my front yard for the second time in a week chewing up one of my dogs so I kilt him. The boys buried him out by the garden and are digging a second hole for the owner should he show up and have a problem with me shooting his @#$!*^ dog! We weren't really digging a second hole and as it turned out we didn't need it anyway!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps next..Grandpa on election day..Or perhaps, Grandpas big imported horse deal..

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Thanks guy's. Great stories. Maybe a couple more and I might even throw in...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Just one caveat for this particular thread.. There are plenty of threads for "yarns", but let's keep this thread confined to true experiences as they occurred with some families.

Of course, there could be some word-for-word slippage through the years, but in the interest of history and the "old days"..let's confine this thread, as much as possible, to true incidents.

So if you have a good "family memory"..please, fire away !

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 AM

Ironglow, no horse trading tales although I had an uncle that did that along with other occupations through his lifetime. It seemed like he couldn't settle on one thing and was always switching. I just want to recommend some books by a oldtime Texas horse trader turned vet that you and others might enjoy. It's all true stories from his lifetime and are hilarious. I read his first, "Horse Trading", because he operated in the same area of Texas as where my dad grew up although in a little earlier time frame. I couldn't put the book down until finished and I was hooked and now have all his books of trading and vet tales. Some will bring tears to you eyes from laughing. Most of his books are available on Amazon.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
Ironglow, no horse trading tales although I had an uncle that did that along with other occupations through his lifetime. It seemed like he couldn't settle on one thing and was always switching. I just want to recommend some books by a oldtime Texas horse trader turned vet that you and others might enjoy. It's all true stories from his lifetime and are hilarious. I read his first, "Horse Trading", because he operated in the same area of Texas as where my dad grew up although in a little earlier time frame. I couldn't put the book down until finished and I was hooked and now have all his books of trading and vet tales. Some will bring tears to you eyes from laughing. Most of his books are available on Amazon.
Thanks, you cn give details for an exceptional book. ..but of course, it's the old but true stories we would like here..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page