Air Conritioner Question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Air Conritioner Question

I have a air conditioner that I think the compressor has locked up and as it is old I was thinking of just buying a new outside unit But I was told that the new unites are not compatible with the old a coil and lines as the Freon and oil is different so anyone in the know is this true? My adult son just had his changed and they changed out everything. I know the Freon is different but I would think if you purged the lines and a coil that would fix that part .

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Went on the net and found the answer that nothing is compatible with the old stuff a coil lines and out side unit have to be replaced because of different type of oil and way to expensive to try to flush old stuff.
Deaconllb

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:57 AM

You can order a new out door unit from some distributor's with no oil or freon in them. But if the system is R22 the cost of the gas could be really high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Also the flush is not that bad as there is a product made to do it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 AM

The question is how good of shape indoor unit is.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootall3 View Post
You can order a new out door unit from some distributor's with no oil or freon in them. But if the system is R22 the cost of the gas could be really high
We just went through this and R22 is $100.00 a pound and our old system used 10 pounds. But if his compressoris shot like ours was that was going to be another grand. If they could even find one.
The tech said that the greenies slipped that one one in on us a few years ago. Like they did with R12.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
Went on the net and found the answer that nothing is compatible with the old stuff a coil lines and out side unit have to be replaced because of different type of oil and way to expensive to try to flush old stuff.
Deaconllb
OK. We went through the very same thing and getting that old system up and running again was going to
cost nearly as much as replacing the entire system. We had quotes as high as 8k for a new system but
we found a guy that got us a new Goodman for 5200 installed. You can buy a Goodman system on Amazon
for a couple of grand but I had no idea how to put that in.

I will say this, the Goodman he put in is awesome, much better than our old comfort maker. A lot cheaper to
run also. The tech was able to keep our old copper supply lines where other company's were wanting to
replace them. It's a pain I know but Goodman is supposed to be the Cadillac.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

I hate to say this but when our old original outside unit which was a Bryant went out it was replaced with a Goodman and with the Goodman it was always breaking down because of the contactors going bad I think I had them replaced 4 or 5 times other wise it has worked pretty good. In our area you get what the big contractor supply house is selling which in our area is Goodman. Our local RV supply store in town is selling American Standard and I must say it really looks like a top of the line unit but it is the new freeon type. My son gave me his old Heil 4 ton that is full charged and was working good when removed so I think I will get it installed for now and maybe it will outlast me.

Deaconllb

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootall3 View Post
We just went through this and R22 is $100.00 a pound and our old system used 10 pounds. But if his compressoris shot like ours was that was going to be another grand. If they could even find one.
The tech said that the greenies slipped that one one in on us a few years ago. Like they did with R12.
The dates for stopping production we're set years ago. R12 is still produced for the federal government. It is used as a cleaner in production of certian military products so it is allowed.
In the long run a matched system will in most cases save money .
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
Deaconllb
OK. We went through the very same thing and getting that old system up and running again was going to
cost nearly as much as replacing the entire system. We had quotes as high as 8k for a new system but
we found a guy that got us a new Goodman for 5200 installed. You can buy a Goodman system on Amazon
for a couple of grand but I had no idea how to put that in.

I will say this, the Goodman he put in is awesome, much better than our old comfort maker. A lot cheaper to
run also. The tech was able to keep our old copper supply lines where other company's were wanting to
replace them. It's a pain I know but Goodman is supposed to be the Cadillac.
Around here ants get into the contactor and get crushed between the points. Sometimes you can spread ant killer around the unit to help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page