Graybeard Outdoors banner

White sneakers as formal wear

486 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bob Riebe 
#1 ·
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...g-celebrity-trends-say-etiquette-experts.html

The daily mail article rants against the use of white sneakers as formal wear. They're behind the times. Pristinely white sneakers have been formal and daily wear for seniors in places like Florida and Texas for a long time. I don't know how they manage to keep them as clean as they do. They must get a new pair every couple of weeks.

#2 ·
Connecticut Yankee in Queen Elizabeths court. Oh the scandal...

Wait till they find burnt ends, corn on the cob, baked beans and Miller 16oz cans at the next feed. You’ll recognize the Duchess, she’ll be in Daisy Duke cut bib overalls, and a tube top.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

#3 · (Edited)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...g-celebrity-trends-say-etiquette-experts.html

The daily mail article rants against the use of white sneakers as formal wear. They're behind the times. Pristinely white sneakers have been formal and daily wear for seniors in places like Florida and Texas for a long time. I don't know how they manage to keep them as clean as they do. They must get a new pair every couple of weeks.

Actually they are very easy to keep clean if you know how. I have a pair that I bought in '02 and although they seldom get worn anymore they were worn a lot in their first few years as they are very comfortable. They are still clean although they are beginning to come apart along the soles. I only notice it when I clean them. I suppose I should start wearing them regularly and finish them off.
On the rare occasion I dress up I put on my cowboy boots. Weddings and funerals only. I've never worn sneakers as dress-up footwear and never will.

#7 ·
I do not wear sneakers, of any type without exception, as formal wear and find anyone who does so to be a vulgar troglodyte.
Sneakers are leisure sports wear and nothing more.
Sadly the variety of formal shoes available , unless one wishes to pay for very high dollar shoes, is greatly reduced with the death of most department stores.
There is a Cobbler Shop here that sells high buck shoes and I just may fork out some bucks to have a truly good pair of shoes before I die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.