Cougars Attacks - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Default Cougars Attacks

The Pacific Northwest has seen two fatalities from big cat attacks in the last year. In May of 2018, one mountain biker was killed and another injured after a mountain lion pounced on the pair.

In October, a Gresham woman was killed by a cougar on Mount Hood while hiking.

Oregon hiker killed in Mount Hood cougar attack suffered broken neck, puncture wounds

Diana Bober's body was discovered about 300 feet off the Hunchback Trail in the Mount Hood National Forest and down a steep incline, records released this week show.

Still, experts say cougar attacks are exceedingly rare. Over the last 100 years, there have been a total of about two dozen fatal attacks and less than 100 non-fatal attacks, according to the Associated Press. The hikerís death in Oregon was the first in recorded state history.

They are not rare anymore. The're becoming more frequent every year. Here in Southern Oregon we are seeing more cougars in and around towns than ever before. As the logging industry kills off more habitat for wildlife, they are moving closer to towns where food is available.

The deer (And other wildlife)populations have dwindled here in western Oregon due to the spraying of harmful chemicals to kill unwanted natural vegetation to allow only fir trees to grow.Simply put, they have nothing to eat in the forests anymore because of the greedy timber industry. If I sound like a tree hugging Liberal, I'm not.I'm for harvesting our natural resources,but do so without harming nature.

Log the forests,but do so without cutting down native hardwoods and spraying to stop them and other food sources from growing.Do it without these dam chemicals that we know are hazardous to all forms of life. If you live in the pacific NW in a rural area, you better start looking over your shoulder when out in the great outdoors. You might have a big cat stalking you or your child.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:40 PM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Statistics can be misleading, especially when used by "experts" who have an agenda!

They say the 100 year average is about 1 and 1/4 attacks per year, but there were 3 attacks in one year recently (2018). Makes you wonder about the 100 year "average". For example how many occurred during the past, say 10 years as compared to the number 50 or 90 years ago? Perhaps by using the 100 year average the "experts" are trying to downplay an increase in attacks.

I know the attacks certainly seem to be more frequent judging by the reports I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:44 PM

Gun Cabinet

i had a girl friend once a little older then me she was cougar too
she could attack to swing a mean frying pan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 PM

My son in CO is shopping for a pocket carry to take on the trail specifically with mountain cats and other predators in mind (wants to conceal so as not to spook the tree huggers). Evidently they've seen a rise of interactions in CO as well. A few years back we were in NJ and they had a rise of Black Bear interactions, even in urban/suburban areas. Poor wildlife management is a contributing factor IMHO.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

TN said: Poor wildlife management is a contributing factor IMHO.
Very true! Oregon and Washington Wildlife management is non existent. They have done nothing to enhance the wildlife and their answer to dwindling license sales is simply to keep raising the cost to them to make up the difference because of the decline in hunter and fishing licenses.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 AM

I live in Virginia and have seen three mountain lions. One about five feet away . If it had not been for a pack of deer dogs not sure what it would have done.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:04 PM

My fifteen year old daughter sent me a link about the nebraska season and said lets go dad!!! Well, maybe i will look into an electronic caller and try to find a female in heat call as the season coinsides with the breeding season.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Yeah we've got lions--mountain and sea lions. I prefer the mountain lions over sea lions. I've never been attacked by either, but I have gotten the stink eye from a number of sea lions. I'm a kayaker and when the big Stellars are out there devastating our salmon runs, I go out of my way to avoid those monsters. I guess when all the fish are gone, the sea lions will go away.

The big cats are spotted around town, but mostly they stay on the outskirts. I confess that when I ride my bike in rural areas, I keep an eye open. I know I can't outrun those critters if I don't get a head start. I purposely don't carry when I'm riding my bike, because I don't trust myself not to take out some stupid car driver who tries to run me down. Certain things you do have risks and that's just the way it is.

Swingem
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by magooch View Post
Yeah we've got lions--mountain and sea lions. I prefer the mountain lions over sea lions. I've never been attacked by either, but I have gotten the stink eye from a number of sea lions. I'm a kayaker and when the big Stellars are out there devastating our salmon runs, I go out of my way to avoid those monsters. I guess when all the fish are gone, the sea lions will go away.

The big cats are spotted around town, but mostly they stay on the outskirts. I confess that when I ride my bike in rural areas, I keep an eye open. I know I can't outrun those critters if I don't get a head start. I purposely don't carry when I'm riding my bike, because I don't trust myself not to take out some stupid car driver who tries to run me down. Certain things you do have risks and that's just the way it is.
when out and about remember always at least carry a pocket pistol a few shots say f 22lr hollow points out of my phoenix that holds 10 rounds in the mag at a big cat will scare it away

Last edited by sagia308; 06-27-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page