Nothing ever works the the way it's supposed to. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Default Nothing ever works the the way it's supposed to.

Last night the swamp cooler started making a squeeking sound and slowing down and speeding up. Wife gets excited and tells me something is wrong with the cooler like I hadn't noticed. I told her I would just turn it off and get up there in the morning and tighten the belt and this morning I did so. Put up the extension ladder, got the right wrench, and a long screw driver for a pry bar ( doesn't take much leverage to raise the motor) and up the ladder I went. Oh, hooray, the belt is loose alright but not because it's stretched. The pivot bolt on the motor side of the motor mount was broken off flush with the squirrel cage letting the mount droop. OK, another trip down and back up the ladder to get a cordless drill, spring powered center punch. drill bit, tap and tap wrench, bolt and washer. I had a sneaky idea I had replaced this bolt with a stainless one as I has replaced both adjusting bolts years ago with stainless to keep them from rusting in place. Sure enough I had and apparently it was made with 316 stainless as I only managed to get deep enough with a new new DeWalt bullet bit to make the end of the bolt shiny. Getting nowhere with that I stopped and dug around in my hat bag to find my southern engineering hat and put it on. Since the mount only needs something to pivot on and is captured by the adjustment bolt I drilled a hole just below the mount frame in the sheet metal of the squirrel cage. Another trip down and up the ladder for a !/4" sheet metal screw and I'm back in business. It worked just as good as the original pivot bolt. The cooler is running and the wife is happy which makes me happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM

You were up on a roof walking around? Your tuff, I wouldn't even attempt that anymore. We were thinking about a swamp cooler.But we lucked out and the insurance put in a new central air. O&S it's almost unbelievable what our power bill was. The entire month of July was only $132 for the entire house, and it's all electric.
What ever those HVAC company's
are doing it works. If you can deal with that loud jet engine noise lol.

The old one would have been easily $250 or more. But let's see what it does this winter, that's the big test. SPS said it shouldn't make any difference.

Last edited by Argent11; 08-16-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

If vibration is the issue that is shearing off 316 SST bolts, how long will it be before you are back up there with a wallowed out sheet metal hole? Sheet metal is notorious for appearing strong. It will let you down every day and twice on Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 PM

Does that southern engineering hat have Brillo sticking out...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

I mighta known a real engineer would find fault with my fix.

OK. it doesn't viberate. The motor and fan bearings are good. Why the bolt broke is beyond me and frankly I don't really care why it did. If it does turn loose the worst thing that can happen is the motor drops down in the same place it was after the bolt broke and the belt starts slipping again. How am I doing so far? Meet your criteria yet? If not think about this. It's been up there for over twenty years and despite my scrapping, brushing, and painting every spring the pan is about rusted out and it's going to swamp cooler heaven this fall when it gets shut down for winter and I'll have a brand spankin' new one next spring. That's going to fix everything for a time----until the pan coating lets go and the rusts starts.

If the new one lasts twenty years and I'm still around I'll be in an old folks home most likely and won't give a hoot what happens to it

Three trips up there this morning, Argent. Hooray for me, I'm tuff. Hope I don't have to go up there anymore until it's time to shut it down for the winter.

Last edited by oldandslow; 08-16-2019 at 07:26 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:44 PM

Are you sure that was 316 steel?
I bought some square head stainless steel screws for installing a deck and did not want to have to deal with rust stain or stripped philoips type heads when removing.
One out of four snapped going in and another large number snapped when I had to replace some rotted boards not that many years later.
I found that stainless is not cheap but that is one area where you dam# sure get what you pay.

I recently rebuilt an arbor with stainless bolts but I paid a LOT for each bolt and had to special order them.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 08-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
I mighta known a real engineer would find fault with my fix.
You betcha and thank you for the back handed complement. I cruise this site looking for all sorts of industrial accidents waiting for a place to happen, then interject just enough questions to irritate the devil out of the OP, so the Southern Engineer in me can come out to play. I am much better providing fixer-upper specifications when there is an investigative report on the problem - with pictures, a site visit to kick the tires, an estimate of the owner's cost tolerance, who is responsible for maintenance (was any done?), the last known bar sighting of the BIL that installed the former fix, and the quickest route out of town.

Failing these and higher order solutions run the gambit from "Who would have thunk it?" to "There's not a chance in #e!! of that surviving the summer!", but you have to pay extra for one of those. Otherwise, chewing gum, bailing wire, and spit are the watchwords for a quality fix.

How may I help you?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=land_owner;2055930396]You betcha and thank you for the back handed complement. I cruise this site looking for all sorts of industrial accidents waiting for a place to happen, then interject just enough questions to irritate the devil out of the OP, so the Southern Engineer in me can come out to play. I am much better providing fixer-upper specifications when there is an investigative report on the problem - with pictures, a site visit to kick the tires, an estimate of the owner's cost tolerance, who is responsible for maintenance (was any done?), the last known bar sighting of the BIL that installed the former fix, and the quickest route out of town.

Failing these and higher order solutions run the gambit from "Who would have thunk it?" to "There's not a chance in #e!! of that surviving the summer!", but you have to pay extra for one of those. Otherwise, chewing gum, bailing wire, and spit are the watchwords for a quality fix.

How may I help you?[/QUOTE

No irritation here. You just came off a bit like some of the engineers I have worked with over the years and I learned to ignore their superior attitude long ago. I made a fair amount of my living repairing, rebuilding, and up grading some of they work that didn't stand up to doing what it was supposed to. Not all were like that and were good guys interested in designing equipment that would do it's job with minimal upkeep and maintanance. They weren't above picking the brains of people that actually had experience with what they were working on either. Since I don't know you personally where you fit in my personal spectrum of engineer personalities can't be decided by yet.

Now to how you can help. How about showing up here about mid-October and climbing on top of the house and removing the old cooler that I southern engineered to last a few weeks. That would be a big help and I'm sure the job would be done correctly since an engineer would be in charge.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I only studied Physics in high school and college. I didn't master it. This Bumble don't bounce and I am allergic to gravity my friend. Better to find a younger set of knees that can actually climb a straight ladder and I will keep my engineering comments to myself.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:33 PM

Hooray for you O&S. I would be afraid to try that, and I'm younger than you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page