Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Reminds me to Never Lasso a Deer

URL deleted due to computer threat at that site. My Avast stopped it from loading and ran a scan to verify it had quarantined it.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=land_owner;2055941464]Reminds me to Never Lasso a Deer

URL deleted due to computer threat at that site. My Avast stopped it from loading and ran a scan to verify it had quarantined it.

You think that was bad, saw a guy rope one from horseback. Ended badly for the horse, rider, his saddle, and the rope. The deer didn't have a scratch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post

Anybody with half a brain should know when any animal lays its ears back it's not going to end well
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 PM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillbilly View Post
Anybody with half a brain should know when any animal lays its ears back it's not going to end well
that's a DUH moment if I ever saw one, I have been that close to deer before and was well prepared to get the snot kicked out of me, The first year I used those sent neutralizing soaps on me and my clothes I had a doe stop and sniff me up close and personal on 2 different occasions, I thought about spooking them to make them move on, But thought way better of it, I know hard to believe I had a good thought
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

hehe there SEM.

Siting quietly and still while on the ground next to a stump, I had a button buck of about 90 pounds come within 5 feet, sniffing and cautiously investigating me. At 5 feet, I ASKED him OUT LOUD to go in another direction. The immediate aghast look in his eye (that stump is ALIVE and it's HUMAN!), his running not 20 yards away, and his snorting for nearly TWO MINUTES thereafter, told me he got the point and I neither got bitten nor had the snot kicked out of me.

Win-Win in my book and a real exciting day in the woods.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:48 AM

If you're still enough all manner of creatures will come up and investigate you. I was standing on the back porch in Eufaula and two very young raccoons came up the steps and started to sniff my toes. I was wearing flip-flops at the time.....
I've had younger deer stick their heads onto my blind on more than one occasion.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I had a Carolina Wren investigate all of the folds in my Australian Duster as I sat as still as tree bark on stand.

I had been watching a Red Shouldered Hawk for more than 15 minutes on its perch from about 40 yards away. The Hawk was intent on watching me too and decided my eyeballs (through heavy head covering and camo concealment) were worth investigating. It literally launched itself into thin air on outstretched wings and flew toward me.

At the stand the hawk extended its talons in front and prepared to strike. At the last instant, it veered off while I was raising my well protected forearm to cover my face. I think the hawk was the more startled.

I have had gray squirrels and flying squirrels use my shoulder and arm to scurry up trees and as a "jumping off" platform. I didn't mind the "jumping off" as the flying squirrel family was just passing through. I got to watch them glide to the ground and run away.

The scurrying up-down part is always problematic, as in the potential to get bitten. A gray squirrel inches from the ear on the backside of the tree "chuck-chuck-chucking" its bark and warning to others within the forest's earshot means the Jig is Up and I'm busted for either moving, breathing, smelling, or otherwise startling the bushy tailed rodent.

A young turkey came within several feet while investigating me as its flock ambled off in another direction. I sat very still at the base of a tree and watched while it inched closer and closer. At two feet, it had sated its curiosity, turned around, and walked back the same way it came, looking over its shoulder but without rushing or fear.

Last edited by land_owner; 09-11-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillbilly View Post
+1

Yup. Ears laid back. Saw it right off.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
If you're still enough all manner of creatures will come up and investigate you. I was standing on the back porch in Eufaula and two very young raccoons came up the steps and started to sniff my toes. I was wearing flip-flops at the time.....
I've had younger deer stick their heads onto my blind on more than one occasion.
Agreed. I have had squirrels run across my boots while still hunting for deer.

However, this particular person looks like they approached the doe and then reached out to it like it was a lost dog. I can only assume the individual approached from down wind and the deer could not get a snoot full until the very last few inches from its nose.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in