The metric measurement system - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Default The metric measurement system

I really, really, really don't care for it. Hate it in fact. We are told it's an easier system to use. B***S***. I had a self locking nut fall off a component on my jeep. Good original equipment, jeep. I finally had to remove the bracket and take it to NAPA to find the correct size and thread pitch to fit. There are three thread pitches for 12 mm bolts. It's amazing that we got by with only national coarse and national fine for most (not all) bolt threads for all those years but some how three different threads are better now. I used to be able to look at a bolt and see what thread it had and what size wrench it took to fit it but not anymore. In the interest of fitting in with the rest of the world we have to switch. I can still do that with good old USA measurement bolts but all I can tell with a metric one is I don't have a clue except it's little or big and has really fine or slightly less fine threads.

I build quite a few gadgets and you can bet on one thing. There are no metric bolts involved and everything comes up right on USA calibrated measuring insturments. An inch is an inch and a foot is a foot ot some fractional or decimal measurement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:45 PM

I agree.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:57 PM

oldandslow, you got that right! Its all part of the master plan to turn the Glorious U.S. of A into some grotesque offshoot of that place we fought a Revolutionary War to break free of altogether......and that means Europe, not just England, AND that metric system....... Why I wont buy a flashlight that is measured in "lumens"..... what happened to candle power? Now there is a measurement that makes some sense!

Why on earth would we want to replace a perfectly fine 3/8 machine threaded bolt with some metric abomination when our hardware stores are filled with SAE bolts? ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!

Europe is just jealous of our Bill Of Rights because they are stuck with that system that doesnt make any sense and as the old saying goes...."MISERY LOVES COMPANY" So ABOLISH THE METRIC SYSTEM AND BRING SANITY BACK INTO THE WORLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM

P.S.: I dont like the metric system either.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

You must not buy any flashlights. I can't remember the last time I saw one that was rated in candlepower.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
You must not buy any flashlights. I can't remember the last time I saw one that was rated in candlepower.
It's all this now. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:24 PM

I have been trying to explain to a bunch of airheads over on 24 hour campfire that the metric system sucks and some of them actually are defending it!

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

When I was studying engineering in the sixties, I couldn't wait for us to get converted because it simplified calculations by eliminating all the silly convertions from feet to inches and to miles, etc. Now that I'm retired, I don't care. BUT design costs would be lower if we used metric measurements and calculation errors would be lower. However, we "Americans" are to dumb to see the value in a better system. Instead we use a system that originally used the length of the the king's foot as the basic unit of measurements. Really smart!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Hold on to your American values as long as you can. The rest of the people on the PLANET use the metric system. That means 350 million Americans (~4.5% of total World population) are out of step with 7,150 Million (7.5 Billion total) inhabitants on the planet.

Not saying one or the other is right, or better, just that I have two tool boxes and know how to use both. One for the Foreign car (I used to have a '69 VW Bug - and it was FUN) and one for American.

My stash of odd nuts, bolts, washers, etc., is a mix of metric and American threaded parts. Nearly everything from China, and it is difficult to avoid "everything" from China while working to Buy American, everything from China, Japan, India, Taiwan, Vietnam, Australia, England, Canada, etc., everything other than US Made, is made with metric parts.

How you going to stop that flood? It is true that NASA Scientists lost a Mars Explorer Spacecraft when their engineers failed to make the correct conversion for velocity and the craft augared into the surface of that planet rather than decelerate to a survivable landing speed. Billions of US dollars were lost on that episode. Less dollars for Welfare I suppose...

It was true (not sure now as I am retired), that the US Army Corps of Engineers through Federal legislative mandate, were responsible for producing metric design and construction in the USA on a recurring basis. I participated in some of those metric designs. I've designed in metric for work that was to be constructed in Australia, Japan, throughout the Caribbean, and the United States. Considering the work force everywhere ELSE, metric is the Rule rather than the exception. Metric is a TOOL like our American system. but is unpopular here for various reasons.

It takes a little getting used. It soon becomes as simple and EASY as 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, 5280 feet to the mile, etc.

We use conversions EVERY DAY. It is just that the American conversions are our "standard", so we're used to them, but no so throughout the remainder of the PLANET.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:14 AM

The three different thread pitches is the deal breaker for me as well.

Itís come a time that I just reach for the metric set first, and am rarely disappointed. Iíve come to really respect Torx type fasteners too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page